Excersise with rotator cuff surgery

Options
Hi my name is Giovanna im 48 years young im almost 5 weeks post operations for a rotator cuff surgery and bursitis. Is there any suggestions out there that i could possibly do to help me with weight loss. Ive managed to put on 5 kilos please any suggestions

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn

do not do any exercise without medical clearance - you should have post surgery advice
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Eat less and get your orthopedist to refer you to a physical therapist.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I never had the surgery, but had to do about 16 weeks of physical therapy for a shoulder injury. However, I could still do cardio, abs, and lower body work. I'm normal weight, so I didn't gain or lose, but maintained. I did lose muscle in the upper arms, though, and am gradually getting back into routine. Anytime I tried to rush or force things, it would set me back a week. The only time I gained after an injury was with a broken foot. Not being ambulatory has a more significant impact on your burn.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've had the surgery. Check with you doctor/PT, but you should have no issues walking using leg machines at a gym, etc.

The best exercise though is table push-aways. The surgery is just an excuse for weight gain. I've had several shoulder operations, lost some strength but didn't gain a pound.

Best of luck
  • giannaben
    giannaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestion
  • krazykarenn
    krazykarenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just came across this thread, searching because I'm in physical therapy for my rotator cuff, and struggling with not being able to exercise like I used to. Did you find something that works for you?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 weeks out from rotator cuff surgery, too! I had 4 anchors put into the bone, 2 in front and 2 in back. I've got about 95% of my range of motion back and so I was told if exercises don't hurt, they're ok to do. I did my first sets of push-ups and pull-ups yesterday. Felt awesome to work out again. Overhead press is still a little painful so I'm holding off on that for now. Ease back into things and listen to your physical therapist.
  • wheeliewonka
    wheeliewonka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    6-8 weeks before it start to heal. Nothing strenuous. It takes for ever to heal