Success story of another kind.

Options
xleporedx44
xleporedx44 Posts: 25 Member
Hi, I've been on and off MFP for years. First things first no I have not lost all the weight I'm still working on changing the years and years of bad habits. Which brings me to my reason for posting this success story.
For all those who say they hate vegetables!
I know you have heard if before you can lose weight "calories in calories out" yes this is very true which I have done before I lost 50lbs doing it that way. Because I hated vegetables my normal day was full of drive thru and processed foods. It worked, I lost weight I zumba-ed my butt off along with some personal training and found out I really have a love for this "exercise" stuff.
My journey began when I was little and I was a parents worse nightmare. I would literally not eat anything but what I wanted (McDonald's, candy, ice cream). If my parents did not give me what I wanted I would starve myself. Not like "if you don't eat it then starve" kind of thing but like I got blisters in my mouth from malnutrition and lost hair and weight where I would have to be hospitalized cause I refused to eat anything else (can anyone say "PICKY!"). So eventually my parents did what most would do these days and gave me whatever I wanted to eat.
Fast forward 14 years and I was married to a wonderful man who loved vegetables and I was also pregnant with our first child at this point all the veggies I would eat were raw carrots with ranch, corn,french fries and completely pureed tomato sauce like on pizza and stuff. When I was pregnant this was the first time in my life I tried rice, specifically fried rice from a Hibachi restaurant. I loved it but at this point it was a very strange texture that I almost could not get past. My husband use to cook stir fry and he would eat the veggies and I would eat most of the meat. I did not like any vegetables really. Most of the time I would have a burger plain and dry with cheese and DP and fries with ketchup (had to have the ketchup or I was not eating it).
My success story just goes up from there I was so tired of being picky. It was never fun to have to send back my orders cause their was something on it I didn't like. It was never fun all the teasing I got for it. It was never fun being over weight from it. Food involves so many parts of your life and to have that much part of your life controlled by a terrible habit is ... well... not fun.
I started by trying food in different ways like instead of plain steamed broccoli I had broccoli and cheese soup, it was great but the texture of broccoli was so gross at that time. I remember thinking ill never be able to eat all these healthy foods so I must have an over sensitive pallet. Yes in my head there had to be something wrong with me in the first place...right?... But I tried broccoli and cheese soup from the same place over and over and eventually I would eat the broccoli with crackers that way it wasn't so mushy and tree like lol. Then I finally tried my husbands stir fry WITH the veggies. Well so on and so forth I tried and tried and tried and tried... vegetables over and over in different ways.
Focusing on myself and not giving up no matter how much I wanted too was the key motivator and the fact that if millions of people can think that vegetables taste great, well, they could not all be wrong, right?
Now why I have not lost all the weight? Because I love food not just vegetables but everything just about, good and "bad". I'm still working on finding the right balance. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone so that maybe if you are stuck and don't feel like you have accomplished much or that you want to accomplish more. Just look at the little changes you have made! You are doing great and don't ever feel bad about making a good decision!!
Thank You for reading my ramblings I hope y'all have a happy and veggie filled life!
Veggies I like now:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Peas
Green Beans
Snow Peas
Soy Beans
Sugar Snap Peas
Corn
Bell Pepper
Jalapeno
Tomatoes
Avocado
Lettuce
Leek
Rutabaga
Fennel
Onions
Parsnip
Cabbage
Asparagus
Garlic
Zucchini
Yellow Squash
Butternut Squash
Acorn Squash
Pumpkin
Spinach
Brussels Sprouts
...... and the list goes on
If you have any questions or want some wonderful recipes then message me.
Feel free to add me too if you want!

Replies

• boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic achievement OP; your quality of life must be so much higher now :). Well done!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That is an achievement! I've seen several stories on here from people who could only eat a few things, it's good to see that breaking the picky can be done. :smile:
    I don't like squashes at all, so you're better than me. :wink:
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love your story!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congrats on having a baby!
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!