No Cook Recipes

Options
bbyegal
bbyegal Posts: 16
Looking for some healthy no-cook recipes -- it's too hot to use the stove or oven and too dry out to use the grill (we live in the middle of the national forest = fire ban). Nothing processed...ideas?

Replies

• missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cooking meats, boiled eggs,one day a week, and adding them to salads, wraps, fruits and veggies, that way you only have to use stove 1 time instead of everyday. Can also make tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, seafood salad, salmon salad, and use them in salads, wraps etc....
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    do you have a microwave?
  • frantny
    frantny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lunch's green apple chicken salad

Total time: 25 minutes
    Servings: 4 to 6

1/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, diced (a generous 2 cups) (I have used rotisserie chicken)
    2 small celery stalks, cut into small dice
    1/2 red onion, cut into very small dice
    1/2 green apple, cored and cut into medium dice
    1/3 cup currants (raisins may be substituted) (I used dried blackcurrants-nice and tangy)
    Salt and pepper, if desired

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar and Dijon mustard to form a dressing.

2. To the bowl, add the chicken, celery, onion, apple and currants. Toss everything together, taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Chill before serving. This makes about 1 quart chicken salad.

Each of 6 servings: 188 calories; 12 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 39 mg cholesterol; 7 grams sugar; 163 mg sodium.

This was well received by all who ate it!
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite meals at the local coffee shop that I also mean to recreate at home and never do is called the "Lite Plate". They have a cup of lettuce with your choice of either (1/2 cup) chicken salad or egg salad on top of it, and the two side dishes are 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and about a cup of seasonal fruit. I know there is nothing healthy about the coffee shop version, so when ever I get around to making it at home I plan on swapping out the mayo in the salad to a little mayo, greek yogurt, and mashed avocado and plan on adding carrots and celery and pickles to give it a crunch.

I would agree with missymakayla on cooking a bunch of meat once a week so that you have them to use throughout the week.

We have a stovetop smoker that we use all the time during the winter as it gives an amazing smokey, grilled flavor to your meat and vegetables. It does not smoke up the house at all, but you will smell the smokey flavor for a few hours. That may bother some, but personally we love it. No worse then a wood fireplace or stove would be. I love summer for all the flavor that you can add just by grilling and smoking your food. I would recommend the stovetop smoker to anyone. Added bonus to it is that it has a rack that you place in it so the smoke will engulf your food on all sides. This allows all the fat drips off your meat and it does not cook into it.

An actually no-cook recipe would be a cold plate night. We slice up different deli meats, variety of cheeses, and all kinds of veggies and fruit. Make a couple low-fat dips such as greek yogurt with ranch seasoning, hummus, greek yogurt with chocolate pudding for the fruit, etc. I usually make a loaf of beer bread to cube up and go with it all, but you could substitute crackers or skip all together. All of it goes on a big platter in the middle of the table and the four of us just grab and eat as we want. Only thing we have is a little plate to put our dips on as we are trying to teach the boys manners and not to double dip. It's a huge hit with our kids (7 and 5) as it is all finger food and they can create any combination that they want.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Looking for some healthy no-cook recipes -- it's too hot to use the stove or oven and too dry out to use the grill (we live in the middle of the national forest = fire ban). Nothing processed...ideas?

Ceviche, carpaccio, sashimi
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

1/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, diced (a generous 2 cups) (I have used rotisserie chicken)
    1/3 cup currants (raisins may be substituted) (I used dried blackcurrants-nice and tangy)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar and Dijon mustard to form a dressing.

2. To the bowl, add the chicken, celery, onion, apple and currants. Toss everything together, taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Chill before serving. This makes about 1 quart chicken salad.

Each of 6 servings: 188 calories; 12 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 39 mg cholesterol; 7 grams sugar; 163 mg sodium.

Too bad she asked for nothing processed and your recipe is chock full of processed goods
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just tried this new recipe this week that was good.

1 can garbanzo beans (low-sodium, drained and rinsed)
    *you can probably use the dried beans if don't want to use canned, though cooking would be required
    2 cups sliced grape tomatoes
    1/2 diced large cucumber
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    1/4 cup low-fat feta cheese crumbles
    2 TBS sliced kalamata olives
    1 TBS olive oil
    Juice of one lemon
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 clove garlic minced
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, black pepper in a large bowl. Add all of the other ingredients to bowl and stir until well coated.

You can add a meat to this or eat it vegetarian style. I've added diced chicken (grilled on my indoor grill) to it, and I've also added sardines. Both are good. :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot - low heat over a long period of time, shouldn't make your house too hot. Make some chili or pulled pork or pulled chicken and eat some, put the rest in the fridge for later in the week & reheat in the microwave. Or crockpot some quinoa or rye berry and make quinoa salad or ryeberry salad with oranges. Sushi is also a good no-cook meal, hummus, three bean salad, tomato/cucumber salad, broccoli slaw.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I had a really delicious appetizer - zuchinni carpaccio - very thinly sliced zuchinni (like paper thin with a mandoline), topped with shaved Parmesean Regianno, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice and a little zest. It was awesome!

You could roast a whole chicken in a crockpot and have meat for the week.

Do you eat tortillas or wraps of any kind? You could mash some beans with seasonings of choice and spread on a tortilla, top with diced veggies and some cheese, then roll up, refridgerate, then slice into pinwheels.

Or something like this:

http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/raw-vegan-burrito-with-awesomesauce.html
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    I like sandwiches for dinner when it's too hot to cook.

Avocado, pepperjack, lettuce. Good enough right there. If you like vegetarian 'meats' the morningstar farms bacon cooks up quite nicely in the microwave (gets crispy), and is a nice addition.

Rye bread with swiss cheese, sauerkraut, mustard or horsradish. Add cold cuts or vegetarian cold cuts if you like them.

Mozzarella, roasted bell peppers, a little oil vinegar, salt & pepper.

Salads, of course, with whatever you like on them. Radishes, avocados, sunflower seeds is currently my favorite. Make into a wrap if you need some carbs.

Hummus or babganoush, grapes, raw cauliflower, crackers or pita.
  • frantny
    frantny Posts: 17 Member
    Options

1/3 cup mayonnaise

Too bad she asked for nothing processed and your recipe is chock full of processed goods
    So sorry to have overlooked it- thank you so much for pointing out my mistake, acg67. Make sure you stay away from that crazy vinegar and mustard.
  • bbyegal
    bbyegal Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks all. Some of these really sound delicious! Thinking about going with a big salad with garden greens and some garbanzo beans. Thanks :)