July 4th/Holiday eating - what do you do?

Options
sjp_511
sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
With the upcoming holiday, the weekend is going to be full of bbq's and junk food. I am going to a bbq for lunch on Thursday then out of town on Saturday & Sunday to visit family and have another bbq. I will have a lot of opportunity to eat delicious yet high calorie foods. How do you deal in these situations?

(A) Practice enormous self-control and stick to your daily calorie allowance

(B) Eat a larger deficit the days before & after to make up for a splurge day. It all balances out, right?

(C) Get in an extra workout or 2 to allow for added food consumption

(D) Decide that you deserve to splurge every now and then and let yourself enjoy the food. It's only one day, right?

(E) Something else I am not thinking of....

I am sitting here eating a salad practicing (B). I am being really diligent so I can enjoy some Oreo cupcakes this weekend. I probably go this route because I did Weight Watchers for a short time and really liked the concept of "Flex Points". For those of you unfamiliar with WW, you are assigned a daily points target (a point is calculated based on fat, carbs, protein, and fiber) and get an additional amount of weekly flex points to divide up however you deem appropriate.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm going out on an all-day motorcycle ride with my dad if weather permits. I don't have the luxury of planning what I eat ahead of time because we have no clue where we are going to be stopping. That being said, on these situations I typically just get whatever I want. It takes a lot more than a day of enjoying a calorie surplus to derail this train.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I will eat what I want and get in a great workout if I can, but I don't beat myself up about it. A couple of days won't hurt me in the long run and I'll be happier that I didn't deprive myself. I know that others have to keep their calories in check because that's how it works for them.

It's different for everyone, but if there are ribs, macaroni and cheese, and apple pie, I guarantee you I will have a plate full.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do b, c and D...life is too short to skip all the parties--but everything in moderation. Plus if I workout first and extra then I feel like the damage won't be quite as bad as it could be...even if it doesn't end up being an on-plan day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I will more than likely blow it out on the fourth. As for the rest of the weekend, I will eat within my calorie/macor goal.

I also plan to get in a work out in on the morning of the fourth.

Good luck to you ...
  • cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I basically eat what I want for the day, knowing I'm not going to gain back a bunch of weight over one bad day. I actually just had a bad three day weekend of eating everything in sight and drinking, and I only gained half a pound. In the grand scheme of things, that is nothing, and it will be off of me by my next weigh in. I say, enjoy life as long as you stick to a pretty healthy routine 90% of the time :-D
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    This year, I am dealing with it by volunteering to be host. When you are hostess, you've got all the control when it comes to what is served. Which suits me fine, since I am a control freak. LOL.I am serving healthier fare. Extra lean burgers, whole grain buns, massive veggie tray, triffle berry dessert, and a lightened up greek yogurt version of potato salad. As long as I mind my portions, I should be good. Also, I am starting the day with a Jazzercise class. Happy 4th everyone!!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I do B and C, and, if I go over, I don't sweat it (so I guess you could say D as well). I do mind my portions, mainly so I can have a little of everything that is offered.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    D.

All holidays and vacays are "balls out" for me. I am strict 95% of the time so I feel I deserve these holiday treats.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'd bike over to the in-town stuff since that can get you some mad calories and bring some kind of ball to the family stuff unless someone else tends to get that started. Don't be afraid to bring some healthy chow to share at the family stuff, too!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am going on a run in the morning on July 4. After that though I am gorging myself on bbq and beer :drinker: :drinker:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'd bike over to the in-town stuff since that can get you some mad calories and bring some kind of ball to the family stuff unless someone else tends to get that started. Don't be afraid to bring some healthy chow to share at the family stuff, too!

Oh my activity level will be higher than the normal sitting in a cubilcle for 8 hours. We are starting the day on Thursday doing the local 4.5 mile run. And much of the day will be spent on our feet. On Saturday, I will be playing with the kids for a good chunk of the day. I am the aunt that chases the kids around with a water gun :tongue:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,636 Member
    Options
    I do a big workout beforehand, and just endeavour to stay net within maintenance or TDEE on days where there are parties or social eating.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sort of a combination.

Try to get exercise in if there's time/opportunity.

Don't go hog wild at the BBQ but don't be so stingy you miss out either. I usually try to load up on the healthiest thing there (veggie sticks or salad) and have little tastes of other things that look yummy. I also moderate my drinking by bringing one container with a mixed drink and one big bottle of water.

There are times when the plan goes way off course though - last BBQ I went to, someone made these PB cookies that were like heaven and I couldn't stay away! Or sometimes you get spontaneous invites and you don't want to reject them just for the sake of losing weight. Life happens. Just do your best and have fun!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wake up early, get a good work out in, and eat whatever you may please after. :)
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing? Thanks for the ideas.
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of running on the 4th also. Great idea!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a run the morning of the 4th. I'll be omnomnoming the rest of the day.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 10k race on the 4th. Then I plan to eat lots of grilled/smoked/roasted meat, veggies and fruit to fill up my normal calories. (I find that when I make sure to eat as much meat as I can first it helps with the temptation to waste my calories on potato salad and other side dishes). then I use the calories from the 10k for beer & desert (hopefully something frosted and filled with chocolate).

We'll see how it goes
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing both D and C on the 4th. I will allow myself some margaritas or wine as well as the yummy BBQ food, but definitely will be working out before the socializing begins!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You wont get fat in one day.