Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm stuck

Hello. In November 2014 I started off at 300lb. I am now 224lb, with my goal being 200. From November until June 2015, I lost 76lb. This was all done purely through diet changes. I'd eat tuna for lunch (2 cans) with a little salad cream. Porridge for breakfast, and then maybe some pasta for dinner or something. Cardio would be 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes. In July I found a girlfriend and became less strict in my diet and exercise regime, and from then until November 2015 I maintained weight, I never put on a pound as I was still watching what I was eating. January 1st of this year I joined a gym as I wanted to get back on track for my goal of 200lb. I do my cardio for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week (constant cardio which burns 400-600 calories in 20-30 minutes respectively. I've also been doing weight training. I've been doing pretty heavy weights; maybe 70% of my maximum for around 7-10 reps, and 3 or 4 sets each exercise. I've been told that building muscle on top of regular cardio boosts your metabolism as your muscles rebuild and get bigger and therefore boost your metabolism further. It's been 2 months now and I'm STILL MAINTAINING WEEK IN WEEK OUT. I can't understand why I'm not losing any weight - my exercise is greater than it's ever been and I don't eat over 1500 calories a day (6 days a week) and it all comes from gold sources. Breakfast is natural yoghurt (450g), which is 65 calories per 100g -!: 11g protein per 100g. Lunch time is a salad with chicken breast and the smallest dash of low fat Mayo so it's not so dry. That comes out to be about 250 calories (overestimate). Dinner is then something like chicken breast with some new potatoes and mixed green veg and carrots followed by some more yoghurt. It comes out to be about 1500 calories a day. I've tried dropping it to 1300 calories a day but nothing seems to be working. I am the most active than I've ever been and it's starting to get really frustrating :( please can someone help. My weight training sessions last about 1 hour 15 minutes. I do squats, rows, bench press, smith machine...you name it.

Replies

• E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    @simonfishburn

Congratulations on your weight loss. We are in a similar boat. I lost 62.5 pounds, then joined a gym. I am working out with a personal trainer for the past 2 months. The scale has not budged, but I have lost 1 size in one month. I measure myself since and now my trainer is measuring me too. In the past month, I have lost 4% fat and gained about 4% muscle.

I still want the scale to move, but I am happy with the changes in body composition. Is it possible your body is changing?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Hello. In November 2014 I started off at 300lb. I am now 224lb, with my goal being 200. From November until June 2015, I lost 76lb. This was all done purely through diet changes. I'd eat tuna for lunch (2 cans) with a little salad cream. Porridge for breakfast, and then maybe some pasta for dinner or something. Cardio would be 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes. In July I found a girlfriend and became less strict in my diet and exercise regime, and from then until November 2015 I maintained weight, I never put on a pound as I was still watching what I was eating. January 1st of this year I joined a gym as I wanted to get back on track for my goal of 200lb. I do my cardio for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week (constant cardio which burns 400-600 calories in 20-30 minutes respectively. I've also been doing weight training. I've been doing pretty heavy weights; maybe 70% of my maximum for around 7-10 reps, and 3 or 4 sets each exercise. I've been told that building muscle on top of regular cardio boosts your metabolism as your muscles rebuild and get bigger and therefore boost your metabolism further. It's been 2 months now and I'm STILL MAINTAINING WEEK IN WEEK OUT. I can't understand why I'm not losing any weight - my exercise is greater than it's ever been and I don't eat over 1500 calories a day (6 days a week) and it all comes from gold sources. Breakfast is natural yoghurt (450g), which is 65 calories per 100g -!: 11g protein per 100g. Lunch time is a salad with chicken breast and the smallest dash of low fat Mayo so it's not so dry. That comes out to be about 250 calories (overestimate). Dinner is then something like chicken breast with some new potatoes and mixed green veg and carrots followed by some more yoghurt. It comes out to be about 1500 calories a day. I've tried dropping it to 1300 calories a day but nothing seems to be working. I am the most active than I've ever been and it's starting to get really frustrating :( please can someone help. My weight training sessions last about 1 hour 15 minutes. I do squats, rows, bench press, smith machine...you name it.

Are you using a food scale? For everything you eat?
  • dsedmondson
    dsedmondson Posts: 9 Member
    Have your body mass checked, sounds like you may have much more muscle now. Great job brother!
  • Justdoit_focus
    Justdoit_focus Posts: 1 Member
    Wow great job!! To me it seems you are n the perfect track. You focus on your goal and even is it getting rough you keep going. Chapeau!

I agree to what the others already mentioned, when you started doing weight training you build muscles so 1. get your body mass checked and 2. check on your calories again. If you lower the calories input too low your body is going on a "saving mode" because he is getting to less. For men it is recommended to go around 20% under your Maintenance Level.

You will find a way, Cheers.