MFP article photos depressing

Options

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Arbeej wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure none of the models featured ever used MFP or faced the struggles that we are trying to overcome.

No; you can be damn sure all fitness models count their calories.
    These photos do the opposite of inspiring/ motivating me. They depress me and kind of make me want to give up. No matter how much success I achieve, I can never look like these women.

With that kind of attitude, you will fail.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Here's my real life article with real life pics of a 60 yo woman who will never be a size 2 or 4. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10347057/my-success-story-made-the-front-page-of-the-newspaper/p1
    That is just phenomenal. Congratulations!

• BestWishesForYou
    BestWishesForYou Posts: 34 Member
    Options

lorrpb wrote: »
    Here's my real life article with real life pics of a 60 yo woman who will never be a size 2 or 4. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10347057/my-success-story-made-the-front-page-of-the-newspaper/p1

You are truly inspiring! You are exactly the kind of beautiful woman I would love to see alongside any of the articles!
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow! I'm sure glad this is a 'motivation and support' discussion. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if it were a 'tear her down and make her feel worse' chat. There is nothing wrong with 'fit models' or people who are in great shape by working at it. Everyone has a different body shape and wears different sizes but what's important is how a person feels when looking in the mirror or at pictures that are supposed to motivate a person. I totally understand where @Arbeej is coming from and I also can see where those who don't agree with her are as well. I know from experience that setting myself up to even begin to try to wear anything under a size 12...yes, I said 12!...is setting myself up for failure. Of course, I'm talking about the size 12 when it was actually a size 12 before 0 became a real size. In fact, I don't really focus on what size of clothes I'm wearing as long as I feel good about how I look and whether or not I'm comfortable in my own skin. I just try on clothes until I find something I like and...gasp!...to heck with what size it is! Of course, because I have been exercising, watching calories and losing weight, my clothing size has gone down but I never expect or want to get to a size that is too hard to maintain...again, setting myself up for failure.

It would be nice to see 'Plus size models'...another 'failure' phrase...in pictures once in a while. I find it sad that a normal woman with normal breasts, waist and hips is considered 'unfit' by most of society today. Whenever I would join a gym and go every day to try to get into better shape, I would find myself surrounded by people already in shape and hardly any body fat whatsoever! I found it very intimidating and would eventually just stop going. Even if I had lost a few pounds doing it, I still felt I was being judged because I was not already fit and trim. There are looks that some (NOT ALL) fit and trim people give to people who are trying hard to become fit and trim that can be quite devastating. As for the locker rooms, forget it! I would hide in the dressing rooms and private showers provided, getting in and out of there as fast as possible.

So, maybe we should try a little empathy with @Arbeej and look at what she is seeing from her point of view. Again, nothing wrong with thin, fit people just as there is nothing wrong with before and after pictures such as @HappyCampr1 posted...Wow, by the way! When starting on a new journey such as @Arbeej or myself is doing, sometimes it would be nice to see people who are more representative of ourselves...not-as-thin-but-still-fit women who are happy with their look. It makes what we are shooting for more real and within our grasp!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,536 Member
    Options
    Read the articles. Then go to the SUCCESS pages to see real MFP people. Pictured people on articles are there just for "fluff". It's common in just about any fitness industry setting. Why? Creating desire helps to inspire people in many cases. But it's not for everyone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Remember this - what you find beautiful and what someone else finds beautiful may very well be two different things.

Someone very well could be looking at a photo of you op or watching you stand in line at the market and think " that lady is beautiful and I'm depressed because I will never look like that "

The bottom line is - don't let these little things get you down or depressed. Its a well known fact that companies will use scantily clad young women as click bait. It doesn't mean that you are not beautiful. It doesn't mean that others don't find you beautiful.

I'm sure there's people in this world that would rather see you on the cover of magazine or as a model in a fitness article. To each is own.

Just try not to take these things so personally. Its click bait and nothing more. While we may never look like the ladies in the articles, it doesn't mean we are not also beautiful.
  • CoachBarb_RS
    CoachBarb_RS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a motivational Lifestyle Coach. I do presentations, newsletters, etc. and it is so hard to find an image with a healthy average or even heavy weight person who is doing something healthy. It drives me crazy. I want to tell people forget what you look like in the mirror - what are you doing with your life? You can be heavy and healthy. It's not what you weigh, it's the actions you take. Eat your f/v, exercise, manage stress and get good sleep and the rest will take care of itself.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I think the takeaway message here is that people need to stop comparing themselves to others. Just be the best you can be, within yourself. Do the best you can today and then tomorrow, do it again. That's all any of us can do. Those people at the gym who are intimidating to you are just trying to be the best they can be. Just as you are. Different points in the journey, that's all.

