SI Dysfuction

Options
After a lot of nagging lower back and leg problems I went to a Doctor of Sports Medicine yesterday. He was very good and came highly recommended. They did an x-ray of my spine and he said it looked perfect but he did notice that I had some inflamation in the joints around the pelvic area. He did all kinds of tests of mobility and strength and said that I had textbook SI dysfunction. It's basically involves a joint. It is due to overuse and mechanics that I have learned so that I can workout even with pain. I am on an anti-inflamatory and will go to physical therapy 2-3 days a week for a month and work on unlearning some bad behavior. In the meantime, he suggested swimming and maybe walking. Basically, if it causes pain I have to stop. Last week I walked on the treadmill for a half an hour and it hurt. Ugh. So I explained to him that I like to Zumba, lift, run, etc. He said that the guy he is sending me to is the best he knows and should have me fixed in a month. Does anyone have any experience with SI dysfunction? I have lowered my calories to 1546 (I used Fitness Frog to come up with this number) so my diet will need to be good but what about loss of LBM? I was really starting to cut from all of the work I was doing and am really afraid of losing it. Will the PT help me with strength at all? Please don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to PT and hopefully getting rid of this pain for good but am just curious about anything I can do so stay strong. We won't do an MRI unless this doesn't work in case you are getting ready to call my doctor an idiot for not doing an MRI. Obviously I have been on the forums. Please be nice or don't comment.

ETA: Sorry....missed a letter. It's SI Dysfunction. Oops!!!

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's good you saw a sports med doctor, they're the best for things like this. If you'd like to read more about the condition, here's a link to the Mayo Clinic's page on it...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sacroiliitis/DS00726

A good physical therapist will give you things to do that will keep your flexibility & strength up, although you may have to modify and/or cut back on some of your routines. Usually the sports med docs have a good physical therapist they can recommend, because some of them out there are worthless.

Try to look on the bright side, this is a temporary issue & there are things that you CAN do to stay in shape, even if it may not be as strenuous as you'd like. It's good that you're already adapting by adjusting your diet.

It's hard, but you just have to take it as it comes sometimes. About a year ago I got a bad sinus infection & the first 3 antibiotics they tried didn't work. They ended up putting me on something super strong (if this didn't work they were going to IV antibiotics) w/a side effect of tendonitis and/or tendon rupture. I was told NOT to work out for the 3 weeks I was on it, not even walk for exercise, & that my tendons could rupture for the 9 months AFTER I was off of it. Sure enough, whenever I'd try to up my exercise from an easy walk, my tendons would actually start hurting. So I had to take it easy for 9 months, then get back into my regular more strenuous routine. So hang in there & this too shall pass.
  • republicofsmurf
    republicofsmurf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with my SI and my PT recommended core core core strengthening and clinical pilates. It has helped a lot, but you may have to wait till you are less acute.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I will check out that website. That's crazy about your sinus infection and what meds can do. To the PP....I have always wondered if my core was just incredibly weak because my balance is terrible.