Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Strong first post. *eyeroll*
  • Lovoas
    Lovoas Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank soda/pop since new years eve. I can't say I miss it. You can do it. You got this! :)
  • willybilly30
    willybilly30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I need to give up soda
    i drink way too many dr.thunders i can't even tell you how many
    Don't suggest diet coke it tastes terrible to me
    i been forgetting to put it in my food diary but its alot
    i bought some carbonated water along time ago its been in my fridge forever
    some one here suggested replacing ot with coffee i could do that and leave out the cocoa i put in it
    but, it is caffiene
    I do not like water..will i learn to love it if i drink it?

You might.

Try the carbonated and try adding a little lemon or lime.

I also make and chill herbal teas as an alternative to water (and iced coffee, but I love coffee way too much as mentioned above). ;-)

I love water so long as it is nice and cold.

I probally should cut down slowly and drink more water
    i got some carbonated i can drink that

• firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I crave soda when I'm thirsty and when I'm stressed. After 8 months, I'm finally learning that I need water when I want soda. I guess for too long I only drank soda for thirst and got my signals confused.

When I'm terrifically stressed, like working through a bad headache on hour 15 of the day, that's my emotional addiction. Since that level of stress doesn't happen every day, I just let it be.

I cannot stand any of the sugar substitutes (not even stevia, and yes I can always tell, even if it was something I never thought would have it in it). I don't do well with absolute prohibitions, so I keep the tiny 7.5 oz 90 calorie cans around and drink a could a week. That's down from 2-3 20 oz bottles every day and climbing last July. The biggest thing for me was just drinking water, and especially getting a filter water bottle for work because the water tastes bad there.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    geemariep wrote: »
    amclain93 wrote: »
    You have to phase it out. It's literally an addiction, so you will experience fatigue, headaches, and cravings when you try to quit it cold turkey. Diet soda is just as terrible for you as regular soda, albeit in different ways, so dont switch one out for the other because its just switching one addiction for another. Take your current daily intake of soda and downsize. If you drink two bottles (from the 6 packs) a day, start drinking one bottle, then one can, then one little can (the four ouncers) until you don't need it anymore. If you need the bubbles there are lots of carbonated water options, that can also come sugar free, zero calorie, etc.

I thought I was addicted to Diet Coke. Turns out I just really like it. I haven't touched any soda in over a week and it hasn't bothered me at all. When I did Weight Watchers I still drank Diet Coke because it was 0 points. If I'm not mistaken it's 0 calories, but for me it's more of a health thing now and I have heard of people dropping 10 lbs JUST by eliminating soda, diet or not.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain how dropping a zero-calorie drink (diet soda) from your diet can create a 10 pound weight loss. Zero calories is zero calories - you don't gain weight (or not lose weight) from zero calorie drinks in your diet. Zero calories has zero effect upon your caloric deficit. It would literally be the same as saying "I dropped ten pounds just by eliminating water from my diet!". It defies the laws of thermodynamics/energy balance.

I like diet soda, average about one can per day and have no intention of giving it up. It hasn't interfered one bit with my weight loss. There are no harmful substances in it (read the studies, there have been mountains of peer-reviewed studies done on aspartame) and I'm 100% confident that it can safely be enjoyed in moderation. I also drink about 3/4 gallon of water per day, along with iced tea, coffee, flavored waters, etc. (and even the occasional beer(s)).
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    This "diet soda anxiety" burning topic is like a perennial pathogen, popping up like bacteria on a gym shower floor.

Somebody could do a fascinating sociology study on it.