Increasing calorie intake

Hello everyone, I'd like to ask for an advice about increasing the calorie intake to maintenance level. I'm 22, 5'7, 150-155 lbs, working out (usually) 6 days a week, between 1 to 3 hours, (3x strength training + 5x cardio/HIIT) currently I am eating around 1700 calories but I often feel fatigue, cold, tired... My maintenance calories according to calculators are between 2400-2500, but I'm scared to eat that much :/ But I told myself I'll give it a go and increase the calories slightly... how should I add on, would 50calories every week be alright?

(I'm really scared of any weight gain... :|)

thank youu!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    I would go for 100 cals per week get to your maintenance calories. Keep in mind the number you have been given is just an estimate. You may need a little more or a little less. Just keep adding until your weight stabilises.

You don't say if you have been eatiing back your calories. If you haven't you may find it beneficial to do so. The fatigue, cold and tiredness are indicators of not eating enough to support your daily activity.
    If you are consistent in your exercise work out your TDEE and use that as your goal. Fitnessfrog.com have a good calculator.
    MFP's neat method does it include your exercise that is why the TDEE numbers are higher than the NEAT cals MFP will give you.

You may put on a little weight as you will be retaining more water, and more waste. Don't worry, it is unlikely to be fat, especially if you keep your eye on the scale as you add calories.

Cheers, h.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    If I were you I'd up to 1900 right away, and then add 100 each week from there.
  • devilinsoul
    devilinsoul Posts: 105 Member
    Sorry I didn't mention it but no, I don't eat back the calories I spent for exercise.

I started my fitness journey 2 years ago, dropped from US size 12 to 2-4, (EU 42 --> 34/36) and now I would lile to maintain and tone up a bit.
    Thanks for the advice!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I would just go for it and know I'd gain a few pounds. If you don't want to risk it for the biscuit, up your calories 100 per week until you're not losing weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You're tall and definitely can eat far more than you do...up them a few hundred right away and then keep adjusting cals upwards. It takes a little time to figure out true maintenance cals, it took me a few months!

To give you an idea, I'm only 5ft 2" and maintain on around 2200 cals. I'm active too.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Sorry I didn't mention it but no, I don't eat back the calories I spent for exercise.

I started my fitness journey 2 years ago, dropped from US size 12 to 2-4, (EU 42 --> 34/36) and now I would lile to maintain and tone up a bit.
    Thanks for the advice!

To maintain, you're going to have to eat back your exercise calories - most of them, anyway. Like others have said, increase your daily calorie intake by 100 each week. As you get closer to your maintenance range, you'll see the scale stop moving.

If your new fitness goals are to "tone up," which I assume is build muscle, consider less cardio and more strength training.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Thats way too low. Im 5 feet and eat over 2000 calories a day, with 2 hours of cardio.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    Thats way too low. Im 5 feet and eat over 2000 calories a day, with 2 hours of cardio.

What is "too low"? Her maintenance calories? Her deficit?

I'm 5'4" and maintain on 1800. Not everyone does over 2 hours of cardio per day.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Just try it. If you feel that badly at 1700, you probably actually need all those extra calories. I eat at maintenance, and as someone who spent most of her life sticking to 1200-calorie diets, I'd never have believed I could eat 2000 calories a day and maintain my weight. But never have I been happier with my body and fitness level.
  • devilinsoul
    I'll give it a try thanks... Today I've been feeling fatigued since noon and I noticed during HIIT training sessions that my performance used to be better (or at least that's what I think, maybe it did not decrease but this overall tiredness and fatigue makes me feel that way...) Anyway, I have to do something about it as I am a group fitness instructor and I need to give in all I've got... But for instance, tomorrow I'm planning to do my strength training in the morning and teach my class in the evening (will be 2 hours together) + a 3k walk, and I logged in my calories in advance and it's 1620 so far... (and it even includes a piece of dark chocolate :D )
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Definitely up the calories some. I know it's hard to believe you can eat a lot more, but I really think you can. I'm 5'7" as well, but 49 yo and don't exercise nearly as much and I found I continued to lose under about 2100-2200 calories a day. I'm also lighter than you as I kept losing because I couldn't believe my maintenance calories could be so high. I'm currently trying to gain a little weight back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,789 Member
    Yes, increase - you're having many symptoms of under-fueling.

Another data point from someone else's life: I'm eating 1700, eating back all my exercise calories on top of that (200-500 of them most days), and still seem to be losing verrrryy sloooowly . . . at 2" shorter, 30lbs lighter, and 38 years older. You have room to increase without gaining, and you'll feel better for doing so.

I liked that suggestion of going to 1900, monitoring, then going up by 100 daily (maybe every week or two) until your weight stabilizes. You might see some additional water weight temporarily from going to 1900, but stay the course for a week or two and see how it goes before making quick changes.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm 5'7" 130lbs and maintain at 1750 without exercise.
    I eat all my exercise cals back. Running fast=600 cph fast cycling 500 cph etc.

Please remember that when you start eating more your weight may go up from accumulated food and water and glycogen in system, it's NOT fat. Don't freak out!

It also strikes me that you aren't incorporating rest into your regime, look up periodisation method for training. All athletes have quiet weeks, and rest days.
  • devilinsoul
    okay guys so I went to 1900-2000 and i feel huge... I think it's water retention (and i hope so) but it really feels.. disturbing :| I'm scared to step on the scale but I'll give it some more time and I'll see
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,789 Member
    okay guys so I went to 1900-2000 and i feel huge... I think it's water retention (and i hope so) but it really feels.. disturbing :| I'm scared to step on the scale but I'll give it some more time and I'll see

It's water weight. (Plus maybe a little psychological impact, given that increasing was a scary thing to contemplate? Remember: Unless you ate roughly 3500 calories over maintenance, any extra pound you see on the scale is not a fat pound. Breeeeeeathe!)

You're gonna do fine.