Planet Fitness -- opinions please

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    I have never had a problem with the staff or the facility itself. I think it's funny that people are complaining about their "philosophies" and "shaming" practices. I have never seen that. They talk about being "lunk free" and "judgment free" and personally I appreciate that. I go to the gym to run and lift, not to be hit on. So, if it keeps some of the lunks away, I don't mind. That being said, I have seen many fit people, lunking around the gym and it's not like they are shaming them or kicking them out. So, if you are just going to get your workout in and keep to yourself, I think it's a great place to work out.

That's just my opinion.....

This!! I have been a member of PF for two years and I have never seen any of the negative things people think goes on at PF. Honestly most of the people I see working out there are quite fit/muscular and no one gives anyone crap about anything. I've never had to deal with what I hear a lot of people deal with at other gyms - constantly being hit on, people getting in the way by standing there taking selfies and "pretending" to work out. That sounds ridiculous to me. Everyone I see there is there to better themselves and that's it.

That doesn't happen at most gyms either BTW.

^ This. I have been a member of well over 20 (non-PF) gyms over the last 35+ years and I have never seen any of the negative things people think goes on in them. Women go about their workouts without being assaulted, pawed or raped, guys go about their workouts without standing in the way taking selfies or "pretending" to work out. In fact, in most gyms nobody even pays attention to what's going on around them unless somebody is doing something extraordinarily stupid - which, in most cases, gym staff will take care of immediately. The dreaded "lunk" is actually a very rare animal and doesn't exist in nearly the numbers gymophobes conjure up in their frenzied imaginations.

I have never had a problem with the staff or the facility itself. I think it's funny that people are complaining about their "philosophies" and "shaming" practices. I have never seen that....

Ever seen one of their television commercials? Go to YouTube and search "Planet Fitness commercial", you'll see plenty of their mocking/shaming practices. Let's start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with the staff or the facility itself. I think it's funny that people are complaining about their "philosophies" and "shaming" practices. I have never seen that. They talk about being "lunk free" and "judgment free" and personally I appreciate that. I go to the gym to run and lift, not to be hit on. So, if it keeps some of the lunks away, I don't mind. That being said, I have seen many fit people, lunking around the gym and it's not like they are shaming them or kicking them out. So, if you are just going to get your workout in and keep to yourself, I think it's a great place to work out.

This!! I have been a member of PF for two years and I have never seen any of the negative things people think goes on at PF. Honestly most of the people I see working out there are quite fit/muscular and no one gives anyone crap about anything. I've never had to deal with what I hear a lot of people deal with at other gyms - constantly being hit on, people getting in the way by standing there taking selfies and "pretending" to work out. That sounds ridiculous to me. Everyone I see there is there to better themselves and that's it.

That's good. It just sounds like it's commonplace with the way people talk in the "gym pet peeves" threads around here...
  • ServeJesus2008
    ServeJesus2008 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I go there and love been member for 5 years there
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im in my2nd year of it and for what *I* need, its great.

due to a temporary move last summer to care for my grandfather, i was a member of the Y and another gym (anytime fitness). the Y was DISGUSTING and i never felt welcome/comfortable at AF. and on top of it, it was always disgustingly dirty.

tip: if you go sign up for the $10/month plan.MY club at least will send an offer in the mail to upgrade to the black card with no additional sign up fee. i dont know if they all do that, but mine did.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

That's good. It just sounds like it's commonplace with the way people talk in the "gym pet peeves" threads around here...

By and large, the pet peeves mentioned in those discussions are entirely different from so-called "lunk" behavior. In fact, they're mostly the sort of things that non-lunks would do -- lounging on equipment, being a chatty cathy, and so forth.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

By and large, the pet peeves mentioned in those discussions are entirely different from so-called "lunk" behavior. In fact, they're mostly the sort of things that non-lunks would do -- lounging on equipment, being a chatty cathy, and so forth.

Yep according to their advertising and signs around the building. Lunks will be the guys in tank tops, drinking water from a gallon jug, grunting, dropping the weights or deadlifting. Not hitting you, "pretending" to workout, lounging on the machines, or taking selfies.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    But OP if you feel you can get a good workout there go for it.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I joined the Ymca because of the no commitment. Anytime Fitness gave me a 2 minute tour and then the manager asked, "So do you want to sign up for 1 year or 2 years? And I need to know by tonight or the price goes up 8 dollars a month tomorrow." Ugh, I wasn't 100% sure on joining a gym, and that just terrified me.

The Y is only $44 a month, and cancel at anytime. I know my initial thought when someone suggested the Y was "Ewww...." but the one I go to is HUGE, and completely remodeled when they moved to this location 2 years ago. There's saunas in all the locker rooms, a track, racquet ball, weight machines, cardio machines with cable TV, free weights, classes.... it's ridiculously nice.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to cancel?
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    try it and see whaat you think. Some are very good, some are supposedly not. Good price and if you get a good workout and it fits what you need, then it will be good.
  • zbakrjc
    zbakrjc Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For what you are looking for, I would say PF is perfect and you will get what you need.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with trying it out and if you don't have a contract then what do you have to lose?

zbakrjc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I've been in and out of gyms for over 20 years...I have never seen or experienced any of what you just mentioned...at least not in mass. Yeah, there's always some idiot...but most people going to any gym are doing so to go kick some *kitten* and take some names.

