Tv is sabotaging me.

Options
2»

Replies

• cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Every time I get home from work I get on Netflix or watch my recorded shows. I eat so good throughout the day but as soon as I turn that tv on, I eat eat eat. I cant watch anything without have a a snack or meal.

Last night I downlaoded a new book on my kindle. Going to read after work instead. Lets see how and if this makes a difference.

If you're going to watch TV, do something else while you're watching.

I can't just watch TV. Boring!

I need to do stuff ... housework, exercise, projects on the computer ...

Just start doing stuff. Every time a commercial comes on, get up and do something. It's harder to eat if you're rushing around the house cleaning it, doing laundry, etc. etc.

I have to chime in on this as well, I actually find myself bored if I just sit and watch tv! I usually walk back and forth or jog in place while watching tv, or make use of a pair of dumbbells, or resistance bands. If you have done your exercise for the day, try doing a craft project or a puzzle while you watch tv, or fold laundry! If you still feel like you need to eat something, keep a water bottle nearby, take a sip every time you want to snack. It won't take long to form new and healthier habits!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    Gonna echo the others here - tv isn't sabotaging you, but rather habitual eating is.

I don't actually agree with "replacement" behaviors. You don't need to do another thing to stop habitual eating. Just take control of that habit, and make it healthy.

I've come to realize that if i take a bag of chips to the couch, i'll eat most or all of the bag. I'll only quit when i hit the bottom of the bag, or when i become mindful of how many chips i've eaten, and feel shameful.

But when i get out a small snack bowl and pour a few chips into it, and then take THAT to the couch, i'm quite satisfied with a reasonable portion.

I have lost a third of my goal by just being mindful of my eating. When i feel powerless and compelled to engage in a habit, i have learned to stop and really examine that feeling so that i can take control of my eating and get healthy, physically and emotionally.

Having a 'replacement' hobby works for a lot of people. I'm a habit snacker, and I've found that if I distract myself with art or something, that munchie feeling goes away unless I'm actually hungry.

OP: Finding something to do with your hands and brain while you watch tv can help. You can also make it a rule to not have food in the room where your tv is, at least for a while. That's what I had to do, only mine was my office. I figure if I'm really hungry, I'm willing to walk downstairs and make something, but if it's just munchies, I'm too lazy to do it. XD