Doing too much? Fatigue and hungry

Options
Hi, so I'm new here. I'm 36, female, and want to lose 30lbs at 5ft7. I'm active all week. Exercise 4 times per week, eat healthy, lots of greens, lean protein, some fruits etc, holistic applications etc. I love feeling good, who doesn't. I get 6-8 hrs sleep each night.
I was busy all week with errands, work, and my workouts which are walking/hiking for maybe an hour or doing sit-ups, push-ups, jumping rope etc nothing too crazy...I may clean my house for 3-5 hours and call that my exercise for the day... So for years I find that I will have a busy week then feel blah and fatigued come Saturday. It's like I need to lie on the couch all day. I'm wondering if it's standard since I'm almost 37 years old and operate like superwoman throughout the week or if it could be some other reason. Thoughts? I believe my iron is fine from a test last year. Oh and I'm more hungry on these tired Saturday's...I've already had a bigger breakfast than I would normally.

Replies

• phyllisdi711
    phyllisdi711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! I'll be 39 in a few months and I always wonder how people have all the energy I can't seem to find.
    I actually mentioned it to my dr and hormones can play a role in energy. So pay attention to the times you feel it most.

You may need a boost in protein or added carbs to get your energy up certain times of the month That's what I plan on trying
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    While you provided a lot of information, we still can't really help until we know how many calories you are taking in. We would also need to know your current weight.

However, I'd say to plug your numbers into this calculator.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Make sure you are not eating under your BMR. It sounds like you are very active, and my first guess would be that you are under-eating.

Edited to say that the BMR number might not be set in stone, but I wouldn't eat too far under it, as you don't have much weight to lose
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I'm eating 1500 calories and am 30 pounds out of the healthy for me range in weight.
    It's frustrating. Hormones could be a factor like one of you mentioned. I am getting my monthly soon but other times I'm not expecting it. I'm getting the guidelines for cars, fats, protein that this site recommends as well .. guess I just have to baby myself more, which I don't like to do. On the couch today. Blah
    Thanks for your comments about this.
  • Buildingit3157
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In the same boat! I'll be 39 in a few months and I always wonder how people have all the energy I can't seem to find.
    I actually mentioned it to my dr and hormones can play a role in energy. So pay attention to the times you feel it most.

You may need a boost in protein or added carbs to get your energy up certain times of the month That's what I plan on trying

Good idea, I might have to try that certain times of the month too... It's like I have a busy hangover today. Headache and all.. I drink loads of water.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its ok to feel exhausted at the end of the week, i'm always sluggish on saturday after working all week. i make saturday morning my rest and relax, enjoy my coffee, and my "me" time, and i enjoy it all without guilt because i worked hard all week.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    I always get super sapped of energy when it comes to my cycle. Usually day 2, I'm dead to the world. It could definitely be a factor.

Also, with how very busy you are, like Sonya just posted above, it could just be your body giving you the rest you deserve. 1500 doesn't sound too low (as long as you are eating back those exercise calories around 50-75%). You could just be a well-deserved tired.

It's the same reason that a lot of people get sick on vacation, even when they just stay home. Your body finally gets a chance to rest, and it lets you feel all the pains. :smiley:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Is OP eating back exercise calories? If not, the answers right there. Too much of a deficit.
  • Buildingit3157
    edited March 2016
    Options
    While you provided a lot of information, we still can't really help until we know how many calories you are taking in. We would also need to know your current weight.

Make sure you are not eating under your BMR. It sounds like you are very active, and my first guess would be that you are under-eating.

Edited to say that the BMR number might not be set in stone, but I wouldn't eat too far under it, as you don't have much weight to lose

Thank you for this calculator. I just checked it out.. so I'm a bit muscular, wide bone frame. It said laying in bed all day I would burn 1600and change.. I've been eating 1500 and probably 1800 on the days I exercise for an hour. The calculator said I need 2200 intake for my caloric needs..and with my bmr working anyway.. I don't think I'm depriving myself on any level. Maybe I just need to rest more often. Seems like in the past, I would really take control of my eating and exercise and then always get sick...like I'm depleting my immune system...but I'm good to myself with quality food. I don't understand.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    its ok to feel exhausted at the end of the week, i'm always sluggish on saturday after working all week. i make saturday morning my rest and relax, enjoy my coffee, and my "me" time, and i enjoy it all without guilt because i worked hard all week.

Right, good for you...maybe that's it .
  • samanthachen
    Options

Thank you for this calculator. I just checked it out.. so I'm a bit muscular, wide bone frame. It said laying in bed all day I would burn 1600and change.. I've been eating 1500 and probably 1800 on the days I exercise for an hour. The calculator said I need 2200 intake for my caloric needs..and with my bmr working anyway.. I don't think I'm depriving myself on any level. Maybe I just need to rest more often. Seems like in the past, I would really take control of my eating and exercise and then always get sick...like I'm depleting my immune system...but I'm good to myself with quality food. I don't understand.

