Nothing works

Options
I've been dieting since January and had lapband surgery on Feb 2nd. They weighed me before the surgery and I was 234lbs, I went down to 230 since then but I weighed myself today and I'm 232. I feel like the surgery was pointless since I'm still hungry and have barely lost anything. I count my calories, I eat between 1,500 and 1,600 a day, I maintain a calorie deficeit and burn around 2,100 - 2,500 a day. I use the elliptical 3 days a week, lift weights and do yoga. I really don't understand what's wrong. I've had trouble with my weight for about 5 years now, I felt like lap band was finally what I needed and I closely watch calories and my macros now. And yet nothing. I feel like giving up. I'm so frustrated.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work done?
    Do you weigh your food?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    well , if you lost 2 pounds during the month of February, are ARE losing, thats about a half pound a week which is considered a healthy loss. Maybe you just aren't losing as fast as you want to, but you did lose 2 pounds. at this rate you will lose about 25 pounds a year which is a really healthy weight loss rate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about recovery from lapband surgery. Are you supposed to be back to that much activity at this point? Are you still on any meds that could cause water retention?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Post surgical water retention could be a factor. Have you seen the doc for a follow up? Do they need to adjust the lap band? Did you see a dietician? What calorie amount did they put you on? Most patients post-op aren't able to eat that much, so you may want to follow up with the team. There are many unknowns here, and I would suggest following up with your doc should be your first place to look for answers.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Lapband concerns should be brought up with your doctor. I know just enough about lapbands that I don't want to give any other advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What is your doctor saying?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm......macros???
    Keeping carbs below 100 grams/day should help a bunch.
  • kflower84
    kflower84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You need to go to your doctor and get a fill. I don't know how other doctor's work but my doctor had me go back often for fills. One week after surgery then 2 weeks then 3 weeks and finally every month until i ate 4oz and be satistied. I had a really great experience with my surgeon. They explain everything in detail and had to go to nutrition class. I got my surgery December 2011. Started at 250lbs and went down to 165lbs. The lapband works but is a slow process. I am starting again because i gained 40 pounds after delivery. Good luck with your journey and DON'T GIVE UP.!!!! Anyone is welcome to add me if you like.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm......macros???
    Keeping carbs below 100 grams/day should help a bunch.

macros have nothing to do with weight loss...they are for health and fitness.

And lets say that OP took carbs below 100g...then upped protein to 200 grams and it put them over maintenance then what????

calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    youve had WLS.

talk to your doctor.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Many doctors that do this type of surgery recommend a low carb diet.
    SOME PEOPLE find that macros do matter. It's not the same for everyone and those that do not find there is a difference for them are very quick to dismiss it.
    I personally think the only way to know how something works for you is to try it for a while. You'll get YOUR answer that way. not just another opinion.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    SOME PEOPLE find that macros do matter. It's not the same for everyone and those that do not find there is a difference for them are very quick to dismiss it.
    I personally think the only way to know how something works for you is to try it for a while. You'll get YOUR answer that way. not just another opinion.

From a weight loss standpoint, macros don't matter. For nutrition, macros DO matter because the body needs a mix of protein, carbs and fat to work efficiently.

The OP should talk to their doctor, to be honest. Not many people here have experience with WLS.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP, are you weighing your food to the gram? Also how are you calculating your burns? 2500 seems kind of high...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your solids and measure your liquids?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

From a weight loss standpoint, macros don't matter. For nutrition, macros DO matter because the body needs a mix of protein, carbs and fat to work efficiently.

The OP should talk to their doctor, to be honest. Not many people here have experience with WLS.

Being that OP is a recent Lap Band patient, I assume they are seeing their doctor regularly and thought they would look for quick tips from a community of others also trying to lose weight, just like everyone else here is doing.
    SOME PEOPLE will find eating a certain macro breakdown will help to control things like hunger, (like OP is having issues with) and therefore find they are more successful eating one way rather than another. It's pretty clear this is unfamiliar to you and therefore you find it too odd to be a real thing, but it most certainly is. Not having it be your personal experience doesn't make it all together untrue.
    So, since we know that a person needs to achieve control of their hunger and eating in order to be successful in weight loss, from a weight loss standpoint, macros CAN matter for SOME PEOPLE.
    Congratulations on not being one of them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    @ladystardvst - it's been six weeks since you posted - I'd love an update.