Low LBM, yet still might have higher BF %

Options
I have lost over 85 lbs in 2 years, the first year and few months was done with cardio and diet. I started lifting about 8 months ago and have loved the results I've gotten with it. However, I have now reached what is apparently a LBM that is too low for my body.
I am 21 years old, 5'7" and weigh 141-142 lbs
This puts my LBM at 115 (multiple calculators gave me the same number)
The recommended tells me that it should be around 119-125

Now after losing so much weight, I know I will have some loose skin. Problem is, I don't know how MUCH of what I have around my abdomen is loose skin or fat. It is difficult to measure my BF%, but maybe you guys can tell by these pictures.
I don't know if I should continue to lose weight or begin a steady bulk.
My end goal is to eventually begin bulk and cut cycles, but I have been on a continuous deficit for 2 years now.

Let me know what you guys think (keep slowly cutting/begin bulk).
Thanks!

Pants covering lower stomach
Ewoy0y.jpg

Side view (still covering lower belly)
D1ZgXg.jpg

Lower belly with some loose skin (sucking in stomach)
2laVqN.jpg

Relaxed stomach
DCfjME.png

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To be able to come up with your lean body mass number, you must know your body fat percentage.

Bodpod or an expert with calipers is the best way of knowing.

You say you're LBM is 115, and you weigh 141. With these figures you come out at about 19% body fat, but I guess your less than that, about 15% which is healthy.
    I'm better at guessing womens bf% but you'd have to be around 15% I'd say.

Anyone else?

Ps well bloody done mate!! The loose skin will be skewing the caliper method.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    To be able to come up with your lean body mass number, you must know your body fat percentage.

Bodpod or an expert with calipers is the best way of knowing.

You say you're LBM is 115, and you weigh 141. With these figures you come out at about 19% body fat, but I guess your less than that, about 15% which is healthy.
    I'm better at guessing womens bf% but you'd have to be around 15% I'd say.

Anyone else?

Ps well bloody done mate!! The loose skin will be skewing the caliper method.

Yeah, I just went and put my stats into multiple sites that didn't require body fat % for LBM calculations because I cannot get a proper estimate on my simply due to some loose skin and lack of resources, besides calipers.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get some more insight :)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would put you at about 15% as well OP ….I would suggest trying to get down a few more percentage points and then run a slow bulk at .5 pound per week gain ….
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Agreed 15ish.

Also agree dropping down a few more and run a clean bulk at .5 target gain per week.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Clean bulk means being meticulously 500 calories over your total daily needs, eating .8g of protein per pound of body weight, and sufficient and appropriate fats and carbs. Also following a progressive lifting routine. You may have to do a little cut at the end of it, but if you start sufficiently low enough body fat wise, this shouldn't be too bad.

People do you think maybe after two years of dieting, more cutting is just going to be too hard?

Maybe he should just go for a couple of pounds more off?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Clean bulk means being meticulously 500 calories over your total daily needs, eating .8g of protein per pound of body weight, and sufficient and appropriate fats and carbs. Also following a progressive lifting routine. You may have to do a little cut at the end of it, but if you start sufficiently low enough body fat wise, this shouldn't be too bad.

People do you think maybe after two years of dieting, more cutting is just going to be too hard?

Maybe he could go for a 250 calorie deficit and slowly lose a tad more fat and then bulk for a bit ....15% is on the high end to start a bulk....
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I worked out that 1% body fat for 141lb person is 1.41lb.
    Should he go to 12%? Say, 4lbs lighter? Poor guys been at it for two years!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would say he should try to get to 12-13%...that is where I was when I ran my first bulk....
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2016
    Options

I run my clean bulks at 300 cals over with a reverse diet to find my true TDEE, but essential yes 250-500 surplus over is common.

I start mine around 12.5-13% bf and it gives me a longer bulk. It's not too difficult to drop down to 13% for most males, it's more the 10-11% area that gets grindy at least for me.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I run my clean bulks at 300 cals over with a reverse diet to find my true TDEE, but essential yes 250-500 surplus over is common.

I start mine around 12.5-13% bf and it gives me a longer bulk. It's not too difficult to drop down to 13% for most males, it's more the 10-11% area that gets grindy at least for me.

Yes, you're right. Everybody has a good number, mine is 250 cals. It's keeping it accurate that makes it clean. Just trying to point it out before the clean food confusion starts!

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Going lighter wouldn't hurt I'm sure but psychologically that could be an issue with such a long cut. I would suggest a brief reverse diet out, which should allow him to lose another couple pounds and then slowly ramp into a bulk. I would say start adding 100 calories per day each week for the next couple months should do this.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    Options
    If it makes any sort of difference to whether or not I should be bulk/cutting/maintaining- I am considering a mini tummy tuck.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If it makes any sort of difference to whether or not I should be bulk/cutting/maintaining- I am considering a mini tummy tuck.

what matters is your body fat % which is why we are all suggesting that you cut a tad more fat and then run a slow bulk ....
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ya agree with the consensus. Cut to 12% and then you can bulk longer and better for nutrient partitioning.
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2016
    Options
    O.P. you're doing a great job. The advice given will help you tummy tuck or not.

Wheelhouse15 suggested reverse dieting out of your cut. I've done reverse dieting for the past twenty five years and it works really well coming out of a cut for added weight loss along with eventually honing in your desired weight gain for a bulk.

Running a clean bulk(properly logged/weighed calorie consumption of any foods/drinks that hit your daily macros and caloric goals) not to get confused with only "clean food" as Springfield1970 pointed out earlier will help you gain muscle when coupled with a proven lifting program.

• FabianRodriguez94
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice- I will continue to cut for a bit longer and then look into bulking/reverse dieting after.

Thanks!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Reverse dieting will give you the final weight loss you need.
    Put simply you add 100 calories per day extra for one week at a time to your cut until you reach maintenance.

It's a perfect way to find out your true tdee so you can do your bulk cleanly.

If you're not counting calories now I suggest you start.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    The only reason Id put you at 15% is because you seem to have a low percentage of lean mass. Which is expected after 2 years of cutting, though I can definitely see some abs on you. Id personally start bulking at a 250-300 cal surplus. Since you are already fairly lean, you just have those few pesky areas of chub.

Though great work man, you clearly have been putting in the work. Keep it up and you'll get to where you're going soon enough!