runners: sesamoiditis? turf toe? sesamoid stress fracture?

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Please let me know what your experience have been, if any, with these issues ...

Had a great 7-mile run yesterday and today went to do a calf extension and felt stabbing pain in the big toe - now can't flex that foot without pain. I've never had trouble in this way before. I'm researching, icing, etc. but I would love any insight in re: dx, tx, prognosis for getting back to running and any long-term prevention suggestions. Thx!

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ice, ibuprofen and go to the doctor.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    don' wanna :(
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    sorry - just really pissed about it, especially that it would happen on a rest day. I have ice on it now - sounds like a stress fx, in that the pain was intense and immediate. Denial won't likely help, I guess - or acting like a 5-yr-old.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ignoring it won't help
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks. You're right.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Definitely stop running and get treatment. Continuing to run through an injury will just lead to a worse injury due to your body compensating for the pain/injury.

Believe I know from experience!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It may be some type of strain, but with pain that's sudden, definitely see a doctor as soon as you can. Even if it starts to feel better tomorrow, you still want to be certain you're not doing any further damage if you resume running.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    It may be some type of strain, but with pain that's sudden, definitely see a doctor as soon as you can. Even if it starts to feel better tomorrow, you still want to be certain you're not doing any further damage if you resume running.

Good advice. Thank you.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I fractured a sesamoid about 15 years ago. They don't heal well on their own so go to the doc, get an X-ray and an opinion (believe me, I know the don't wanna). You'll be a lot more prepared to deal with it if you know exactly what it is. Good luck!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    thank you, @mpeters1965 - I have calmed down about it and will get an appointment this week. Do you recall by chance how long you were unable to have a normal gait while running?
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    I took several months off running because I broke that bone right in half. Right after I did it, I had an orthotic insert for a while that helped support the arch right behind the ball of my foot and even now find that shoes with a molded foot bed like Birkenstocks are more comfortable than being barefoot. . The insert kept my walking gait normal and I could run on it after a few months as long as my shoes were supportive. I'm not much of a runner anymore, more walking/swimming and find that all day on my feet will make it sing out.

If you haven't fully broken it, I think the recovery would be much easier.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thank you very much. Yeah, upon further reflection, lol, I can't imagine I actually fx'ed it because I'm walking alright now (except, see below).

To add insult to injury, I believe the easy recumbent biking I did instead on Saturday created a painful tendonitis issue in my knee. Can't win sometimes. But I'm optimistic, slightly in denial until told otherwise, and going to the doc this morning. :) Have a great day, y'all - I appreciate your guidance.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Check out dancer pads that stick to the bottom of your foot, I found mine on Amazon. My sesamoid is in pieces and my dr can't tell if it's a true break or if I was born that way. Regardless I wouldn't want surgery, so I've found ways to manage. One big help is running in shoes that have enough cushion at the ball of the foot. When it's bothering me I wear the dancer pad and it helps a bunch to take the impact off. I also do ballet and gymnastics, so being able to wear the pad inside of a dance shoe (so that the gym carpet doesn't pull it off) in those classes has been super helpful and reduced the number of days where it's super painful.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Check out dancer pads that stick to the bottom of your foot, I found mine on Amazon. My sesamoid is in pieces and my dr can't tell if it's a true break or if I was born that way. Regardless I wouldn't want surgery, so I've found ways to manage. One big help is running in shoes that have enough cushion at the ball of the foot. When it's bothering me I wear the dancer pad and it helps a bunch to take the impact off. I also do ballet and gymnastics, so being able to wear the pad inside of a dance shoe (so that the gym carpet doesn't pull it off) in those classes has been super helpful and reduced the number of days where it's super painful.

You dance ... so you rise up on your toes? Ouuuuch.
  • mpeters1965
    edited March 2016
    Options

I like this idea and had never heard of them. Thanks! I ordered them to try them out on the days when I'm going to be on my feet for long stretches.