workout routine??

Options
hello everyone!!

so today is the day i start doing weights! before i would only do cardio to lose weight. i noticed how skinny i look so i want to gain muscle.

i know i need to do weights for about an hour. But i don't know what to do for that hour. i want to focus on my gluteus muscle... so i guess ill be doing squats with dumbbells and lunges.

do i just do this for an hour or what else does everyone else do during their 1 hour workout.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

Why do you have to do something for an hour?
    Why do you want to focus on your glutes if you think you look too thin?
    If you want to gain muscle, are you OK with gaining weight?
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

Why do you have to do something for an hour?
    Why do you want to focus on your glutes if you think you look too thin?
    If you want to gain muscle, are you OK with gaining weight?

Second... you can also add deadlifts for your glute work, as Jack hinted, its not the amount of time you spend doing it, its the work you put in during that time... sometime my lifting sessions are only 30 minutes long. you need to get a solid routine, something that works for you, and focusing on you glutes is awesome but be sure your putting in the work for the rest of your body too... you dont want to be really disproportional
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    hello everyone!!

so today is the day i start doing weights! before i would only do cardio to lose weight. i noticed how skinny i look so i want to gain muscle.

i know i need to do weights for about an hour. But i don't know what to do for that hour. i want to focus on my gluteus muscle... so i guess ill be doing squats with dumbbells and lunges.

do i just do this for an hour or what else does everyone else do during their 1 hour workout.

The three programs that are constantly recommended on here are Starting Strength (a book), Stronglifts 5x5 (a website) and New Rules of LIfting for Women (a book). I have no experience with NROLFW, all I know about it is that it's a little more complicated with more variety than the other two.

I started doing Stronglifts, but frankly Mehdi (the guy behind it) is kind of annoying. I bought Starting Strength and that book is pretty much becoming my bible. Mark Rippetoe, the author of Starting Strength, also has better credentials than Mehdi does, although the programs extremely similar.

I'd suggest picking up Starting Strength. You'll be doing squats every workout, and deadlifts every other workout. That'll give you the *kitten* you are looking for :laugh:

There's nothing magical about working for an hour. When I started it would take me about 35-45 minutes to do the workouts. Now that I am at heavier weights it takes longer to warm up and I rest longer between sets, so it probably does take me about an hour to complete the workout.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    There are no rules about how long you need to do your lifting routines or what kinds of routines and there is no real targeting when gaining more definition. Lose body fat to increase muscle 'exposure', muscles hide behind body fat so if you want it to show then well... you know what you have to do.

To build additional muscle you will need to gain a bit and cut it out with strength training, you can do it for 20 minutes twice a day, 30-60 minutes once a day and get same or similar results depending on what you do. You are talking about shaping your butt well... squats, stairs/steps, lunges, donkey kicks, etc. are going to be your friend and using weights while you do it... even better! Also the book noted above, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, is great for getting started on lifting heavy and you will tone your butt using that book as well.

Bodybuilding.com has a great database for lifting and training that can help you build your own routine as well :)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do an hour, unless you want. Here is my go-to leg day circuit:

Straightleg Deadlift (works hamstrings): 80 lbs 10/12 reps depending
    Low plank with backwards leg lift (works booty): 12 leg lifts each side while holding plank position
    Walking Lunges: Holding 35lb plate, 24 lunges (12 each side)
    Squat: Holding 35lb kettlebell, 15-20 reps depending
    Backward Lunges: Holding 35lb plate, 24 lunges (12 each side)

No rest in between each exercise to keep my heart rate up, 60-90 seconds rest between sets, complete 4 sets. It takes me about 25 mins total including rest between sets and I am sweating my but off and my heart rate is elevated the whole time.

You could also hit the squat rack (which I love, too) but I really like circuit training.