Week Long Water Fast - Good idea or bad idea?

Options

Replies

• slvrdrgn33
    slvrdrgn33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done it for a day, But a week is far too long. You body will go into starvation mode and it will cause your metabolism to slow down. You body needs calories to function. But it is capable of going 1 day without food. That will not be harmful to it.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never attempt a fast any more than 24-48 hours. I think fasting can have positive effects but I think 7 days might actually create a negative relationship between you and the food you eat, not to mention deprive you of energy and focus you might need for daily tasks.

Out of curiosity, what do you hope to get out of a 7 day fast and what gave you this idea? I'm not here to judge, but this seems like a pretty big decision...
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I fast regularly for spirit, mind, and body. I did a 28 day water-only fast in my mid 20's that cured my chronic eczema rashes, which haven't returned since. There are a lot of health benefits to fasting, as well as a plethora of ignorance and misinformation.

This isn't the place to ask about fasting. Most people here haven't any clue whatsoever about the process, nor how the human body (positively) reacts during a proper fast. For most fasting=starvation, and they couldn't tell you the difference between the two. There are thankfully a lot of resources on the web that are pro-fasting for health on all levels, and I'd recommend you search them out. Good luck!

So she should drink nothing but water for 7 days?
    I'm so glad I have a healthy relationship with food.

Human beings have fasted for thousands of years. Millions fast regularly across this planet for various reasons. Do not assume that your Westernized idea about food, and fasting, are the correct answer, or that every faster has a bad relationship with food. Plenty of people fast for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with food.

The OP could be fasting for bad reasons, or not, I have no clue. What I do know is that she'll not find much real, accurate information about the process here. That's the bottom line. Hopefully she'll search and find some information from fasting practitioners that will educate her on proper fasting, or warn her against fasting if she's ill equipped or not doing it from the proper place.

Yeah thousands of years, the affects and the how to are passed through the generations (e.g ramadam)

This girl is talking about starvation for 7 days consuming vast amounts of water.

I don't assume my westernised food ideas are correct, I am however safe in the assumption that what I do is 10x healthier than crap like this.

I am not really going to debate the merits of fasting with you, or anybody here. I am somebody who fasts, am well educated on the matter, and have reaped wonderful benefits from both long term fasting and IFing. That's all that matters to me.

As far as the OP, like I've said twice, it's best she seek out competent counsel from people who are well educated and versed in this matter. THIS board is not that place.

Thats good. Bordom was setting in.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I fast regularly for spirit, mind, and body. I did a 28 day water-only fast in my mid 20's that cured my chronic eczema rashes, which haven't returned since. There are a lot of health benefits to fasting, as well as a plethora of ignorance and misinformation.

This isn't the place to ask about fasting. Most people here haven't any clue whatsoever about the process, nor how the human body (positively) reacts during a proper fast. For most fasting=starvation, and they couldn't tell you the difference between the two. There are thankfully a lot of resources on the web that are pro-fasting for health on all levels, and I'd recommend you search them out. Good luck!

Human beings have fasted for thousands of years. Millions fast regularly across this planet for various reasons. Do not assume that your Westernized idea about food, and fasting, are the correct answer, or that every faster has a bad relationship with food. Plenty of people fast for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with food.

The OP could be fasting for bad reasons, or not, I have no clue. What I do know is that she'll not find much real, accurate information about the process here. That's the bottom line. Hopefully she'll search and find some information from fasting practitioners that will educate her on proper fasting, or warn her against fasting if she's ill equipped or not doing it from the proper place.

I personally don't think that our bodies determine whether or not to starve to death on whether the fast is for "good reasons" or "bad reasons." If you only drink water for an extended period of time, you will get hyponutremia, you'll be malnourished and then you will die. That is a fact.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    To the op: A 24-hour fast every few months is no big deal. 7 days sounds extreme. There are lots of threads here on fasting, look'em up.

My theory is that primitive humans didn't eat 3 square meals a day. Probably they went for hours or days without eating anything, then binged and gorged when they did find food, to hold them until the next meal. Once we settled down to raise animals and grow crops, food became a more regular thing. But even then, there could be dry spells and bad crops and people would go hungry for days, eating bark or leather or whatever they could get.

