Keys to a lifestyle food and exercise change

Options
Keys to a lifestyle food and exercise change:
1. stop thinking you will not like it before you even try it (you'll be surprised at what you do like)
2. stop thinking I can't have that (just makes you want it more)
3. stop focusing on what you are trying to stop eating and focus on something else (you won't miss it if you stop dwelling on it)
4. think positive "I can do/eat it" thoughts!
5. remember this is a permanent change you are striving for, don't look back
6. get rid of those bigger clothes as you replace them, don't keep them for any reason

These are the keys that I've decided to use to help motivate me. What about you?

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I look at those "splurge" foods, and think to myself, "this is the reason you are overweight, do you really want this so that you can continue being what you don't want to be?"
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If it's something you are really craving, try postponing it until later in the day and save calories for it or budget it into your calories for tomorrow. This way you can have a little without blowing your calories or feeling guilty. Plus, it helps self control if you can wait it out a bit, and you may find you didn't want it that badly after all.

Make sure you are really hungry, not upset or bored or thirsty. If you've had some water and piddled around for 15 minutes or so and still feeling it... have a bite or two.
  • laurahecker
    laurahecker Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When I want to eat something because it's there or it's a social occasion I tell myself "this is not the last time you'll have the opportunity for that ".... Chocolate chip cookie/brownie etc. After you hit your goal weight then you can occasionally have that food item (while maintaining - just not now)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For me the most important piece is a supportive partner. I know that given her historical challenges with body image it hasn't been easy.