And thanks for the compliment on my picture. :smile:

@HappyCampr1 You are so right and today I am that person who no longer compares myself to others. The gym incidents happened at a time I had a bad hip and was walking with a cane. I'd been telling doctors for years that what was wrong with my hip was more than arthritis but of course, I knew nothing since I didn't have a degree that said I knew what I was talking about. I've had a hip replacement since and now can walk normally. I still don't go to the gym because I have discovered anything I can do at a gym can be done at home at a much cheaper price...free! You are quite an inspiration to people like me and I have to admit, I never once considered anyone else at the gym was towards the end of a journey like mine.

Thank you for giving me a different perspective to consider as we all continue to do what we do to be our very best.
  • SmurfBunny1027
    SmurfBunny1027 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're saying, and I understand the opinions of those who are arguing with you as well. It's all advertising... just don't look at it if it bothers you. You have the ability, through settings and by unsubscribing to the articles, to use the site how it works for you, so do so. You can use this site to be successful, and you are in the right place.

I wanted to add, though, that I think a better article for you to use as an example would be the blog post from February 19th about "7 Tips to Conquer a Weight-Loss Plateau with MyFitnessPal."

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/7-tips-to-conquer-a-weight-loss-plateau-with-myfitnesspal/

SHE is on a WEIGHT-LOSS PLATEAU?!?!?! How much more could she possibly want/need to lose?!?

Pulease...

On an article explaining how to get killer abs, I expect to see a model with rockin abs... On an article about getting a stronger back, I expect to see an awesome back... On an article about breaking through a plateau, I expect to see someone who needs to lose a bit more...

That's fair.
  • BestWishesForYou
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Omg thank you, Wysewoman53 . After some of these comments, I felt so low and that MFP had no tolerance for someone like me, or for anyone who feels as I do. I'm just two months into this and am easily daunted/ intimidated. I came to the forums because I need help, motivation, and advice. "...You will fail" was a h*ll of a thing to see.

Kindness goes a long way in helping people, whether agreeing with an opinion or gently steering someone to another way of thinking. Also with technical info. :-)

Thank you HappyCampr1 , ninerbuff , thorsmom01 , lorrPB and CoachBarb_RS for your insight. Also Amclain93 , GuitarJerry , Hearts_2015 . Also smurfbunny1027 and vinegar_husbands.
    Arditarose , thank you for the podcast.

(Smurfbunny, your link is one of the article photos that blew my mind.)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    MFP is owned by under armour... which is a company that sells athletic gear... of course all their models are healthy.
  • zoeysasha37
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Arbeej wrote: »
    Omg thank you, Wysewoman53 . After some of these comments, I felt so low and that MFP had no tolerance for someone like me, or for anyone who feels as I do. I'm just two months into this and am easily daunted/ intimidated. I came to the forums because I need help, motivation, and advice. "...You will fail" was a h*ll of a thing to see.

Kindness goes a long way in helping people, whether agreeing with an opinion or gently steering someone to another way of thinking. Also with technical info. :-)

Thank you HappyCampr1 , ninerbuff , thorsmom01 , lorrPB and CoachBarb_RS for your insight. Also Amclain93 , GuitarJerry , Hearts_2015 . Also smurfbunny1027 and vinegar_husbands.
    Arditarose , thank you for the podcast.

I also wanted to add, fwiw- the mfp blog is pretty much useless to anyone who is really knowledgeable. It's full if myths and woo like the diet magazines. Absolute click bait. So you won't miss a thing if you unsubscribe to it! Some of the stuff is laughable in it. So don't feel like your going to miss something by unsubscribing to it. ( I'm not saying 100% of it is false but there's enough inaccuracies in it to make it worthless to me personally) mfp is a business ( under armour) so like any business, they want clicks !

I thought about this thread last night before going to bed . it's 100% true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because you may not feel beautiful right now, doesn't mean others don't see you as beautiful. I'd be willing to bet that there's men that would rather look at you then at the photoshoped models in the articles.

