Macros for frequent Running & looking to lean out

Options
I run frequently around 5-8kms typical and up to the occasional 10k. Already at a lean bf% but looking to cut a bit of bf but also improve my running times. Currently do around a 20-25% protein, 30% fat and the rest carbs daily. Thinking of cutting down the fat macros and bumping up protein or carbs and do a 5.lb/wk deficit for calories (-250cals/day). Finding it tough to do this deficit amount some days from an energy perspective so wondering if different macros will help success?

Other frequent runners what do you do for macros when trying to cut bf%?

Thanks

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I tried the higher fat route, didn't work for me. I target 20% protein, 25% fat, the rest carbs. I am maintaining though. A 250 cal deficit doesn't bother me.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tried the higher fat route, didn't work for me. I target 20% protein, 25% fat, the rest carbs. I am maintaining though. A 250 cal deficit doesn't bother me.

I'm going to play around with my intake to see how it tracks for weight/fat loss. Perhaps NEAT estimation is off as I agree shouldn't be noticing a -250 deficit so much. Reading about TEF makes me think more protein or starchy carbs could be a better option than current fat macro% as well.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »

I'm going to play around with my intake to see how it tracks for weight/fat loss. Perhaps NEAT estimation is off as I agree shouldn't be noticing a -250 deficit so much. Reading about TEF makes me think more protein or starchy carbs could be a better option than current fat macro% as well.

thats the best course of action. I try to keep it simple, carbs before run (if at all), carbs+protein immediately after run...the rest of the day works itself out.

• MrsGolfie77
    MrsGolfie77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also had no luck with higher fat, I do 50/30/20 and that has worked out great. I WO every day and run about 6-8 miles every weekend. I also stick to about -300 to loose but if I do any less, I am less lean.
  • powered85
    Options
    Looking back I've been doing this macro% for quite some time. I'll try more carbs and bit more protein. Really looking to only drop only 2-3lbs of fat but certainly gets harder as you get leaner to really dial things in !

Do lifting several times per week but only a few upper body exercises there and high reps.... so don't think that is playing a big part it adding much bulk.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Looking back I've been doing this macro% for quite some time. I'll try more carbs and bit more protein. Really looking to only drop only 2-3lbs of fat but certainly gets harder as you get leaner to really dial things in !

Do lifting several times per week but only a few upper body exercises there and high reps.... so don't think that is playing a big part it adding much bulk.

the only hard part is the mental part. It comes off if the calorie count is correct. It just doesn't come off when you want it to.

• powered85
    Options

the only hard part is the mental part. It comes off if the calorie count is correct. It just doesn't come off when you want it to.

Indeed. Went through my 30 and 90 day log and can see where my fats are coming from. Any other frequent runners able to chime in for macros while trying to lean out a bit?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Indeed. Went through my 30 and 90 day log and can see where my fats are coming from. Any other frequent runners able to chime in for macros while trying to lean out a bit?

It's not the fat, it's just the calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

fat does not make you fat…

what matters is that you are in a consistent calorie deficit….since you are already lean and trying to get leaner it is going to be difficult to get there and you are going to need strict logging, strict eating, and strict adherence to micros and macros…

how long have you been dieting for? You may benefit from a diet break or refeed...
  • powered85
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what matters is that you are in a consistent calorie deficit….since you are already lean and trying to get leaner it is going to be difficult to get there and you are going to need strict logging, strict eating, and strict adherence to micros and macros…

how long have you been dieting for? You may benefit from a diet break or refeed...

I agree total calories is the major factor but wondering if a better macro % will help in fueling for running and cardio vs having a 30-32% fat ratio while running a deficit.

Thanks
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I agree total calories is the major factor but wondering if a better macro % will help in fueling for running and cardio vs having a 30-32% fat ratio while running a deficit.

Thanks

Dont mix the two. There is how to properly fuel your body and then there is how to lose the fat. Losing the fat is all calories. Proper fueling you will have to tinker with the macros while keep the calories under control to lose the fat.