Sedentary?

Options
SO when setting up MFP I choose sedentary because I have a desk job. 8 hours in a cubicle. I don't move much other than breaks and lunch.

But I have also started a circuit training program for 45 minutes every morning Monday through Friday. On the weekends I try to get a 1-1/2 hour hike in on one of the days. Does this workout move me out of the "sedentary" label?

Only reason I ask is I am still doing okay with the calorie limits MFP has in there, but I do find myself a lot more hungry throughout the day. My lunch and snacks I bring everyday used to keep me feeling full. Not so much anymore.

Replies

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Log intentional exercise separately and leave your activity level as sedentary.
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    You wanna eat some exercise calories back because that's how mfp is set up.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Then if you miss a day or a few days, you are not overeating.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are sedentary. MFP logs exercise calories separately, so log your exercise into the exercise diary and it will add the calories for your exercise. :) (MFP's calorie counts for exercise tend to be a little high, so you might want to only eat back half of those.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with logging intentional exercise and leaving activity as if. If you're feeling hungry though, eat back 50% of your exercise calories.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yes, stick with sedentary and add calories (conservatively) for your workouts.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That is how I have been doing it, just wanted to make sure. 27.5 lost since Jan 1st aint too bad so far :smiley:
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    i think you could up your activity level a bit and see how it goes. The other option is to eat back half your exercise calories for workout fuel. some people really feel the need for the fuel for their workouts. I tend to feel less impacted.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    With the MFP method you set your activity level separate from your exercise and you are supposed to eat your exercise calories.

If you are losing weight faster than predicted (and you don't want to lose that fast because it isn't healthy or you just want to eat more) then either eat more of your exercise calories (if you aren't eating all of them) or increase your activity level. You can also manually adjust up your base calorie amount if the jump from sedentary to lightly active is bigger than you want.