Sickness and weight loss

Options
Well I got the wonderful flu this past week and lost almost 4 pounds. I know most of its water weight, and will regain it back. My question though is when? It's very frustrating thinking I could wake up and be back to the weight I was before I got sick. When I first started my weight loss journey I lost 9lbs like nothing cuz it was mostly water, but I never gained it back. I'm just wondering will it this time? Thanks

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. But if you were eating in a deficit while you were sick, you will likely not gain it all back, perhaps just a portion of it.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I would quit concerning myself with day to day and week to week fluctuations in weight. They are all but meaningless and are caused by a myriad of factors. Instead I would weigh myself daily. I would pay zero attention to the actual numbers other than to record them. After a week I would average the daily weights, again paying little attention to the numbers. After 1 month's time I would compare these weekly averages to each other. This is telling of actual fat loss. There should be a downward trend in your averages. If there is not, you are not achieving a calorie deficit and need to evaluate the accuracy of your logging and the calorie/macronutrient goals.
  • mkh858
    mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I would quit concerning myself with day to day and week to week fluctuations in weight. They are all but meaningless and are caused by a myriad of factors. Instead I would weigh myself daily. I would pay zero attention to the actual numbers other than to record them. After a week I would average the daily weights, again paying little attention to the numbers. After 1 month's time I would compare these weekly averages to each other. This is telling of actual fat loss. There should be a downward trend in your averages. If there is not, you are not achieving a calorie deficit and need to evaluate the accuracy of your logging and the calorie/macronutrient goals.

Thanks.
    I may try this. Do I weigh myself in the morning?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    mkh858 wrote: »

Thanks.

Yes, for the most consistency you should weigh in the morning right after getting out of bed and after going to the bathroom. Vismal's advice is solid, averaging over a week and comparing the averages is the way I would recommend as well. Its basically a moving average on the data to smooth out outliers and day to day fluctuations.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    mkh858 wrote: »

Thanks.

I use this technique, and it has really helped with the annoyance I used to feel at the occasional fluctuations caused by eating out or monthly water retention from my period. I use "TrendWeight.com" and it gives you a nice trend line graph which is so much more satisfying than focusing on the jagged ups and downs.

I do weigh myself in the morning, after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything. I do this just to make the conditions as constant as possible.