"Earning your treats" mentality?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Do you think the mentality of "earning" or "deserving" treats through exercise is good or harmful? Why?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

I exercise to earn more calories.

I also understand that losing weight is 100% dependent on a calorie deficit and that most of that deficit is created through diet.

I really don't think it's a big deal as long as macros and micros are met roughly every day and weight is lost.
  • mldoucette
    mldoucette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with it. I work hard all week on fitness and watching calories, and on Friday, I sit back and enjoy a glass of wine.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me, it leads down a road of turning this "If I go for a 30 minute walk, I can eat this cookie." into this "I can't eat this cookie unless I go walk for 30 minutes." That sounds normal and logical until you're doing a 6 mile walk around town at 2 am because you misjudged how many calories in that cookie.

I work my treats into my day. It's easier for me since it doesn't lead me down the ED path.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    CICO, therefore, it's fine as long as you aren't delusional about how much of a treat you've earned.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I thinks it's probably usually harmful, as most people tend to overestimate the workout they did, and underestimate the calories they're consuming.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do incorporate treats into my daily allotment but if it's something like pizza or drinks then I would just make sure I work out that day for the extra wiggle room lol
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The time I mentioned it on MFP (suggesting a person could take a walk and eat an apple as she was still hungry and out of calories) I was told my thought was disordered. So I don't suggest that anymore. Lol
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thought guys! I went swimming today and was still hungry after dinner, so I had some liquorice - not healthy haha but I made sure it was under my day. I caught myself thinking "I deserve this" & wasn't sure if that was a useful thought or not. It certainly was yummy though lol.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    50% of the reason I run is for calories, aka beer, wine, and chocolate.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I leave room every day for treats in bed. It's not quite a "reward" for eating right, it's just what I get to do. In the beginning it helped me say no to the office treats but now I enjoy it. I don't think thinking of them as "rewards" is a bad thing, it can just become a bad thing for some people.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think it could be negative for some people to think that way... like they might overeat and beat themselves up over it or push themselves to exercise a lot to compensate for overeating.
    I have a exercise plan. I eat some of my exercise calories. It isn't about deserving the food. I want it and I have the calories for it.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yep. I drink a cup of chocolate milk after a workout because I've earned it, but it fits within my calorie goal. I don't really restrict or reward myself that much, I follow the 80/20 rule for the most part and just stay near my calorie goal. I think it just depends on what works for you personally.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. Some people can take too far, and and for some people it just won't work. I'd say for most people it's ok.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Whatever motivates you and keeps you successful. Don't over complicate it. But I do believe I always deserve treats, so :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I thing the use of words like "treats" creates a rewards and punishment mentality around food that keeps people regard food as something much more emotional than it should be.

In terms of earning calories I see the CICO situation much like a bank account.......

If you spend money you haven't got you will get into debt and it will sooner or later cause you trouble. So either you earn the money before you buy something, or you buy something on loan but pay it off as soon as you can.

Likewise, if you're into instant gratification and you carry on eating calories you haven't really got or that you don't burn off afterwards you will get fat... Simple as.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "Exercise bulimia is a subset of the psychological disorder called bulimia in which a person is compelled to exercise in an effort aimed at burning the calories of food energy and fat reserves to an excessive level that negatively affects their health."
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    So are you trying to imply that everyone who actually applies CICO is mentally unstable?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP taken to excess it would be a bad thing, as illustrated by there being a diagnosable condition.

I have no idea what "actually applies CICO" means.
  • Goatsmith
    Goatsmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's a budget thing for me. I budget XYZ calories for the day. If I eat too much, I "owe". If I'm "uderbudget", I get to eat more. I track as precisely as I can for any given situation, and err on the side of "this cost more", because more work hurts less than too much food.