What to eat an hour before hitting the gym? Morning, afternoon and evening ?

rugrats06
rugrats06 Posts: 1 Member
I work over night so my eating is always out of wack and trying to keep up with my food log is always confusing, especially on an off night...so I'm trying to figure out what I can eat before I go to the gym, I don't wanna feel sluggish but enough energy to power through!

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Banana and a small coffee, or yogurt or string cheese w a small coffee.
  • cswanger1211
    cswanger1211 Posts: 1 Member
    I usually do anything from fruit, or nuts, or jerky, or granalo bar or even a couple eggs or avacado slices,
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Personally I just have a banana, some almonds or just water, as I primarily run and find running on any kind of full stomach very uncomfortable. That might be just me though!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I have a banana and out the door I go,,, but apples are very good
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Also an early riser here and I drink at least a full cup of water before my run. I have my warm breakfast when I return.

A dietitian recommended a small carb snack thirty minutes before a workout. A banana would do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    During the day? Nothing specific. I just eat my regular meals and snacks and exercise in between.

In the morning, I'd go first thing if possible and just eat maybe a 100-200 calories granola bar or something (like Kind). Or I have a normal breakfast (1-2 hours after getting up) and exercise about an hour after (I just avoid oatmeal too close to a workout because it just doesn't sit well with me).
  • Yeribridgett
    Yeribridgett Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Depends. If it's on the morning, I eat nothing. Afternoon depends on when I last ate. Maybe an apple and some water or one slice of whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter.