Ok so I have a vitamix but don't even use it. Any ideas ??

Options
In got a vitamix about 1 yr ago. Hardly use it at all. I'm dieting. Thought there would be more I could do with it. Any ideas or recommendations ?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    eBay? Garage sale? Goodwill?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies, soups, and hummus with mine.

Google "Vitamix recipes"
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I make my own almond milk, smoothies, soups, hummus, I could go on and on. You have a fantastic piece of equipment going to waste in your kitchen so I hope you find a use for it. You'd be surprised about the many things you can do with it. I second the "Google Vitamix Recipes" above.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Send it to me???
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Can you put flowers in it?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies every morning, soups on the weekends, dips and sorbet whenever. Didn't yours come with a book FULL of recipes?? you can also get online and look them up. I use mine daily and for what we paid for it I will continue to do so. it is the best!!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    In got a vitamix about 1 yr ago. Hardly use it at all. I'm dieting. Thought there would be more I could do with it. Any ideas or recommendations ?

You could give it to me. I would give it a nice home where it will be loved and cared for like a member of my family. Seriously though you can do a lot with that thing. I believe I have pureed a brick in one, one time. You can make really nice puree soups, smoothies, blended coffees, shakes, sauces, and a bunch more.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Yeah, send it to me. Totally want. I could make some ridiculously good soups and smoothies with it. That sucker is so powerful it could practically turn gravel into a smoothie.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    First, you are lucky, my dad has a vitamix and I wish I could steal it all the time!
    But I agree with the above comments, look up smoothie and soup recipes! You can also do some great protein/milk shakes; dips, salsa, you name it!
    The vitamix is so versatile and it's like the greatest blender, it will liquefy anything!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    But seriously, if you want to sell it for a fair price, I got dibs! :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I love my vitamix and still use it almost daily. And I'm losing weight.
    ...Frozen banana 'ice cream'
    ...Protein shakes
    ...Soups
    ...Hummus
    ...Pesto
    ...Smooth out pasta sauce or enchilada sauce
  • tknight64
    tknight64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, you can start your day by making a smoothie. A few veggies, a couple pieces of fruit, crushed ice and water. Nice way to start the day. Another thing you can do is buy a protein mix and make a meal replacement shake. Use milk (your preference), protein powder (I would recommend chocolate or vanilla only since they mix well with other items), then add other food items such as bananas, peanut butter, almonds (or a nut of your choice). A meal replacement shake should consist of at least 220 calories and have roughly 20 vitamins and minerals. A protein shake by itself does not qualify as a meal replacement shake, but by adding what you might already have it can be obtained. I typically use at least a 1 tbsp. of peanut butter, 1 1/2 cups of 2% milk, and a small to medium sized banana. I would stay away from the "gourmet flavored" proteins because they may taste good on their own, but do not taste too good when you start to add other food items to turn them into meal replacement shakes.

I hope this helps.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I initially did make a lot of smoothies - before I was dieting. I liked to add cream in the smoothies- but obviously that is loaded with FAT so I am not doing that any more... I haven't tried soups. I am going to dust it off and maybe try a soup this weekend!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I used mine the entire time I was losing weight: smoothies, soups, plant milk, dips, cashew cream, sauces, hummus . . . I still use it at least 5 times a week.

If you're looking for lower calorie things, try gazpacho, salsa, and soups. They all turn out great in the Vitamix. Do you still have the book that came with your Vitamix? There are at least two gazpacho recipes and lots more soup recipes. You can also make smoothies lower calorie by using water for the liquid. Lots of times I'll make a protein shake with just water, ice, 1 scoop of protein powder, and 1 cup of plant milk. Depending on the calories in your powder and milk, it can be pretty low calorie for lots of protein (mine are usually around 180-230 calories). And the crushed ice makes it more fun to drink than just protein powder and liquid.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I use mine every day! We have wonderful whole foods smoothies (smooth seeds) for breakfast. I made sesame tahini. We make healthy ice cream with frozen fruit and skim milk. Soups are hot and luscious. We paid an arm and a leg, but it's the best blender I've ever owned.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    Options
    I would love smoothies everyday but always seem to be too many calories when I try to make them. I guess I need to look up some better recipes
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    Options
    I used mine the entire time I was losing weight: smoothies, soups, plant milk, dips, cashew cream, sauces, hummus . . . I still use it at least 5 times a week.

If you're looking for lower calorie things, try gazpacho, salsa, and soups. They all turn out great in the Vitamix. Do you still have the book that came with your Vitamix? There are at least two gazpacho recipes and lots more soup recipes. You can also make smoothies lower calorie by using water for the liquid. Lots of times I'll make a protein shake with just water, ice, 1 scoop of protein powder, and 1 cup of plant milk. Depending on the calories in your powder and milk, it can be pretty low calorie for lots of protein (mine are usually around 180-230 calories). And the crushed ice makes it more fun to drink than just protein powder and liquid.

I do have the book. Im going to look at the gazpacho. Don't even know what that is. LOL
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have a Ninja. I have the regular blender, smoothie cups, and the food processor. I make:

smoothies
    bulletproof coffee
    salsa
    blended soups
    chop veggies
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I initially did make a lot of smoothies - before I was dieting. I liked to add cream in the smoothies- but obviously that is loaded with FAT so I am not doing that any more... I haven't tried soups. I am going to dust it off and maybe try a soup this weekend!

Fats are not your enemy, you just need to learn which are the good ones and focus on them. I don't think that adding dairy to your smoothie is a bad idea, fat helps your body absorb the other nutrients.
  • bugs4
    bugs4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, protein shakes ( I like them better with ice)!!!! Also, instead of ice cream for dessert, try the fruit sorbet recipes that came with the book and look up online (banana, and pineapple are really good). I just got mine for Christmas and I haven't had a chance to try the soups yet. My sister tells me they are amazing.