I'm sure we have all compared ourselves to models and celebrities in the past at some point. Its an unachievable goal anyway even if someone did want to look like that. These ladies pictures are usually filtered and photoshopped anyway. In real life, they look much different then the pictures. So comparing ourselves to models is never a good idea. I know it's hard not to compare sometimes but its for our own good.

Edited for spelling
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Wait do we actually believe that UA is song up photo shoots for each and every blog post? Has no one ever heard of stock photos?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,536 Member
    Options
    You can be heavy and healthy.
    I'd be weary about endorsing a statement like that. You can be heavy and "happy", but healthy..................not so much. Weight is still the number 1 risk factor for health assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• zoeysasha37
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Wait do we actually believe that UA is song up photo shoots for each and every blog post? Has no one ever heard of stock photos?

they aren't going to pay for a full photoshoot for each email or blog post and probably use mostly stock pictures. But that doesn't change the fact that those pictures are usually photoshopped and edited and filtered. My point is- comparing ourselves to that is useless. Anyone can look perfect when someone is enhancing the picture. With this technology, they could make carrot top look like Cindy Crawford. So comparing ourselves to these images does no good.
    While I'm sure some of these models are naturally beautiful, that doesn't mean that everyone will find that attractive. So comparing ourselves is useless. What's beautiful to one person may not be so beautiful to others.
  • BestWishesForYou
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great points, all. One thought, though, about one discussion above: yes, you can be "heavy" and fit. Heavy is not synonymous with fat, just as thin is not synonymous with fit.

Height, body type, muscle tone are all factors regardless of weight.

That's one of the variations among fit bodies that I would like to see in photos. Also different ages, etc.

But many of you are right – – these are probably stock photos, chosen from whatever is available.

Thorsmom01 , thanks for the heads up about misinfo in the fitness articles.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I bet we here have put more thought into these photos then under armour even does ! They likely just pick the quickest photo they can find that fits the article best. Like @auddii pointed out, most are likely just picked from stock and thrown into the article. Under armour is a big business and like all big business, they are out to sell their products.
    We can't knock them for it because they aren't the only business out to get clicks . but we can realize that women don't always have to fit that mold to be beautiful. Learning to be the best versions of ourselves and not compare ourselves to other women is going to have a much better outcome.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think it contributes toward unrealistic ideas and goals and causes many of the problems we have in society today. I wish it would stop. Why have pictures at all? Just let the content of the articles sell the idea, and then each person that reads it puts their own interpretation on health. The pictures are non-sense. Many of those models do not run or exercise. They are just skinny 20-somethings with good genetics. It's lame to put pictures like that in the blog posts that are supposed to be about health and helping people on their journey towards making themselves more healthy.

I've never seen a photo in a MFP blog, or email, that shows unrealistic goals. Only realistic ones.

Whoopy for you. My opinion is that you are wrong. So there.

Can you supply an example of an unrealistic goal that has been featured?
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options

SHE is on a WEIGHT-LOSS PLATEAU?!?!?! How much more could she possibly want/need to lose?!?

Pulease...

On an article explaining how to get killer abs, I expect to see a model with rockin abs... On an article about getting a stronger back, I expect to see an awesome back... On an article about breaking through a plateau, I expect to see someone who needs to lose a bit more...

That's fair.

I'm probably smaller in frame than this person, but I still have weight to lose. You're entitled to your opinion, but for me, I think that's a realistic photo to choose.

There is nothing in that image that tells you her bodyfat %, or that she "doesn't have much to lose". You can't see her stomach, thighs, arms. You know she's maybe "average" to "slim" but you can't see much beyond collarbone, and that can simply be genetics.

Your weightloss goals and body goals are your own; the closer you get to your GW, the harder it is to get those last few pounds. To me, seeing someone who doesn't have visible "extra weight" is more motivating than someone who is much larger because I remember the weight coming off much faster when I first started off.

I don't know, I guess I'm disappointed by a lot of the comments here deriding the smaller bodytypes because they aren't as "average". Is this what I'm going to start getting when I get to my ideal size and physique through healthy changes? I'm just going to get "eat a burger" and "how much more do you need to lose?! GAWD" and "you're already skinny enough!" and "how much more do you think you have to lose? Ugh, you don't know what it's like to plateau for real".

Forget that. You don't have to tear down someone else's body to raise a complaint about advertising. That's a real person. All of these models are real people, and they probably work intensely hard to monitor their calories and activity because their body is their product.

Everyone here is aspiring towards a goal and nobody deserves to be derided for their size or aspirations. Period.