Even with quality, you need quantity. 2200 sounds like your total daily energy expenditure. Take 500 away from that for a 1lb loss/week or 250 for 0.5lb loss/week. To lose 1 lb/week, you could be eating 1700 calories each day (however, I'm not sure if that 2200 included your exercise or not. If it did, you wouldn't eat back those calories.)

While it is an estimate based on numbers you gave, it is still ok to go off of. Give a new number a while to get used to. I've heard 6 weeks, but I am not an expert by any definition.
  • Springfield1970
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you're underestimating your needs.

Why not go for a 300 cal per day deficit for a while?

Weigh yourself every day and average out every 7. If you're still losing a pound a week then you've got it.

Red flags went off when I read you get ill when you diet and exercise. You're overdoing it that's all.

I'm afraid you're going to need to slow down the weight loss to get your energy and health at a good level.

Re estimate your needs for every 5 pounds you lose.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    I think you're underestimating your needs.

Why not go for a 300 cal per day deficit for a while?

Weigh yourself every day and average out every 7. If you're still losing a pound a week then you've got it.

Red flags went off when I read you get ill when you diet and exercise. You're overdoing it that's all.

I'm afraid you're going to need to slow down the weight loss to get your energy and health at a good level.

Re estimate your needs for every 5 pounds you lose.

I have been sitting here thinking about it and after doing the bmr calculator and finding out what my personal caloric needs are plus reviewing my past experience, you're right, I'm going to stop overdoing it and give myself a less strict intake. That's the only way to happily maintain this venture. Thanks for the thoughtful insight.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options

Even with quality, you need quantity. 2200 sounds like your total daily energy expenditure. Take 500 away from that for a 1lb loss/week or 250 for 0.5lb loss/week. To lose 1 lb/week, you could be eating 1700 calories each day (however, I'm not sure if that 2200 included your exercise or not. If it did, you wouldn't eat back those calories.)

While it is an estimate based on numbers you gave, it is still ok to go off of. Give a new number a while to get used to. I've heard 6 weeks, but I am not an expert by any definition.

Yes, it was excluding exercise. Prob close to 3000 with exercise. I'm overdoing it and under eating. I'm going to be less strict with my intake. You're right. Thanks for your insight and attention.:)
  • Buildingit3157
    Options

It's definitely more tough with age!! You are right! 37 next week and wow Some days I feel it.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Glad you reassessed this. I'm 45 and have more energy than anyone I know. I haven't always been like this until I counted calories as I was either starving or binging or doing some crazy all you can eat in an hour shizzle, or low carb. Don't let age or having children hold you back. Lots of carbs help here!

I cut at a quarter of a pound a week these days. I don't want any injuries, or to lose any hard gained muscle. I definitely don't want to feel tired, as I have a business to run and I'm a single parent.
    Thanks to my food training I never go more than 2/3 pounds over my goal weight anyway.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It's definitely more tough with age!! You are right! 37 next week and wow Some days I feel it.

At 43, I have more energy than I have had in years. I am stronger, more active, and eat more calories while losing weight than I ever thought I could. I agree that you should go easier on yourself as far as the deficit is concerned. The time will pass regardless, how do you want to spend it?
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    I want more energy. I'll be honest , some days I can't even fall asleep I'm so naturally energized but other days I plummet. People think I look 30 ish but I feel older for sure. I will have a photo on here soon. New phone.. good luck to you and all that great energy stuff! Jealous
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    Glad you reassessed this. I'm 45 and have more energy than anyone I know. I haven't always been like this until I counted calories as I was either starving or binging or doing some crazy all you can eat in an hour shizzle, or low carb. Don't let age or having children hold you back. Lots of carbs help here!

I cut at a quarter of a pound a week these days. I don't want any injuries, or to lose any hard gained muscle. I definitely don't want to feel tired, as I have a business to run and I'm a single parent.
    Thanks to my food training I never go more than 2/3 pounds over my goal weight anyway.

These are great points..same here with work and a child. I don't do well with deprivation and I think slow and steady wins the race. I edited goal time and am giving a loving allowance of calories. I know I will work for it, but yes have to feed the muscle too. I've got a lot luckily. Thanks for bringing all this to light for me. I spent the day on the couch because of my superwoman week . Time for some tlc and regrouping for next week. I'm still getting my profile ready for use but I'd love to stay in touch. You can add me if you care to, I don't know how from mobile version.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP and Phyll,

I'm in your range (age, height, wt loss goal), except I'm a guy. My sleep is the same, avg 6 hr a day. However, I feel very energetic and could play sport for hours. Currently 10hrs/week. Could play more if my schedule allows. I do errands and some home chores almost like my wife. (Btw, my wife sounds like you -- always tired and no energy!).

I eat 1300-1500 cal, low carbs, lean meat, mostly fish, regardless of sport days. I think a cup of coffee in the morning helps, plus a handful of vitamins (D, glucosamine, fish oil, calcium, potassium, magnesium)! Give them a try.