Gluten Free Protein Powder?

Options
I have celiac disease, lactose intolerant, and I'm extremely picky; which leads to not enough protein.... Is there a gluten free protein powder out there?

Thanks!

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There are a few, some of which are available at Walmart.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Quest makes some. They also have gluten free protein bars as well. I tried the shakes about a year ago and it wasn't that bad, I just didn't really like it (but I seem to not like any protein shake).

I know some people swear quest bars are amazing, but I personally don't like them. They are too sweet for me.

Edit: whoops, I must have missed that you were lactose intolerant. I think quest has milk derived ingredients. It has milk protein isolate. Sorry!
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I haven't thought about bars... I was thinking powder to add to my smoothies.

I was hoping someone might have powder recommendations, not just available at a certain store. Online doesn't always list if a product is gluten free :(
  • elphie754
    Options
    I haven't thought about bars... I was thinking powder to add to my smoothies.

I was hoping someone might have powder recommendations, not just available at a certain store. Online doesn't always list if a product is gluten free :(

So after my unhelpful advice about quest shakes, I decided to do a little searching and found this: http://www.prosource.net/paleo-protein.html?gclid=CJzOsOLLqcsCFVJahgodO-gDsg

Has no gluten containing ingredients and no milk protein.

Here's another one that claims to be free from major allergens-http://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Sugar-Free-Gluten-Free-Soy-Free-Servings/dp/B009YLOPGQ

I have no idea if they taste any good though.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Oh, I can sympathize with you about the gluten. I'm deadly allergic to what, barley, pay and gluten. It can get annoying when companies are vague about the ingredients. I'm sure you know this, but being certified GF in the US just means it was below the cut off of 220 ppm. It can still contain trace amounts, especially if it is made in the same area as not GF items(cross contamination).
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You could look for pea protein, it's usually advertised as vegan so I would assume lactose free and gluten free. I did in my darker dieting day use herbalife shakes, the free from variety (no soy for me) that contained pea protein, it tasted pretty good as long as I added some fruit or cocoa powder. (I do not recommend herbalife at all though) I'm sure I've seen pea protein on amazon recently.
  • esn222
    esn222 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva hemp protein powder. It's gluten-free. It doesn't have flavorings and isn't gross and sweet.
  • esn222
    esn222 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    And no lactose either (or anything else besides hemp powder).
  • BoomstickChik
    Options
    esn222 wrote: »
    I use Nutiva hemp protein powder. It's gluten-free. It doesn't have flavorings and isn't gross and sweet.

Thanks!

• BoomstickChik
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    You could look for pea protein, it's usually advertised as vegan so I would assume lactose free and gluten free. I did in my darker dieting day use herbalife shakes, the free from variety (no soy for me) that contained pea protein, it tasted pretty good as long as I added some fruit or cocoa powder. (I do not recommend herbalife at all though) I'm sure I've seen pea protein on amazon recently.

Wheat is vegan and not gluten free. Never assume. That's a rough few days/weeks for a celiac lol.

Thank you though.

I'm going to be checking these out.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There are many brands out there. Try bodybuilding.com and check the ingredient lists
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Wheat is vegan and not gluten free. Never assume. That's a rough few days/weeks for a celiac lol.

Thank you though.

Sorry yeah I suppose I wasn’t super clear, I meant to say I'm sure it doesn't contain lactose, I wasn't 100% on the gluten, pretty sure 100% pea protein wouldn't be, but he! don't quote me on that! Definitely double check wouldn't want to be responsible for a celiac flare up!
  • BoomstickChik
    Options

Thank you though.

Sorry yeah I suppose I wasn’t super clear, I meant to say I'm sure it doesn't contain lactose, I wasn't 100% on the gluten, pretty sure 100% pea protein wouldn't be, but he! don't quote me on that! Definitely double check wouldn't want to be responsible for a celiac flare up!

I always check!! Had an oops once since being diagnosed. Never. Again.

And all good. Some people do think vegan = gluten free.

I ended up buying the nutiva brand someone mentioned :)
  • chinagirl1234
    chinagirl1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Arbonne has protein powders vegan (no dairy) and gluten free and pretty tasty.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I just started using Naturliga pea protein. There are "natural flavours" added but it specifies vegan (and therefore dairy free) and gluten free on the label.

I have tried at least a dozen vegan proteins, and the Naturliga vanilla swirl is the best tasting I've had so far.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    NutriBiotic Organic Rice Protein
    It has one ingredient -- rice
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Mrm veggie one or Vega1
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Juice Plus makes a delicious complete protein shake called Complete. It's vegan and gluten free...and delicious!
  • mamaChristine
    mamaChristine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nutracelle's powders are whey protein (not sure how that will affect your lactose issues), but they are certified gluten and nut free. I have all of the detailed info at www.facebook.com/groups/NutracelleChristineB/
  • BoomstickChik
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I ordered the hemp one (ICK) so I'm going to be searching for a new one when it's gone.