Try Switching to Tea

Options
JennieRay74
JennieRay74 Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Coffee will make you gain weight if it has a lot of sugar in it (all lattes) or too much milk. Soy is also a bad choice because of the hormones and potential cancer risk. Try switching to green or black tea instead - I like the Attari tea line. I lost five pounds in ten days with the skinny tea. Good luck!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Drink coffee with half and half or butter or milk or soy or cream if you have concerns about sugar.
    Milk and soy add protein. The oil added to coffee is satiating. :)
  • JennieRay74
    Options
    Good tip! Although I don't think I like the sound of butter milk in my coffee. What do you think about soup or tea cleanses?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Coffee FTW!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are a waste of money and a complete scam. I can poop on my own, thankyouverymuch.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So if you put sugar in your tea it is somehow better than the sugar you put in coffee? And skinny tea is usually just a laxative, so I'll pass there too.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your goals for the day, and you enjoy it, it won't make you gain weight.

I hate green tea, blech. And I drink about 40 Oz of coffee a day with milk and Equal. I measure my milk. It fits. I'm happy.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The "detox" and "skinny" teas almost all contain natural diuretics or laxatives. They force your body to dump water or waste, but won't help with fat loss. You might see a big drop on the scale due to the fluids and poo being expelled, but it will come back once you stop the teas. Be careful with them, especially those containing senna. Senna shouldn't be used for more than 7 days.

I haven't had any problems losing while drinking lattes, mochas, or coffee with creamer. As long as you're tracking the extras and making room for them in your calorie and nutrition goals, I don't see why I need to switch.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Good tip! Although I don't think I like the sound of butter milk in my coffee. What do you think about soup or tea cleanses?

Stay away from anything with the word "cleanse".
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Also, drinking coffee or tea with added sugar and fat wont make you gain weight. Not accounting for the calories in the sugar and cream you add and therefore not maintainig a deficit will make you gain weight.

You can enjoy coffee with sugar, cream, milk, soy, or butter everyday and lose weight....as ling as you account for the calories and maintain a deficit.
  • JennieRay74
    Options
    True - sometimes I just want an indulgence that is calorie free though, particularly if it tastes sweet! The only thing I've found is tea, espresso is only 5 calories but it's pretty bitter.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Soup sounds good. Your body does not react to "cleanses" like you think.
    It is cleansing and processing all the time for us. <3
  • James12315
    James12315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Drinking black coffee with no sugar is even better.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i like coffee more than tea. i dont gain weight from drinking coffee with cream and sugar.
  • JennieRay74
    Options
    I don't put sugar in my tea - if you get a good brand you can taste the fruit and flowers and cinnamon. No need for anything else. I like coffee too though - not going to give up my daily cappuccino as long as it's with organic milk, no sugar. The best thing is to replace evening snacking with tea.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    for you tea, for me a nice glass of Cabernet.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,035 Member
    Options
    I drink tea sometimes. But I make my coffee with 2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp half and half. That is 70 calories and I manage to fit 2 cups in every day. I may limit the portion size if some things but I am not going to give up things I like nor eat/drink things I don't like.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't put sugar in my tea - if you get a good brand you can taste the fruit and flowers and cinnamon. No need for anything else. I like coffee too though - not going to give up my daily cappuccino as long as it's with organic milk, no sugar. The best thing is to replace evening snacking with tea.

Why is that best?

I drink a lot of rooibos tea in the evenings. But I also leave room in my evenings for a couple of snacks.
  • JennieRay74
    Options
    Sounds good! If I am really hungry I will do green tea and a handful of blueberries for extra antioxidants. This really works well in summertime.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Sounds good! If I am really hungry I will do green tea and a handful of blueberries for extra antioxidants. This really works well in summertime.

Work well?