Do oils cook off?

Options
Nertak
Nertak Posts: 34 Member
I though I was making a low calorie meals but I hadn't factored in the oil. Now i'm suddenly realizing that what I thought was calorie might in fact be the opposite.

Its

1 can of Black Beans (360 calories)
1 large potato (300 calories)
4 tbls salsa (50 calories)
1 tbls garlic powder (25 calories)
1 tbls onion powder (25 calories)
1 tbls chili powder (25 Calories)

for 785 calories

Its pretty much baked steak fries that I mix the black beans and salsa with.

I also used 3 tbls of canola oil to help the potato not burn when I bake it. I never though about it adding calories. Today for some reason is the first time I noticed that its a whopping 130 calories a tbls for another 360 calories. Does the oil burn off or anything or have I been completely blowing it and making a 1,175 calorie total when I thought it was 785?

Thanks

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No, oil doesn't evaporate, but that's a ton of oil for one potato. Why not try using a tablespoon or less? It shouldn't take much to lightly coast the potato slices.
  • Nertak
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    No, oil doesn't evaporate, but that's a ton of oil for one potato. Why not try using a tablespoon or less? It shouldn't take much to lightly coast the potato slices.

I'm altering a recipe I found online. I mix all the spices into the oil so they don't burn. I certainly could try less but the recipe called for 3 so thats what I used.

Really depressed over this now and will probably just stop making this all together.

Can anyone recommend a low calorie way of making baked steak fries?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about spray olive oil? Or whatever it's called!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I toss my potatoes in oil, spread them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle in spices, and then bake. My spices brown but do not burn.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Those ingredients would also be good as a topping for a baked potato. With the salsa, I'm sure you could use less than 360 calories of salad dressing/cottage cheese/sour cream to add enough moisture.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The oil actually absorbs into the food. So yes, you are eating all the oil calories.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The all important question OP.. Have you been losing weight?
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    That's a question for your smoke detector.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What about spray olive oil? Or whatever it's called!

I call it spray olive oil. Or put olive oil in a spritzer, as I do.

Works with a small amount.

You also can just add less. I always cut the fat in recipes.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use 1cal spray, there several different oils, olive, sunflower etc. You should consider weighing the the tablespoons before and after baking, this will give you a more accurate number for calories in the oil. That is providing you don't consume the excess oil, which I highly doubt, so its unlikely your intake is an extra 360cal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization of this recently too. All the videos I watch on u tube say such and such tablespoons of olive oil. And yet it still considered healthy. It's like 120 Cals per TBSP. yikes !
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i only ever use 5ml of oil for anything I cook. Whether it's for stir fry, bolognese,ratatouille or tossing sweet potatoes, everything still cooks perfectly. It's such a flavourless waste of calories, but a tiny bit helps the food caramelise and cook nicely, just watch the temperatures and stir/baste frequently.

If I am feeling indulgent I use coconut oil instead, now that shizzle is delicious! Just expensive.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have a little oil mister. Handy little thing...

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70289/Misto-Oil-Sprayer
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, the oil is in your food.
    You could probably make your 1 potato with one teaspoon of oil or try cooking spray but oil won't keep food from burning. It makes the spices stay on, the potatoes not stick or helps it to be crispier. Add some broth/water, cover with foil or lower your temperature/cooking time to keep your dish from actually burning and add less calories.
  • JavaPenney
    JavaPenney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slice an 8 oz potato into fries and put into a plastic bag. Add 1/2 tbsp. oil (measured) to the bag, then add your spices. Massage the oil and spices on to your potato. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes on a PARCHMENT PAPER lined pan. No need to turn over and perfect "fries" every time!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Yep - you are getting the oil calories, like everyone else has said ... but it is a healthy recipe ... maco wise it's got a good carb (the potato) a good carb/protein (black beans), and a decent oil (there are better healthy oils than canola) ... it's probably not meant to be one serving, but 3 or 4.
  • Nertak
    Options

I have been, but I also have been really conservative. Adding extra calories to each meal and leaving a calorie buffer at the end of each day. Honestly, I was going to start easing up a bit before realizing that I suck and my "extra" calories were apparently needed to make my goal.
    RodaRose wrote: »

Orange juice instead of oil? Never would have though of that. I assume you have tried that recipe? If so, does it effect the taste? The cooking range it gives is 40-70min that is a pretty wide range, around how long do you find it takes?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nertak wrote: »

I have been, but I also have been really conservative. Adding extra calories to each meal and leaving a calorie buffer at the end of each day. Honestly, I was going to start easing up a bit before realizing that I suck and my "extra" calories were apparently needed to make my goal.

You don't suck. Honestly, you're doing great. You had a feeling about keeping a buffer, and you're losing weight. Now you're starting to understand a little better about logging and getting a better grasp on how many calories you are really eating, which is really important as you get closer to goal weight, as there is less room for error. Soon you might really want to start weighing your potato and even salsa, etc. It will help you to be even more accurate.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Nertak wrote: »

RodaRose wrote: »

Orange juice instead of oil? Never would have though of that. I assume you have tried that recipe? If so, does it effect the taste? The cooking range it gives is 40-70min that is a pretty wide range, around how long do you find it takes?

Agreed, you don't suck! I never used to count my oil either...