Need help. Please read

Options
Hi. So i started using this a couple days ago. I used to workout at home but stopped. I want to start again and i want to put that in my diary. I made a test to see how does that work. Can someone explain to me that? I mean, how can i input daily exercise correctly in the diary? And also when i did the test it only showed what i did and not how many callories i lost. Ive seen that others have that in their diary when they input workout, but i dont.
Thanks in advance, and i hope you understand my question.

Replies

• o7fa5rs
    o7fa5rs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about logging your exercise. figuring out exactly how many calories you burning working out is extremely hard because everyone is different. instead use an online calculator, input your age, weight, activity level and goals and itll give you an, in my experience a pretty accurate calorie intake goal....eat that much and you will meet your goal
  • robins993
    robins993 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    o7fa5rs wrote: »
    i wouldnt worry about logging your exercise. figuring out exactly how many calories you burning working out is extremely hard because everyone is different. instead use an online calculator, input your age, weight, activity level and goals and itll give you an, in my experience a pretty accurate calorie intake goal....eat that much and you will meet your goal

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Was it strength training? You need to find it under 'cardio' as well as recording your reps etc
  • robins993
    Options
    Was it strength training? You need to find it under 'cardio' as well as recording your reps etc

I dont know. I guess both. Squats. But i guess i have to do a 100squats so i can see that i lost some
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep, strength training won't have a calorie burn associated with it in MFP, only cardio. I disagree with not putting your exercise in your diary (just make sure you've got your diary set to sedentary/lightly active if you do add exercise so that you don't double up on your calories). I find it a really useful record to have all in one place. Just be aware that if you use MFP to calculate your exercise calories, it tends to be generous, so you're better off only eating back a maximum of 50% in order not to overeat. Another option is an HRM. I have a Garmin which I use for my workouts and it helps give a more accurate calorie burn than MFP or other websites can.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    robins993 wrote: »

I dont know. I guess both. Squats. But i guess i have to do a 100squats so i can see that i lost some

Eh?? I don't know what that means but what I was saying is search for the words 'strength training' in the exercise database.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I only seen calories listed on cardio exercise and not strength exercises.
  • robins993
    Options
    Ant488 wrote: »
    I only seen calories listed on cardio exercise and not strength exercises.

Yeah. I figured it later. But never mind. I dont need to know how much callories i lost during workout. To me its important that i workout.
    Thanks everyone!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    This is just the way I do it: If it's slow like traditional weight lifting, I call it Pilates or yoga. If it's fast (which I don't do), like burpees or fast bodyweight squats, etc, I'd call it calisthenics. Those are under the 'cardio' section (which bugs me, too, because they aren't cardio). There may be a weight-lifting or strength training there, too, but if I remember correctly, I felt like the calorie burn was higher than I should call mine.

It's a crapshoot, frankly, getting the right calories for some exercises ;) Err on the conservative side.
  • robins993
    Options
    This is just the way I do it: If it's slow like traditional weight lifting, I call it Pilates or yoga. If it's fast (which I don't do), like burpees or fast bodyweight squats, etc, I'd call it calisthenics. Those are under the 'cardio' section (which bugs me, too, because they aren't cardio). There may be a weight-lifting or strength training there, too, but if I remember correctly, I felt like the calorie burn was higher than I should call mine.

It's a crapshoot, frankly, getting the right calories for some exercises ;) Err on the conservative side.

Yeah. I got you. But idk where to put my exercises. For ex i do squats and crunches (for abs i think xd), leg raises etc. And some exist in the list some dont. And they dont show calorie burn. Which is rly frustrating. But it doesnt matter i guess. I'll know if its working if i see changes on my body