Best Way to Weigh Corn on the Cob

Options
DrusiliaDD
DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I had corn on the cob tonight for dinner but had a small dilemma on how exactly to weigh it. I know the basic rule of thumb is to only weigh the parts of food that you eat i.e. peel your bananas, crack your eggs etc. but the part of corn you don't eat is in the centre which is a bit more difficult to isolate.

I decided to just weigh the whole thing on my food scale before I cooked it and overestimate the calories a little, but what would be the best way to weigh it?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh it whole, eat it, weigh the core and then subtract that number.
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would weigh it before eating it, and then I would weigh the center again after I've eaten everything I wanted then just subtract that from the starting weight.

Edit: I didn't see the post above mine, sorry for being redundant!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Yup, what pp's said. I do the same with bone-in meats.
  • DrusiliaDD
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I was thinking that could be the solution. Would it make a difference whether I weigh it before or after cooking. For reference I boil it in a pot with a little sugar (which I log).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Skip the sugar. Good corn should be naturally sweet. And I'd weigh it after cooking since it may retain some water.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    DrusiliaDD wrote: »

I was thinking that could be the solution. Would it make a difference whether I weigh it before or after cooking. For reference I boil it in a pot with a little sugar (which I log).

Yes. Ideally weigh it raw. Since you add sugar add that into it as a separate entry or skip it. Corn should be sweet anyway.
  • DrusiliaDD
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Skip the sugar. Good corn should be naturally sweet. And I'd weigh it after cooking since it may retain some water.

I could skip the sugar and it would probably still taste okay but the tiny amount of sugar I put in the water (less than half a tsp) amounts to less than 10 calories so I'm not really bothered. I've stopped putting butter on top though.
    Yes. Ideally weigh it raw. Since you add sugar add that into it as a separate entry or skip it. Corn should be sweet anyway.

I do log it as a separate entry
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

If she prefers it that way, she should have it with sugar. People have different preferences.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you want to be really thorough, weigh it before cooking, weigh again after cooking and calculate the multiple/ratio/percentage, then weight what's left after you've eaten what you want, and use the multiple/ratio/percentage you got to enter the relative raw weight! ;)

But I'd imagine weighing at some point before and after eating will suffice
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

If she prefers it that way, she should have it with sugar. People have different preferences.

Agreed. I don't use sugar, but I do add a pinch of salt. I might try the sugar idea though, sounds tasty.
  • DrusiliaDD
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Agreed. I don't use sugar, but I do add a pinch of salt. I might try the sugar idea though, sounds tasty.

It's good you should try it, just makes it a little bit sweeter. I only use a small amount, less than half a teaspoon.