Do you really need the added protein?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    Added protein is not necessary. Women only need about 50-60g of protein a day, and that can easily be attained. Veggies, like broccoli actually have more protein than meat so if you are worried about protein than pack in the veggies. Please stay away from dairy as it also comes with a lot of fat, so do most meats. I myself am a vegan and have already lost ten pounds in two months. So yeah, don't worry about protein.

A cup of broccoli has 3 grams of protein, while 4 ounces of chicken has 29 grams. You'd have to eat 9 and a half cups of broccoli to get to 29 grams of protein.

Since my goal is 106g of protein, that would be nearly 23 cups of broccoli. I would not want to be in the room with myself after that! :laugh:

OP, protein shakes aren't needed to reach a higher target for lifting, however, it does sound like you need to increase what you are currently taking in. I do use a protein powder, typically daily in a smoothy that helps me reach protein, fibre, and iron intake. It can be done without though. I do it because I'm too lazy to get out of bed early and cook before work. As already said, focusing on proteins (I also focus on fats and fibre) will help keep everything else in line. Don't fear fats, they are needed for nutritional absorption and appropriate functioning of the body.

I do find that lifting makes me really hungry, and I would probably eat one of the dogs if I had to try to stick to 1200 cals. The good news is that you should be able to eat more and still lose the rest of the weight you want to lose. Finally, lifting is not necessary. Try it, see if you enjoy it, but if you don't, do not feel as if you have to keep doing it. Find something that you do enjoy. I also love kickboxing. Having an activity you really enjoy makes it easier to stick to.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Added protein is not necessary. Women only need about 50-60g of protein a day, and that can easily be attained. Veggies, like broccoli actually have more protein than meat so if you are worried about protein than pack in the veggies. Please stay away from dairy as it also comes with a lot of fat, so do most meats. I myself am a vegan and have already lost ten pounds in two months. So yeah, don't worry about protein.

Any evidence for broccoli having more protein for meat? Also, would be curious why there is any concern whatsoever regarding the fat content of dairy.

It's a classic false logic talking point I've seen thrown out there now by several vegans. One of them tried to defend it in one thread and the narrative was so twisted that it was comical. The reality is that 4 ounces (114g) of boneless, skinless chicken breast has 35g of protein. So does 43 ounces (1,225g) of steamed broccoli. 4 ounces of broccoli contains 3g of protein, so it's an extremely disingenuous comparison. Nobody in their right mind is going to eat nearly 4 pounds of broccoli for lunch to get 35g of protein. With my protein goal being 191g/day, I'd have to eat 236 ounces (14.75 pounds) of broccoli per day to hit that goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

A cup of broccoli has 3 grams of protein, while 4 ounces of chicken has 29 grams. You'd have to eat 9 and a half cups of broccoli to get to 29 grams of protein.
    Hmm...possible eating challenge?
    LOL

You can get lots of protein for the calories from broccoli.

Hard to eat that much broccoli, though, and it's not complete protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Sure, for most women that are already at a healthy weight and don't have a history of eating too much, maybe 50-60g of protein is plenty. But that's not the case of most people on MFP.

And meat and dairy are delicious and filling. Gotta love vegans :/
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Everything I bolded above is wrong.

The 50-60 grams of protein is only a bare minimum for an "average" sized woman who is sedentary and not losing weight. An active individual or a dieter wanting to retain muscle mass during weight loss would need a lot more.

Veggies not only have less protein than meat but the protein they do have is "incomplete," meaning they don't have a complete profile of the essential amino acids your body needs. Vegans/vegetarians need to eat a variety of plant based proteins in order to fill the gaps (the aminos missing from one plant can be found in another).

There is no reason to abstain from dairy (outside of allergies or an ethical objection). Dairy (especially milk) is an excellent source of protein and fats. Fats should not be feared. In fact, your body needs enough fat to be healthy (brain health, hormone production, vitamin absorption and more). Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating more than you burn makes you fat.

Your body needs protein.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A good way to figure protein needs is .8 - 1.0g of protein per kg of body weight. Go with the higher number if you are lifting weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    A good way to figure protein needs is .8 - 1.0g of protein per kg of body weight. Go with the higher number if you are lifting weight.

That's the minimum for health.

For maximum benefit if losing weight and working out .6-.85 grams/lb of healthy body weight is ideal.
  • mom2kpr
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

For maximum benefit if losing weight and working out .6-.85 grams/lb of healthy body weight is ideal.

.8 is the minimum, that's why I recommended she go with 1.0. Please never use pounds, always use kg. Using pounds to determine protein needs give you way more protein than you need.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Any evidence for broccoli having more protein for meat? Also, would be curious why there is any concern whatsoever regarding the fat content of dairy.

It's a classic false logic talking point I've seen thrown out there now by several vegans. One of them tried to defend it in one thread and the narrative was so twisted that it was comical. The reality is that 4 ounces (114g) of boneless, skinless chicken breast has 35g of protein. So does 43 ounces (1,225g) of steamed broccoli. 4 ounces of broccoli contains 3g of protein, so it's an extremely disingenuous comparison. Nobody in their right mind is going to eat nearly 4 pounds of broccoli for lunch to get 35g of protein. With my protein goal being 191g/day, I'd have to eat 236 ounces (14.75 pounds) of broccoli per day to hit that goal.

Seems the poster never did back up the statement. I'm not surprised because it was false, but I was hoping for a link to one of those great woo woo websites . . .
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

.8 is the minimum, that's why I recommended she go with 1.0. Please never use pounds, always use kg. Using pounds to determine protein needs give you way more protein than you need.

Not if you're lifting or attempting to maintain muscle during a deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Not if you're lifting or attempting to maintain muscle during a deficit.

^This

when you are in a deficit you are at risk of your body using muscle as fuel, so when losing weight you need more than that. Also if you are working out you need more in order to repair muscles. If you are working out and in a deficit you will need much more. I usually suggest 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight as a minimum for someone trying to lose weight.
  • erickirb
    Options

Okay then 1.4-2.0 grams per KG of lean body mass is what should be aimed for (there used KGs instead of Lbs)
  • mom2kpr
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Okay then 1.4-2.0 grams per KG of lean body mass is what should be aimed for (there used KGs instead of Lbs)

There is no reason to go that high. You can easily maintain (in deficit) or build (gain) muscle with 1.0g/kg.
  • erickirb
    edited March 2016
    Options

There is no reason to go that high. You can easily maintain (in deficit) or build (gain) muscle with 1.0g/kg.

Maybe if you are obese, but not if you are just "overweight" or "normal" weight, unless you are also new to lifting, then you may gain/maintain for a while, but eventually if in a deficit and train more you will start losing muscle.

I weigh 150 lbs if I only got 1 gram per KG that would put me at 68 grams, in a deficit I would lose muscle while cutting on such a low intake. and if it were per kg of lean body mass It would be more like 60 grams, no where near enough
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    All you need is enough protein in a 24 hour period and as a rolling daily average. Protien makes us feel best, but we need all the other things too. Carbs (insulin) is actually the vehicle that gets protien into the muscle. Let your body be the judge of what you need over time. Eat enough of all the things, then play with the timing. Your body will give you a better answer than all the gurus and theories out there.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No, I am talking about the beneficial level, and lbs is correct for that.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Works for me!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    the 20 grams is probably per MEAL. :)
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

AnvilHead wrote: »

I got my information from a book called Eat to Live and it compared grams of protein with number of calories. Yes meat does have more protein but also more calories, if you compare it that way than broccoli has more protein.
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options