Fitbit or Garmin

Options
I bought one of those fitbits last week and synched the information this week with myfitnesspal account instead of me manually entering my workouts.

Does anyone have opinions on the fitbit charged HR and its calculations? It determined that I have burned far many more calories for the day then want my cardio machines display. I ordered a garmin HR this week from QVC. The Garmin LED display is much larger and it seems to have more options.

Any opinion to which one is more accurate and recommendations to keep?

Thanks
dean

Replies

• MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the accuracy of Garmin compared to FitBit.

What I do know, or as I should say what has been my experience it that the FitBit HR is pretty accurate during steady state cardio activities (walking, running, elliptical, etc). I've worn it at the same time as my Polar HRM and compared the heart rate during both running and on the elliptical, it's always been within no more than 5 heart beats of my Polar.

As I understand it, Garmin is waterproof, so if you do a lot of swimming or water activities that you want to track, it may be a better fit for you.

As for me, the social aspect of FitBit has been really helpful in keeping me going. There's a group of us that does the "Workweek Hustle" and compete for the most steps M-F and it helps get me motivated to go out and get those extra steps to win.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have had both. Remember that Fitbit is always counting calories burned--not just ones that you burned doing cardio. I have always noticed a difference but Fitbit HR is getting my heart rate where with a cardio machine I am not plugged in nor do I hold onto the heart monitor things. Overall I tend to rely on my Fitbit more for that.

I honestly prefer Fitbit to the Garmin, but I did have the Garmin in one of its earlier stages when it was very basic and couldn't stand it. Fitbit for me has more motivation with badges, fun challenges with friends, where when I had the Garmin I just had the silly red arrows which were not motivating at all. Again though, I had the Garmin in one of its early stages and I know it has rapidly developed since then.

Hope this helps!