Is it harder to loose weight on a Gluten free diet compared to a regular diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me it is easier. When I switched my diet, I went to a whole foods diet, except for my 1 piece of Udis bread a day.

I gain weight fast if I get my head turned by glutino pretzels. It's probably the salt and the flours. But they are soooo good. I just try not to buy them.

On the bright side, because I have a pain response, I have no desire to have treats like brownies and Girl Scout cookies. And I keep the gf ones out of the house.
  • Diane4242
    Diane4242 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My gluten free life came about because I have an autoimmune response to gluten. Unfortunately this autoimmune problem is causing me to lose my hair, thyroid problems of course and other skin issues. Keeping off gluten has slowed the hair loss, thyroid medicine is helping and RX creams are helping the skin issues. When I eat gluten (and sometimes do... lemon tarts are my downfall) I have a stomach uproar that lasts for several days. Actually it's easy to keep eating items without gluten once you get used to it. Now trying to get in better shape by exercising more and counting calories...My Fitness Pal is a wonderful help keeping the calories under control. Another benefit of this site it syncs with several of the better fitness trackers. Just bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR wrist tracker....highly recommend it!
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I found out last year that I had problems with gluten. I read a lot about all the physical problems it causes and was actually told by my doctor, just before I found out, that my thyroid and my liver were a bit off. By reading many blogs and articles I learned that my liver was probably totally glutened so I decided to clean my body (drinking lots of water, eating fresh ginger etc. etc.) After about 3 months I slowly introduced gluten into my life again and so far Im doing well. Furthermore, losing weight doesnt seem to be a problem, so my thyroid is fine. I do a lot of walking since I know that's great for the metabolism. Furthermore, your sister is not you and although you might have a lot in common, your body will respond in a different way than hers to food, dieting and exercising. So the only advice I can give you is: be patient, don't compare yourself to nobody and be proud of all the pounds you lost already. Losing weight with all the wonderful people on this platform is getting to know your body better, but also looking at your personality and the world around you in a different way! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, gluten or no gluten has absolutely nothing to do with weight control...absolutely zip.
  • SassyMama70
    SassyMama70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am learning so much already. I too experience hair loss, occasional skin issues and thyroid problems. My doctor and I were desperate to find out why I had extreme joint pain in my knees, ankles and back. I could barely walk I was in such horrible pain. I also felt like a 90 year old trying to function in a body half that age. I got so many tests done. I do not have celiac but am told I could have it later in life if a major stressor would trigger it. Along with all these tests, I do know that I have dangerously low vitamin D levels and that is another ongoing issue. My doctor and I as a last resort, tried the gluten free diet and to my surprise, it was working. I have been on it ever since and this April will make 2 years GF. I feel amazing now and it keeps getting better with the more weight I loose. I was just curious if GF diet had more carbs and fats in comparison to regular diets? I struggle with GF food choices and making decent meals. Half my family needs GF and the other not.
  • SassyMama70
    Options
    Odilerubia wrote: »
    Hi there, I found out last year that I had problems with gluten. I read a lot about all the physical problems it causes and was actually told by my doctor, just before I found out, that my thyroid and my liver were a bit off. By reading many blogs and articles I learned that my liver was probably totally glutened so I decided to clean my body (drinking lots of water, eating fresh ginger etc. etc.) After about 3 months I slowly introduced gluten into my life again and so far Im doing well. Furthermore, losing weight doesnt seem to be a problem, so my thyroid is fine. I do a lot of walking since I know that's great for the metabolism. Furthermore, your sister is not you and although you might have a lot in common, your body will respond in a different way than hers to food, dieting and exercising. So the only advice I can give you is: be patient, don't compare yourself to nobody and be proud of all the pounds you lost already. Losing weight with all the wonderful people on this platform is getting to know your body better, but also looking at your personality and the world around you in a different way! Good luck!

You bring up some very good points and, I guess just out of habit and because I'm so used to EVERYONE comparing me and my twin, I automatically started to do it too. Glad you pointed that out to me. Even though we are identical, we are very different. I try and do a lot of walking now too. It is like the lightbulb finally went off in my head and am just tired of abusing my body by being a couch potato. She may have lost a little more weight than me but, she could be lower carbs or calorie intake lower than me or have a higher metabolism or even a larger start up weight than me. So many things I learned could be the reason. I am done comparing myself to her! I see where you said you drink lots of water and, I try and drink a lot of water as well so, it's been baby steps into a brand new lifestyle change again. Going GF wasn't hard at all since I've already been keeping my daughter on a GF diet since age 5. She is 18 now. Good luck to you too!
  • SassyMama70
    Options
    Diane4242 wrote: »
    My gluten free life came about because I have an autoimmune response to gluten. Unfortunately this autoimmune problem is causing me to lose my hair, thyroid problems of course and other skin issues. Keeping off gluten has slowed the hair loss, thyroid medicine is helping and RX creams are helping the skin issues. When I eat gluten (and sometimes do... lemon tarts are my downfall) I have a stomach uproar that lasts for several days. Actually it's easy to keep eating items without gluten once you get used to it. Now trying to get in better shape by exercising more and counting calories...My Fitness Pal is a wonderful help keeping the calories under control. Another benefit of this site it syncs with several of the better fitness trackers. Just bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR wrist tracker....highly recommend it!

My response to gluten is autoimmune as well as I was tested for celiac. I am a confirmed carrier of celiac and why my daughter has it. She is also a twin. One has it, the other does not. They are fraternal though. My husband wanted to get me a fit bit but, I was liking the Garmin Vivosmart wrist tracker better. I think everyone on the show the biggest looser had them and, it got me interested in them. Not sure the price but I will have to research that. My birthday is in a couple months.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check the labeling and calories carefully and weigh accurately. Gluten-free alternatives to regular bread, etc, often have more calories per the same volume as the regular kind.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    sssheets wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I am learning so much already. I too experience hair loss, occasional skin issues and thyroid problems. My doctor and I were desperate to find out why I had extreme joint pain in my knees, ankles and back. I could barely walk I was in such horrible pain. I also felt like a 90 year old trying to function in a body half that age. I got so many tests done. I do not have celiac but am told I could have it later in life if a major stressor would trigger it. Along with all these tests, I do know that I have dangerously low vitamin D levels and that is another ongoing issue. My doctor and I as a last resort, tried the gluten free diet and to my surprise, it was working. I have been on it ever since and this April will make 2 years GF. I feel amazing now and it keeps getting better with the more weight I loose. I was just curious if GF diet had more carbs and fats in comparison to regular diets? I struggle with GF food choices and making decent meals. Half my family needs GF and the other not.

As with non-GF diets, this is completely dependent on your food choices. I tend to eat roughly 40% protein / 30% carb / 30% fat, but that is because of what I choose to eat. With different choices, I could do low-carb, keto, or high carb; it's all about what you choose to eat.
  • crystalcwilson
    crystalcwilson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sssheets wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I was just curious to know what people's opinions were on gluten free diet compared to a regular diet far as loosing weight. I have an identical twin sister who started WW a month after is started using MFP. She has lost more weight than what I have and, I have 2months in compared to her one. I also excersize along with staying about 200cals less on my daily calorie goal. I have lost 15 so far. I am not complaining about this mind you, but my twin lost more and doesn't even exercise. How is this possible? That is what makes me think GF vs regular diet is the reason but, I have no clue if that is true or not.