Kefir recommendation

Options
I have never had kefir, what is a yummy brand and how do you eat it?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you like sour? Thick and sour? Then buy it straight. I take mine in a shot glass because this is the way I like it.

Do you like something sweet and strawberry-ish that you can add to a shake? Then get the sweetened kind with fruit.

I think there is only one brand here so that's what I've gotten. Or you can get kefir grains from a health food store and make your own.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    P.S. My daughter hates anything white, creamy, or sour. So she shudders at the thought.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Do you like sour? Thick and sour? Then buy it straight. I take mine in a shot glass because this is the way I like it.

Do you like something sweet and strawberry-ish that you can add to a shake? Then get the sweetened kind with fruit.

I think there is only one brand here so that's what I've gotten. Or you can get kefir grains from a health food store and make your own.
    Good to know! I do like to make a parfait but not sure if I like sour :(, Thank you!

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Think of it as Liquid Yogurt... that's really the texture of it... rather like yogurt only a runnier texture. Yum! I drink it from a glass or in cereal. Lifeway? I'm pretty sure that's the brand I like best... I have Peach in the fridge right now and love it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lifeway&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=lifeway+kefir+coupons Here's a link I found on Google that you can get Coupons from their site, they send you some or you can print them.

http://lifewaykefir.com/ They also have frozen products and more.
  • DaisiesandViolets
    DaisiesandViolets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We usually buy Lifeway brand. Either strawberry or blueberry. I like to pour it over a nice fruit salad with berries and papaya and some chopped nuts or granola. Yum!
  • hellonew2015
    Options

Think of it as Liquid Yogurt... that's really the texture of it... rather like yogurt only a runnier texture. Yum! I drink it from a glass or in cereal. Lifeway? I'm pretty sure that's the brand I like best... I have Peach in the fridge right now and love it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lifeway&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=lifeway+kefir+coupons Here's a link I found on Google that you can get Coupons from their site, they send you some or you can print them.

Great, do you get a plain one, whole fat?
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Great, do you get a plain one, whole fat?

I don't buy plain, no, I like the flavored but what I buy is low fat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    We usually buy Lifeway brand. Either strawberry or blueberry. I like to pour it over a nice fruit salad with berries and papaya and some chopped nuts or granola. Yum!

Sound's fab over salad!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i like siggis and green valley has high protien
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    Thank you all! You know who's getting Kefir over the weekend :)
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Around here is LifeWay brand. I like the low fat plain version. It's replaced Greek yogurt for me. It makes better shakes because it's more liquid.

Mmmmmm gut microbiota
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    Around here is LifeWay brand. I like the low fat plain version. It's replaced Greek yogurt for me. It makes better shakes because it's more liquid.

Mmmmmm gut microbiota

Going to Publix to get it! If I like it I will look into the organic versions from health stores.

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    water kifer is good I got the grains from Amazon and made a fruity drink with it
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have Happy Days blueberry goat milk kefir.