Huge eye-opener

Options
JordisTSM
JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
Decided this morning to combine my walk with a supermarket trip. 4km round trip, and because the items I needed were all heavy, the return trip was carrying 28lbs split between a backpack and a carry-bag. (weighed them when I got home)

Going to pay for that walk tomorrow! When I got home and got rid of the bags, I felt like I could almost float away, weird feeling dropping that much weight.

Anyway, I've lost 104lbs since January 2015, and I've realised that just over a year ago, I was carrying around 3.5x the weight that I did this morning on a daily basis! No wonder I had no energy, sore knees, bad back etc. 28lbs was a real effort, how the hell did I carry around 104?

If I had attempted that walk a year ago, I would have been lucky to make it 1/4 of the way before I would have been in too much pain to continue.

Really eye-opening. Hadn't realised how much I'd lost in a tangible way before.

The real kicker is that I'm only half-way to goal. But now I'm extra excited and driven to keep going. What will I be capable of doing when the rest of it is gone?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • xickel
    xickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Way to go, that's an amazing loss! Best wishes for continued success!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What a great way to think about your journey! Congrats to you!
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great job! When I get to goal, I'll have removed 3 of my 5 year old daughter (she weighs about 36 lbs.)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Great eye-opener to share! I recently had a similar revelation when I tried to pick up and carry a 40 lb bag of pellets for my wood stove. How did we do it for so long???

Great job on sticking with it!!! That is an amazing loss and I love that you remain so inspired and committed to the process! I have no doubt you will reach your goal.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing- and great job! Good luck with the rest of your journey :)
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    That's a brilliant eye opener indeed!

I had it a few months ago with two bags with bottles of water in them. Weighed as much as I'd lost (about 28lbs then I think). It's quite amazing really :-)
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's quite a shock, isn't it?

I've lost the equivalent of my three year old toddler twice over and I can't even carry her down the stairs now - heck, I can't even push her in her buggy very far these days (I am sure that I was stronger when I was bigger, or maybe I just had the momentum to propel her further) :smile:
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had one of those moments carrying 86 pounds of kitty litter (two 43 pound bags) down the basement stairs. I can't believe I used to carry that 24/7! No wonder I was always so exhausted!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's how I remind myself of the real-world results of the progress I've made! I put X lbs of items in a bag and carry it around. It really turns that number on the scale into something tangible and real! So when I get down on myself for "only" being down about 20 lbs so far, time to carry that around again and remind myself of what I've really lost.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Also, 104 lbs! Holy cow, amazing job!
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I had lost 58 lbs.... I went up to Alaska to do fish processing, had to take a HUGE bag. I was lugging that thing around at the bus depot. Decided to weight it was 48 lb! I was in the same 'OMG! no wonder I move better now!"
    GREAT JOB!
  • saransaran
    saransaran Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Keep up the great work!,
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes! Great work, keep it up! I used to add some weights to my backpack when I'd go hiking to remind me how much extra work it is to lug that around.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What a great story. Congratulations on your success. And thanks for a great idea to carry the weight you've lost - just to keep in check all you've accomplished! I know that wasn't your plan, but I expect it would be very motivating for us MFP folks to remember where we were and why we keep on our journey.

Thank you!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Great story. Thank you for sharing.
  • fugedaboud_it
    fugedaboud_it Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of the best posts I've read here! Good job on succeeding !and thanks for sharing!
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!