Is this a good weight loss tip?

Options
kittenonmars
kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I was talking to a friend about weight loss, and he suggested that in order to get to your goal weight, all you'd need to do, is look up the caloric daily need for a person your height at that weight, and eat that amount until you reached the goal. That way you don't have to readjust anything and you just continue the lifestyle after you reached it. Since I know very little about the science behind weight loss, can someone with more knowledge tell me if this is yay or nay? :)
To me it sounds logical, but who knows...

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    It can work. It did inadvertently for me.
    I think it depends on how much one needs to lose.

A 5'4, 30yo, sedentary woman at 120 lbs would have a TDEE of 1596.

At 150 lbs a TDEE of 1753. She would lose .5 lbs to begin with, the loss
    decreasing as she got closer to her goal.

At 250 lbs a TDEE of 2277. She would lose 1.5 lbs a week to begin with, the loss decreasing as she got closer to goal.

Cheers, h.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Stick your stats unto mpf and take it from there.....working for me....54lb down
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's a great method if you don't mind weight loss potentially being very slow when you get to the point where you have less to lose.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Theoretically that would work, although it would take a very longgggg time. ;)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yep, is a legit method but as noted above, it can mean a longer, slower road to goal weight but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I considered it and think if someone is patient enough it's a great way to adjust to a new lifestyle, much more so than aggressive deficits.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. It will work. <3
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much what I'm doing, i.e. eating at my goal weight, and it works for me. It's been steady losses and I'm almost 20lb down since Jan. I realise it'll slow down as you get closer to goal weight, but I have no problems with not being at my goal like by tomorrow...
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It could work, but it also might not. The person at your goal weight could possibly be very active and eating more than you would need in order to maintain their size. I would recommend using MFPs numbers as a start and evaluate from there. If it's working then keep at it and if not then take away a little more calories.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    It could work, but it also might not. The person at your goal weight could possibly be very active and eating more than you would need in order to maintain their size. I would recommend using MFPs numbers as a start and evaluate from there. If it's working then keep at it and if not then take away a little more calories.

You would use your goals weight and current activity level to calculate your maintenance TDEE. So it would work. Unless you try to pretend you're significantly more active than you are.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

I think you misunderstood. VintageFeline explains it well.

I *was* that goal weight three years ago and I know what my stats and my activity levels were to maintain that weight. You simply use a TDEE calculator to give you the figures and eat accordingly.
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It will work until you get close to your goal weight, then it's going to be extremely slow.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It will work until you get close to your goal weight, then it's going to be extremely slow.

I agree. But when you get close, there's no need to hurry. I think it's a clever method and I considered it myself when I started.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    As you get close to goal, if you're doing resistance training (and not just heavy lifting, any resistance work, it will just be slower with lower weights or bodyweight) then it will be much more like a recomp at the end. I think it could give better aesthetic results for some people actually.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    you are what you eat
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

I think you misunderstood. VintageFeline explains it well.

I *was* that goal weight three years ago and I know what my stats and my activity levels were to maintain that weight. You simply use a TDEE calculator to give you the figures and eat accordingly.
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

No, I understood. I was responding to the OP. What you're doing will definitely work for you, but I was just explaining why it might not for the OP. Sorry for the misunderstanding.