I used to have a PF membership primarily for cardio when weather was crappy...but yeah...they didn't allow certain lifts to be performed...i.e. traditional compound lifts. This is because in the judgment free zone, people who do traditional strength training are in fact judged and deemed as lunks...no squatting allowed, no deadlifting allowed, no clean or snatches...you know, just old fashioned traditional weight lifting movements that should be the foundation of any serious lifting program.

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

I've always defended PF but this is a little over the top for me lol....

F6a82cb.jpg
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am looking to join a CHEAP gym I can cancel if need be. I want cardio and a few weights -- nothing fancy. Is this the place for me?

They offer free pizza, bagels and candy to their members... that is all you really need to know.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

F6a82cb.jpg

That is terrible.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

F6a82cb.jpg

That completely depends on who the franchisee is. I've been to a PF that has a squat rack and benches with olympic bars which is totally NOT the PF model.

As for the pizza and bagels . . . NO ONE SAYS YOU HAVE TO GO THERE AND EAT THEM! Seriously, what really irks me is that 100% of the people on this site will sit back and say how they can eat an entire pizza in one sitting because it 'FITS IN THEIR MACROS' and yet they will turn their nose because a gym serves pizza. Guess what? No one is forcing you to eat it! I go to PF and do you want to know how many times I've been there on pizza night? ZERO! I've been there on bagel day because well, that's in the morning when I go and sure I drink the coffee and I might take a bagel home once in a while but I don't go there specifically for that. What is the difference between a gym that has a protein bar that serves shakes with twice as many calories as a slice of pizza and a gym that serves pizza? Is it because the protein shakes are "cool" and "what one needs to have after a workout, brah"? Do you not realize that those people who probably go to PF on pizza day are the same people who would be dropping change on a billion calorie after workout protein shake? Seriously, what's the difference?

Oh, and there a lot of big dudes that go to my PF and they haven't been kicked out.
  • spartan_d
    Options

F6a82cb.jpg

That completely depends on who the franchisee is. I've been to a PF that has a squat rack and benches with olympic bars which is totally NOT the PF model.

As for the pizza and bagels . . . NO ONE SAYS YOU HAVE TO GO THERE AND EAT THEM!

That's like a dentist offering free sugar cubes, then defending this practice by saying, "You don't have to eat them!" Your typical American already eats way too much of foods like pizza. Offering pizza freebies means creating extra temptations that would tend to work against the typical client's goals.
    Seriously, what really irks me is that 100% of the people on this site will sit back and say how they can eat an entire pizza in one sitting because it 'FITS IN THEIR MACROS' and yet they will turn their nose because a gym serves pizza.
    100%? You might want to reconsider that claim. Gross exaggerations really don't help.

Also, I think it's a safe bet that your typical PF member doesn't even know what a macro is, much less track them. That would doubtlessly be considered "lunk" behavior.
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Also, I think it's a safe bet that your typical PF member doesn't even know what a macro is, much less track them. That would doubtlessly be considered "lunk" behavior.

I think that is a completely unfair statement. I use PF for cheap cardio in close proximity to my house. It's clean, it's open 24 hours a day. I don't always get to go at the same time every day and I need a flexible place for when I want to jump on a machine. I have my own dumbbells (which I'm outgrowing) at home and when I get into serious lifting again I will need to find a different place for weight lifting.

Can we all agree that most people here are here to better themselves. Just like no group of people will all agree on their favorite type of restaurant, there is no universal workout place that will fit everyone.

If you have experienced PF and have an honest opinion on it based on that experience, then your commentary is probably helpful. If you have not and just don't agree with their hypocritical commercials, then I'm just not sure how your opinion could be helpful.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    I think it's completely fair. MOST people don't know what "macros" are, whether they go to PF or not. PF also makes a big deal about catering to the average Joe -- and, in fact, disparages the people who do tend to be much more strident about matters such as exercise and diet.

You say that you use PF for cheap cardio because it's convenient. I have absolutely no reason to doubt that, but it has no bearing on whether your typical PF goer would know what die-hard gym rats mean when they refer to "macros."

And YES, I have experienced PF. Even if I did not though, that would not invalidate my opinion. I haven't been a member of the NRA, the KKK, or the National Organization of Women either, but that wouldn't mean that I can't form a valid opinion of any of these organization either. That's just common sense.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Offering pizza freebies means creating extra temptations that would tend to work against the typical client's goals.

So then people who have food in their house are going to have to resist temptation every waking hour because it's there and readily available.
    100%? You might want to reconsider that claim. Gross exaggerations really don't help.

A good majority of them, yes. There are a lot of threads with people patting themselves on the back because they ate an entire pizza and then washed it down with a gallon of ice cream.

I think it's safe to say that the typical person doesn't know or care what a "macro" is.