Three months down... cravings.

Options
eep223
eep223 Posts: 624 Member
Hi guys! Well, I've made it through more than three months of steadily logging and steadily losing weight. Out of the blue during the past couple weeks, however, I've all of a sudden started craving junk food. Chips, specifically. These have been a problem for me in the past, I've been great at avoiding them the past several months, occasionally indulging a handful here or there, but not really missing them or the way they make me feel. Why is this overwhelming desire to sit down with an entire bag of potato chips or Doritos kicking in? My working theory is that I've been sweating so much in the heat and humidity, that really what I'm craving is the salt. I've been drinking electrolyte replacing beverages and having snacks of cucumbers with salt, but I wondered if anyone else had some advice or experience they can share to help keep me on track. I have the will-power, but any tips or tools ya'll could pass along to help me would be much appreciated, as well. Indulging too often in this exact craving is largely how I put the weight on, and I am NOT going back!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't keep resisting. Have a serving-size bag now of whatever you want while you can still resist having the whole bag. You could also try chip alternatives - I'm a particular fan of cracker chips. While they are a bit expensive, I think the sour cream and onion ones are almost more delicious than the real chips. xD
  • crt1128
    crt1128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I've actually had the same thing happen to me. Usually around my (TMI) period it happens, but it felt extra severe (the craving) this month. I unfortunately did give in. We had chips in the house thanks to a barbecue and my will power had run away somewhere. Anyway. I agree with the comment above (or will it be below me?) Chip alternatives. I'm a fan of pop chips. WAY less calories and you can have 22 chips in a single servince. Some other "low cal" chips you can only have like 6 or 10 and i'm like who eats just 6 chips?! The sour cream and onion ones are my favorite. But they have a variety of flavors, including new nacho triangles for those doritos cravings. I would also agree that if you're going to give into the "real" chips, skip the big bag, and go for the single serving bag you would get as a side with a sandwich. You're feeding your craving but still managing not to eat a 1200 calorie bag. you know? If you're still craving after that, just keep drinking that water, go for a walk, or find something to take your mind off it. I find when I'm preoccupied whatever cravings I have seem to evaporate. Good luck! :)
  • eep223
    Options
    I wouldn't keep resisting. Have a serving-size bag now of whatever you want while you can still resist having the whole bag. You could also try chip alternatives - I'm a particular fan of cracker chips. While they are a bit expensive, I think the sour cream and onion ones are almost more delicious than the real chips. xD

Oh believe me, I haven't completely resisted! I just can't allow myself to slip back into the habit of a "special treat" of two full-sized bags of chips a week! I need to figure out a way to curb the cravings on days that I'm not indulging, or I'm afraid I will start indulging way too much.
  • KelseyWood91
    Options
    Try making your own chips? They'll have less crap in em and you can only eat how many you make.
    http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/homemade-baked-potato-chips
  • eep223
    Options
    Try making your own chips? They'll have less crap in em and you can only eat how many you make.
    http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/homemade-baked-potato-chips

Ooo, those look really good! Thanks folks, it's good to hear I'm not the only one working on this.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you think the craving might be for salt, maybe try some nice crisp "kosher" dill pickles (or any other favorite pickle). Dills are really low calorie (though VERY high sodium). Other varieties may have a significant amount of added sugar and calorie count will vary as a result. Another good salty "fix" is anchovies (I don't like them, but tastes vary - you might.)
  • eep223
    Options
    If you think the craving might be for salt, maybe try some nice crisp "kosher" dill pickles (or any other favorite pickle). Dills are really low calorie (though VERY high sodium). Other varieties may have a significant amount of added sugar and calorie count will vary as a result. Another good salty "fix" is anchovies (I don't like them, but tastes vary - you might.)

Fabulous idea! I'll have to pick up a big jar on my way home. I know that's one thing where I won't eat the whole container all at once! Might do the trick.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is craving the iron or other nutrient in the chips. I agree with the idea of making your own. Slice them, drizzle with olive oil, and bake them.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    when I see chips here I understand it as french fries,chips to me are crisps,I would say have a small bag and be done with it!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is craving the iron or other nutrient in the chips. I agree with the idea of making your own. Slice them, drizzle with olive oil, and bake them.

My first thought, too. If you're perhaps eating too low calorie, or cutting out a bunch of things ("healthy" or "unhealthy"), you can get strange cravings. Could be a potassium thing, could be a fats thing.

The more in tune with your body you are, you'll be able to figure out what micro/macros you might be low on (and check your diary to verify) if you suddenly get weird cravings.

Personal example: I find I crave refried beans when I'm low on iron.
  • eep223
    Options
    That's really interesting! Hm, it's not potato chips (crisps) specifically that I'm craving, but I definitely do come up short on both iron and potassium somewhat regularly. That's a really good thought. I'll see what I can do to up those. This is along the lines of what I was thinking with the sodium, too.

Does anybody have tips on on ways to work more iron and potassium into my diet? I'd rather eat it than take a supplement if I can, but as I say, I do come up short quite a bit. And I eat tons of potatoes!
  • ChelseaTheRedHead
    Options
    Baby carrots have lots of potassium! Or carrots in general. 30 baby carrots have 711mg of potassium, and are something you can snack on throughout the day. That and bananas. Whenever I'm low I throw a potato in the microwave and nuke it. Just a tiny bit of sald and butter and I'm happy.
  • KSBeautyintheBuff
    KSBeautyintheBuff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first NPC bikini competition and I've been doing this for almost 3 months myself and I totally feel you. I literally have been craving carbs and almonds/cashews. I don't know what your diet looks like but if you have limited a lot of fat in your diet, like I have, your body starts to crave it. Maybe that is why you are experiencing cravings of these specific foods...?

Kristine
    http://beautyinthebuff.com
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I chop up sweet potatoes, toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven. 350 for 15 mins, flip, then 5-10 more mins. Might not have the crunch you are looking for, but have great flavor and salt. Good side dish!
  • eep223
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I bought two big lovely potatoes to bake for dinner tonight (for myself and my boyfriend) and I'm going to try to be more careful with my potassium intake from here on out. Great snack tips, folks! OH, and when I weighed myself this morning, I finally hit 15 pounds down! It's a good day!

Everyone in the U.S. have a fantastic holiday weekend!