Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    chrismwpcs wrote: »
    With two major compound exercises like squats and deadlifts I wouldn't manage both with how I train. If you train with moderate intensity then sure you could do both.

Sheiko has you benching 3 times a week- sometimes double up (i.e.- squat bench squat bench) for a full rotation of sets/reps before moving on to the next one.

I've had better luck on my body with that then *kitten* like CF wods or generic HIIT training.

Sheiko is known for brutality as most Russian programs are!

Yeah- I'm a cranky panda pants when I'm cutting on it- but I have found I do very well with it- I think women typically recover between sets faster- so I find the high volume and that 70-80% range of weight to work really well for me since it's not so close to my 1 rpm. People at the gym often look at me weird when I spend 45 min squatting- then go bench- then go squat and then bench again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you can do a leg training session daily, you are not working hard enough. It takes me about 4 days to recover from a session. I saw one routine from the above post that said squats and deadlifts the same session. Hmm, after a good run of deadlifts you shouldn't be able to do squats and visa versa. My deadlift day tomorrow will consist of about 7 to 8 sets of deadlifts. Warm up by set 2 and get to working by set 4 and drop set 3 or 4 sets to failure. Then tackle calves, and onto the torture machines for leg press, extensions and leg curls. Pain is just 12 hours away lol.

Squats and DLs in the same training session is perfectly acceptable in some circumstances. Probably THE most respected beginners program - Starting Strength by Rippetoe has squats every session and combines the two every other session.

PHUL has both on the same day too
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    With two major compound exercises like squats and deadlifts I wouldn't manage both with how I train. If you train with moderate intensity then sure you could do both.

Sheiko has you benching 3 times a week- sometimes double up (i.e.- squat bench squat bench) for a full rotation of sets/reps before moving on to the next one.

I've had better luck on my body with that then *kitten* like CF wods or generic HIIT training.

Sheiko is known for brutality as most Russian programs are!

Yeah- I'm a cranky panda pants when I'm cutting on it- but I have found I do very well with it- I think women typically recover between sets faster- so I find the high volume and that 70-80% range of weight to work really well for me since it's not so close to my 1 rpm. People at the gym often look at me weird when I spend 45 min squatting- then go bench- then go squat and then bench again.

I would wonder too lol. I've seen people do that type of method and it's not for me. If you remember my routine last year I did do squats and deadlifts twice a week on the same days for quite awhile but I found that breaking them apart allowed both to improve faster. However, I do squats + RDL and DL + front squats + leg press on my two lower days. I find that gives me a nice blend without burning out.