Fitbit vs. Polar HRM?

Options
c4rped1em
c4rped1em Posts: 13 Member
I'm looking into purchasing one of these awesome tools. I'm trying to research which is better. Do you have one of the two? What do you like about it? What don't you like so much about it?

Thanks for your guys' help! :)

Replies

• AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    They have very different functions. What type of working out do you do? Do you do high intensity workouts or just hope to burn calories throughout the day?

I used a fitbit for a few months and found that it was helpful when I was on vacation and not "working out" to figure out how much walking I had done, but didn't work at the gym at all because it is basically a pedometer.

I switched to a Polar HRM for my workouts and a cheap pedometer just to give me an idea how many steps I have for the day while on vacation.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're looking for for data. Are you looking for an all day calorie burn estimate or just for your exercises. For all day, Fitbit would be the better choice as HRMS aren't designed for all day calorie burn calculations. For just working out, definitely go with the Polar HRM. Also, as I understand it, if you're doing more than walking or running or stairs (something that involves stepping), the Fitbit's not great with estimating exercise calories.
  • c4rped1em
    c4rped1em Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Interesting info. I usually do about an hour of cardio each day, running/inclined brisk walking, elliptical, arc trainer, etc. I was curious about using it all day but I guess I'm mainly looking for my workouts.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... they serve different purposes.

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio. If whatever you are doing isn't steady state and/or isn't cardio, it won't likely be very accurate.

FitBits are more of a general activity monitor. They are reasonably effective estimating cals for "daily life" (i.e. all the things you do throughout the day that aren't workouts/exercise). IME, they are lousy when it comes to most workouts.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I own a Polar HRM, for workouts, and a FitBit One, for general monitoring of activity and sleep and for motivating me to see fitness as an around-the-clock thing rather than something I do at a fitness center.
  • blurfish
    blurfish Posts: 10
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One and have been using it for 6 months now. BUT, as others have said, it can be limiting in terms of what it can track. Walking is the foundation of my workouts but I have added strength training. I can log into my Fitbit account and enter the weight training activity, and then it'll calculate my calories burned. For all the tennis that you do, the HRM might be a better choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Two completely different functions. A HRM is going to be better tracking your HR zones as well as calories burned during an aerobic event...it's completely worthless unless you're performing and aerobic event though...so you can't just wear it around all day and be accurate.

A Fitbit is to be worn all day and give you a reasonably good estimation of how many calories you burn throughout the day.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used a fitbit for awhile and found it to be an expensive pedometer. I'd like to find mine so I can sell it. I'd like an HRM for times when I don't have a built-in HRM...such as when running outside.