Stubborn momma tummy

Options
I have lost 22 pounds since the start of the year, but my momma tummy refuses to budge. I need help.. I need toning exercises and ways to help get rid of it.. As well as my arms.. My hips and legs are the only things I've seen to have lost fat on.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The weight comes off from all over at the same time, but some places may be more noticeable than others.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, just keep doing what you're doing!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. The weight comes off from all over at the same time, but some places may be more noticeable than others.
    This is absolutely correct. Additionally, the incorporation of strength training will help prevent the loss of lean tissue while you lose fat. This in turn will leave you looking more "toned" once the fat is gone then if you do not to strength training.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    lose more fat, gain more muscle. You can't remove fat from certain areas by exercising them, you just need to keep being consistent with your training and diet. and be patient.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

^^ This. Essentially it comes down to more weight loss.

• tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do you possibly have diastasis recti? It's when your abdominal muscles haven't healed and don't close up properly, essentially giving you the dreaded mummy tummy. It's a real condition and no amount of weight loss will fix it.

Google it. There are methods for checking. I used to have a 4-finger gap (try the suggested test). If you have it, you'll have to lay off most abdominal exercises until it's healed, unless you want to make it worse. But Google will tell you all about it.

If you don't have it, then aside from losing fat all over there's not much you can do. Strengthen muscles so they look nice when you do lose the fat, but you can't pick and choose where you lose it, unfortunately.
  • Aelizabethyoung
    Aelizabethyoung Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No I have checked myself for diastasis recti and I do not have that. I guess I just need to stick to what I am doing. I am losing weight everywhere but my tummy area it seems. Another question? How much cardio do I actually need to do in a day?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    No I have checked myself for diastasis recti and I do not have that. I guess I just need to stick to what I am doing. I am losing weight everywhere but my tummy area it seems. Another question? How much cardio do I actually need to do in a day?

For heart health I believe it's 150 minutes a week (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but for weight loss the most important thing is a calorie deficit.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're in good company here. 8mo PP with #3.

Fat loss happens in the kitchen. Do as much cardio as you want for health reasons and to help expand your deficit. But without a calorie deficit your weight wont budge.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Your tummy will go eventually. Sometimes it's the last to go (sometimes it's the thighs). :)
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Can only spot reduce with surgery or heating or freezing fat (via laser/coolsculpt/lipo/liposonix/vanquish) etc.
  • Aelizabethyoung
    Aelizabethyoung Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am doing well with the diet part of the weight loss. Better eating, cutting out as much sugar as possible. I am always within my calorie goal, or calorie deficit.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Mike Matthews says you can burn stubborn fat easier with fasted training and yohimbine (which he sells): http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-lose-belly-fat/. He does not mean that you can do without calories restriction, by the way, it is just a matter of making it easier to lose belly fat.

Negative Ghostrider- the pattern is full
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm in dame boat. But they always say. Abs and a flat tummy are made in the kitchen
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Your tummy will go eventually. Sometimes it's the last to go (sometimes it's the thighs). :)

Yep! For most people you lose the weight in the reverse order you put it on. So if you started to add to your middle, that's what will go last. Most people lose in the face and extremities first then work into the mid-section. You have to just keep going...
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Mike Matthews says you can burn stubborn fat easier with fasted training and yohimbine (which he sells): http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-lose-belly-fat/. He does not mean that you can do without calories restriction, by the way, it is just a matter of making it easier to lose belly fat.

Negative Ghostrider- the pattern is full

Hey! That's my line! I use that all the time!

tomTOPgun_2072303i.jpg

I'm in dame boat. But they always say. Abs and a flat tummy are made in the kitchen

Bingo! Abs/flat tummy is through diet, NOT cardio/exercise. You lose the fat through diet and eating at a deficit, but once the fat is gone, if you want to have a nice toned bod underneath, you need to be working out to create that look. In fact, doing it now will prevent muscle loss during your calorie deficit stage and will maintain the muscle tone you currently have. Otherwise, when you are at a deficit, you will lose fat and muscle.

Cardio can burn extra calories, but its generally a side-note to the process. Cardio will give you other great heath benefits, but you'll see more changes to your body by doing a strength program of some kind.

Good luck!