Fasting is natural. Constant access to food is relatively recent and not necessarily healthy. Anyway - be careful, whatever you decide.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am not really going to debate the merits of fasting with you, or anybody here. I am somebody who fasts, am well educated on the matter, and have reaped wonderful benefits from both long term fasting and IFing. That's all that matters to me.

As far as the OP, like I've said twice, it's best she seek out competent counsel from people who are well educated and versed in this matter. THIS board is not that place.

They may be well educated and versed in the subject matter, but that doesn't make them competent.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My prediction:

On Day 1 you will be hungry.
    On Day 2 you will be very hungry.
    By Day 3 you will be irritable, light headed, tired, and headachy. Oh, and hungry.
    On Day 4 (if you've lasted that long) you will eat everything in sight and gain back all the water weight you've lost.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My prediction:

On Day 1 you will be hungry.
    On Day 1.2 you will be very hungry.
    By Day 1.5 you will be irritable, light headed, tired, and headachy. Oh, and hungry.
    On Day 1.7 (if you've lasted that long) you will eat everything in sight and gain back all the water weight you've lost.

This
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I mean, waters like really good for you...I don't see a problem here. Let me know how it goes!

There your an idiot. Please do report this, by all means.
    9202d1361162724-375994_sarcasm_sign.jpg
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how starving yourself for a week could go wrong
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I mean, waters like really good for you...I don't see a problem here. Let me know how it goes!

There your an idiot. Please do report this, by all means.
    9202d1361162724-375994_sarcasm_sign.jpg

Ah Big Bang <3
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Generally anything with term "detox" raises a red BS flag in my head.

There can be health benefits to fasts, but usually for a much shorter period.

Why are you concerned about your water weight?

Basically I will agree with almost everyone who has already posted and tell you that this isn't a very good idea. Look for a sustainable strategy that you can use for the rest of your life.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Good gravy.
    There IS a problem here!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

Just wondered if any of you might have water fasted in the past and if so, how was it for you? Was it worth it?

I'm considering going on a week long water fast to help me detox my body and hopefully shed some excess water weight.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Seems about as legit as doing this...

tumblr_mlocs8QKEX1s917bwo1_400.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Good gravy.
    There IS a problem here!!

sarcasm_detector.jpg
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    To the op: A 24-hour fast every few months is no big deal. 7 days sounds extreme. There are lots of threads here on fasting, look'em up.

My theory is that primitive humans didn't eat 3 square meals a day. Probably they went for hours or days without eating anything, then binged and gorged when they did find food, to hold them until the next meal. Once we settled down to raise animals and grow crops, food became a more regular thing. But even then, there could be dry spells and bad crops and people would go hungry for days, eating bark or leather or whatever they could get.

Fasting is natural. Constant access to food is relatively recent and not necessarily healthy. Anyway - be careful, whatever you decide.

Constant access to food is 'not necessarily healthy' while intermittent starvation is? People in prehistoric times have shorter average lifespans. I can say that starve-engorge cycle is 'not necessarily healthy' either.

I think water fasting for a week is not likely to kill you or harm you tremendously. But, since it doesn't provide any benefit that can't be gained through other (safer) ways, it's not a great idea.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    That sounds horrible:/
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I personally don't think that our bodies determine whether or not to starve to death on whether the fast is for "good reasons" or "bad reasons." If you only drink water for an extended period of time, you will get hyponutremia, you'll be malnourished and then you will die. That is a fact.

Yes, if you fast to the point of tapping out all your fat reserves and/or deplete all your bodies stored vitamins, electrolytes, and nutrients you will indeed perish after you body begins eating away at crucial muscle, like the heart.

Now since you're apparently well educated on this process, care to specify at what point death happens?
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Yes, if you fast to the point of tapping out all your fat reserves and/or deplete all your bodies stored vitamins, electrolytes, and nutrients you will indeed perish after you body begins eating away at crucial muscle, like the heart.

Now since you're apparently well educated on this process, care to specify at what point death happens?

Ummm you just answered it in your first paragraph... LOL
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    darwinrp2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.