HRM: what to buy and how to log it in

Options
I've been reading a lot of threads on here about exercise, etc. and HRMS keep popping up. I used to have one in a past life, but no idea where it went. I'm considering buying a new one, so I wonder what type would be good to get. Is it possible to get a decent one that doesn't use a chest strap? (I remember my old chest strap rubbed me raw a few times) Any recommendations on brands that aren't crazy expensive?

Is the HRM a better way to go than using the estimates that are in the exercise database?

Then how do you log that information into your exercise record here? (I'm still kind of new here so still finding my way around :) )

thanks!

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    no one?
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Garmin has a few options, as well as fitbit, though I believe fitbit is a little more spendy. Each of these has an online dashboard and you can link your information to MFP so you only have to log it once. You could either google each of these, or look at Amazon and their ratings
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 225 has a wrist monitor instead of chest strap.
  • KimLavene
    KimLavene Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivosmart HR, but I notice i get cheated on intensity when it comes to HR. In talking to other fitness tracker owners, regardless of the brand, if you want accuracy, atleast wear the chest strap during workouts
  • KimLavene
    KimLavene Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If anyone would like to add me, my handle on garmin is cabuByKim
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want to use it for in terms of training.

Optical is still pretty limited in reliability but it's being used increasingly as an option in sports performance tools.

What type of training do you want to do?
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    I was thinking of starting a light running program soon. As I lose more weight, I may also get back into cycling (I just don't feel comfortable on a bike right now :( )

If I do it, I need to figure out what I did wrong with the chest strap, I did one half marathon and it rubbed me raw during training and the event. It didn't feel tight, but maybe it was.

Thanks, everyone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    OK, that helps. I'd personally veer towards a multisport GPS in that case, or just using your phone with an HRM that relates to your app of choice. Strava and Endomondo are my preferences, but there are others. If you go that route the Schoche Rhythm is a good option.

Personally I just use GPS most of the time, I have a similar issue with my HR pod shredding my chest. But in that instance it works out. I use a Forerunner 310XT, which is a pretty old design now, but it's low cost and has a good battery.

I'd generally go towards Garmin devices, but thata's what I have and others would advocate Suunto or TomTom GPS devices.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited March 2016
    Options
    operator error.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to invest. If you want just a heart rate monitor and you don't want a chest strap something like the Scosche Rhythm+ can be interesting and pretty reliable. You can wear it on your forearm or as some people do on their biceps. Or you can get one of the hundreds of wrist based ones. But if you want accuracy and consistency nothing beats chest straps. You can then later get a GPS watch if you get more serious about running or hiking and you need the data but a smartphone with GPS and a HRM does exactly the same things as the GPS watch only not as conveniently.

Oh and optical monitors suck for biking if they are wrist based. Too much wrist movement and flexing of the forearm going on
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    great, thanks for the input. I'm going to go research some of the models you all mentioned.

Just for curiosity's sake, if I went on a ride, used the HRM and wanted to log it in, how would I utilize the info from the HRM in evaluating my effort/calorie burn? For instance, in the database here it gives a speed range for effort. I know people who work just as hard to do 11-12 mph as someone who is going 16 mph. Would it then be kind of a judgement call to categorize the workout at a "faster" speed to indicate the effort? (does that make sense?)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Just for curiosity's sake, if I went on a ride, used the HRM and wanted to log it in, how would I utilize the info from the HRM in evaluating my effort/calorie burn?

Cycling is a bit tricky as calorie consumption is broadly a matter of mass and distance, hence suggesting a GPS as more useful to you than an HRM. Of course that is influenced by use of gears, and the undulation of the route. Climbing consumes more, coasting downhill consumes few, if any. I generally take the view that it nets off in the end as if I do a circular route I've not gained any net elevation, and whilst my descents are fast, they're short in the grand scheme of things.

I'd just use a GPS, or phone app, and let that work it out.

PErsonally I quite liked the Strava app
  • wayneh73
    wayneh73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wahoo Tickr will pair with most modern smart phones and the Strava App
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Got it, thank you so much @MeanderingMammal :)