Microfracture Procedure :-(

Options
Had a scope done on my knee three weeks ago and just found out the dr. also did a 'microfracture procedure'. I had no idea I was having anything more than a 'cleanup' done so was a little surprised to hear this. Wondering if anyone else has had this done and what the recovery time was??? Obviously I'm going to listen to the doctor's recommendations and follow the physio protocol, but the more I read online about typical recoveries the more depressing this is becoming! Everything I've read online though is about professional athletes so I was hoping to hear some experiences of some non-pro athletes!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely no expert, but I believe that many people have excellent results with microfracture. That said, I do not think he should have done that kind of procedure without your permission.
    On the other hand, I am going to guess that you had some rather severe discomfort before this procedure?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Had a scope done on my knee three weeks ago and just found out the dr. also did a 'microfracture procedure'. I had no idea I was having anything more than a 'cleanup' done so was a little surprised to hear this. Wondering if anyone else has had this done and what the recovery time was??? Obviously I'm going to listen to the doctor's recommendations and follow the physio protocol, but the more I read online about typical recoveries the more depressing this is becoming! Everything I've read online though is about professional athletes so I was hoping to hear some experiences of some non-pro athletes!

Thanks in advance!

I had a doctor do this type of thing to me and I was not pleased. Apparently my "consent to treat" form was enough to cover their butts, but I wouldn't have okay'd the procedure otherwise.

I have known people who have had the treatment, but it was on their spine. Recovery time was pretty long, to be honest. It was around six months, but I'm not sure if that included time with physical therapy and mild exercise or not.

That being said, it was the spine. Hopefully, the knee is a much faster heal.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Someone I work with had this done. He can still run 30 miles a week but more than that and it starts to bother him. I would still call that a success because before he had it fixed he had a pretty severe limp. If you're not a professional athlete then you should have a good outcome once it heals.

How are you just finding out now? I had my right knee scoped last week to clean a meniscus tear and the doctor told me everything about the surgery before I left. No sutures just a cleanup and therefore no weight restrictions on that leg. I used crutches for a day but that's it.

I'm guessing your doctor told you to stay on crutches for 3 - 4 weeks?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just read an article in the Houston Chronicle from two years ago that if you are under 40 years, do not smoke or have diabetes, and follow the rehab protocol, you have an excellent chance of having a great result.
    But, it also said your knee is immobilized for a week and then you are on crutches for eight weeks.
    I had a cartilage repair with an ACL replacement. My repair was a different procedure, an OATS procedure, but the rehab was equally rigorous. I was on crutches for, I believe, 10 weeks.
    But I am so glad I had it. I could barely walk up and down stairs without wincing before. (Flat ground was okay.) I now have no pain, no discomfort, whatsoever, and I jog, lift and play tennis. Yes, it was hard to get through the recovery, but it ends. Yours will too.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I am absolutely no expert, but I believe that many people have excellent results with microfracture. That said, I do not think he should have done that kind of procedure without your permission.
    On the other hand, I am going to guess that you had some rather severe discomfort before this procedure?

yes, did have longterm pain and restricted movement prior to this, so hoping it helps in the long-run
    tufel wrote: »
    I just read an article in the Houston Chronicle from two years ago that if you are under 40 years, do not smoke or have diabetes, and follow the rehab protocol, you have an excellent chance of having a great result.
    But, it also said your knee is immobilized for a week and then you are on crutches for eight weeks.
    I had a cartilage repair with an ACL replacement. My repair was a different procedure, an OATS procedure, but the rehab was equally rigorous. I was on crutches for, I believe, 10 weeks.
    But I am so glad I had it. I could barely walk up and down stairs without wincing before. (Flat ground was okay.) I now have no pain, no discomfort, whatsoever, and I jog, lift and play tennis. Yes, it was hard to get through the recovery, but it ends. Yours will too.

sounds great in the long-term, like you said, just getting through the initial stuff i guess!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Someone I work with had this done. He can still run 30 miles a week but more than that and it starts to bother him. I would still call that a success because before he had it fixed he had a pretty severe limp. If you're not a professional athlete then you should have a good outcome once it heals.

How are you just finding out now? I had my right knee scoped last week to clean a meniscus tear and the doctor told me everything about the surgery before I left. No sutures just a cleanup and therefore no weight restrictions on that leg. I used crutches for a day but that's it.

I'm guessing your doctor told you to stay on crutches for 3 - 4 weeks?

ya, so thats the part im trying to figure out (why i wasnt told sooner)...when i woke up from the anesthesia, he told me there was significant damage that he cleaned up and smoothed out...only at today's follow up appointment (three weeks after the surgery) did he mention the microfracture procedure. also, no, he never even mentioned crutches! i did use them the first few days, but not since. reading everything online crutches seem common for the first 4-6 weeks, yet he did not mention this at all. not sure if its possible that somehow i had a more minor microfracture procedure (if there is such thing) that has allowed me to not be on crutches. it has only been since ive been reading stuff online (all day today!) that im realizing just how big a procedure this was!