High Fat Macro

Options
Squirrel698
Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Often when I eat a lot of healthy fats, such as nuts, avocado and goat cheese my fat can end up being about 40% of what I eat or even above. I'm not sure if that's ideal or not.

My dairy is open.

I'm a vegetarian, so a lot of protein sources have fat in them. I don't eat fast food or fried foods or anything like that. I might have a pastry or something like that on my 'cheat' day, but that's only once a week.

I've been losing weight fairly steadily. Since January 2nd, I've lost 25 lbs. I hope to lose another ten more or so before maintenance. I have found that more fat in my diet keeps me fuller longer.

My question is, should I be worried about this high-fat trend. I'm worried now that I'm closer to my goal my weight loss might prove difficult, and I don't want to make it worse.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So long as your fat choices tend to be healthy ones, no issue. Human diets vary a lot as to macro percentages, and some very healthy diets tend to be higher than the standard MFP macros in fat (some of the stats I've seen for the traditional Med diet, for example), while others are lower (traditional Japanese diet). So I tend to think overall nutrition matters much more than macro percentage and beyond trying to get protein to a level most beneficial to avoid muscle loss when losing weight, I don't worry much about it.

The newest US dietary guidelines have removed the limit for overall fat, I think, and instead focus on avoiding trans fats and keeping sat fat below a particular level (which shouldn't be an issue for a vegetarian, I'd think).

For weight loss macros don't matter except to the extent they affect satiety/energy and make it harder or easier to keep to a particular calorie target.
  • Squirrel698
    Options
    Excellent, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your feedback
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If doing Keto, 60% fat would be the MINIMUM. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    40% is not high fat, in my opinion high fat starts at around 55%. (I ate around 45-50% during most of my loss and it was just right for me. I too chose naturally fat protein sources.) As long as the fat comes from healthy sources (real food), your diet is varied, as in containing lots of different food from every food group (vegetarian alternatives for you), and you feel fine, and your progress is running according to plan, there's no need to change anything. Listen to the cat ;)
  • Squirrel698
    Options
    The cat does seem very knowledgeable for a cat. :)

Thank you as well. It's nice to see that it works for someone else as well. I often find myself eating fruit or something just to even out my macros and wondering why I'm bothering.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There are some folks here that eat 60-70% fat, but they compensate by lowering their carbs.

Eating fat doesn't make you fat, excess calories do.