Would you give up a year of your life to be your ideal weight?

Options
If you could magically become your ideal weight/body right now and maintain it without diet or exercise in exchange for one year of your life would you do it? You don't know how long you are going to live so it's a gamble. I'm still debating.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    No. Because being an ideal weight doesn't make you happier. Or your life better. Or people like you more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No, because it's an absolutely unnecessary sacrifice. Weight loss can be achieved without dramatic measures or a genie in a bottle. It's slow and can be frustrating, but you can achieve it. Even better is that you'll learn to love yourself along the way.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No. There may have been a time in my life where I would've said yes, but more like when I was 110lb overweight. Not 25lb overweight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...because what is an "ideal weight"...it's completely arbitrary...and if one isn't happy with who they are now, it's likely that being some arbitrary "ideal weight" isn't going to make any difference...being some arbitrary number on the scale doesn't make life better...being some arbitrary number is arbitrary and fairly meaningless and shouldn't define you.

Not to mention, I enjoy exercise...it's great for weight management but has so many other benefits that go beyond that...and being fit is pretty friggin' awesome so the idea that I wouldn't have to exercise ever again just sounds lame to me...I enjoy eating and training...most of my hobbies involve being physically active so, lame...
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I would NOT give up a year of my life but if there were a "magic pill" I would take it in a heartbeat. I'd also get liposuction and a full body lift if I could afford it. Judge me if you like, I'm being 100% real. That said, there is no magic and I'm broke so I'll get my fatass on the treadmill and count calories forever. B)
  • bkennealy
    bkennealy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    C'mon, quit this right now. You'll add years to your life by eating healthfully and being physically active. There's no magic and this isn't a problem worth devoting any of your time to.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    Options
    Can I choose one of the really bad years?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    No way!!! I may never be my "ideal" weight. I am happy with the person that I have become. I eat healthy...most days ( going to get lunch soon and yes there will be a cupcake...LOL) and exercise regularly! I may not be thin, but I am fit and STRONG!!!!
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No. That's not living your life and enjoying it--only focusing on something I think would make me "better."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Assuming I'm going to live to my late 80s/early 90s, I'd give up the LAST year of my life, sure.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    4jndvj5eayee.png
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No one has to
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    There is some conjecture that if you lose the weight you will GAIN some time at the end of your life.

Sooooo...the question is would you be willing gain a year of life by losing the weight?
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No. Because I want to prove to myself and everyone around me that I CAN do this. I can do the work and I will be even happier with the end result because of it.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If it allowed me to know how long I was going to live and took off the crappiest year, then I would consider it. But in your scenario, you don't know how long, so nope.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Of course, another way to look at this is opportunity cost: the amount of time spent in exercising and wellness activities one might not have spent otherwise.

If you spend an hour per day exercising, and you wouldn't have done that otherwise, then in 24 years you would have given up one year to exercise.

This ignores secondary effects such as the real chance of living longer being at a healthy weight, and the increased chance of injury or death due to the exercise itself.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    No. Because I hit my goal weight last year and nothing changed. My life is still exactly the same as it was when I was fat ...but now I can wear cuter clothes.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Can I choose one of the really bad years?

There's a couple I wouldn't mind skipping.