Cardio

Options
Ok so cardio isnt going to burn fat right? So doing squats ,situps ,lunges etc. And watching your calories will help me lose weight and gain muscle??

Replies

• samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't magically burn fat, however it does burn calories. If you eat too much, you'll gain. If you are eating at a deficit, you will burn fat.

:smile:
  • Wolverine_76
    Wolverine_76 Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    ^this
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This. If you want to gain muscle, that is a different discussion.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it does. so wrong. I burn 1000 day,
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    ^^it doesn't. ....it burns CALORIES....
  • maryjane703
    maryjane703 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cardio and strength training is what I suggest. It's always worked for me. Once you're in a routine you can eat more too. Or at least for myself.
  • Breannarosebrooks
    Breannarosebrooks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and what does it mean to eat calorie deficit? Also im on a low budget so i try to workout at home but i have no weights
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The links in this post will help you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads

In short, the number of calories you eat everyday has to be less than the amount your body uses. This is referred to as CICO (calories in, calories out). If you eat at a deficit, meaning you consume less calories than you burn, then you will lose weight. Exercise is NOT necessary, only the deficit. However, if you exercise, you burn more calories and you can eat a little more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys and what does it mean to eat calorie deficit? Also im on a low budget so i try to workout at home but i have no weights

Think of your body as a machine. All machines require energy to operate and run all it's functions right? A calorie is just a unit of energy...it is the energy that our machines utilizes to operate. For most people, merely existing provides for the greatest energy requirement...in my case, I require somewhere between 1800-1900 calories to merely exist and keep my heart pumping and lungs working and kidneys and liver working, etc. Of course, I do more than exist...i get up and do my daily stuff...this adds another, say 500 calories or so of energy that I would require...so now we're at about 2400 calories per day just to exist and do my daily stuff like going to work, driving, cooking and cleaning around the house, etc. On top of that I exercise regularly which adds another 600 calories or so per day...so now I'm at about 3,000 calories to do everything and function optimally.

So basically, if I consume 3,000 calories per day I'm going to maintain the status quot...all operations will be functioning at an optimal level and I will maintain my weight, etc. If I only eat 2,500 calories per day, I'm in a deficit of energy...I'm not consuming enough energy to support the operations of my body...so what happens? Well, my backup generator kicks on to make up for that deficiency...your fat stores are your backup generator...when you don't consume enough energy to support your body's operations, you burn body fat to make up the difference.

Exercise is good for many reasons, one of which is increasing your body's energy expenditure...this makes weight management in general easier and gives you more latitude to work with than if you didn't exercise. Beyond that, regular exercise is good for your overall health and wellness...cardiovascular exercises improve your cardiovascular fitness...it makes your heart and lungs stronger and more efficient...weight lifting or otherwise doing resistance training is how we preserve and build muscle mass as well as strong bones, tendons, etc. Beyond the numerous health benefits of regular exercise, regular exercise will provide for better aesthetics and physique...you know, that nice "toned" look that people are always going on about once the fat is cut.
  • Breannarosebrooks
    Breannarosebrooks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Very well explained
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ok so cardio isnt going to burn fat right? So doing squats ,situps ,lunges etc. And watching your calories will help me lose weight and gain muscle??

calorie deficit for weight loss
    exercise for general health
    strict micro and macro adherence and lifting regimen for more serious body comp goals.
    bulk/cut cycles to add muscle and then cut off excess fat
    recomp for long term process of losing some fat and gaining some muscle
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    it does. so wrong. I burn 1000 day,
    So you burn 1000 fat calories a day? Pray tell how are you doing this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png