What should be your protein, carb and fat goals set at?

Options
enzaloccisano
enzaloccisano Posts: 34 Member
edited March 2016 in Getting Started
First off, please add me! Secondly. How do you know what ur goals should be set at? I believe mine are 50 carb, 30 protein and 20 fat.. I think lol

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First off, please add me! Secondly. How do you know what ur goals should be set at? I believe mine are 50 carb, 30 protein and 20 fat.. I think lol

Those sound like the MFP default goals for your macros. And that's a good starting point for most people. The thing about them is that the goals vary from person to person based on things like personal preference, health issues, and fitness goals. For instance, a distance runner might want more carbs for energy during their runs, whereas someone with insulin resistance might choose to go low carb and higher fat. Both are valid choices, so you can play around and see what works best for you.

I really like this thread for customizing your macro goals if you choose to: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I play around with my macro, trying to lose body fat and gain some muscle so I am trying for 40p 30c 30f. Don't get it perfect every night.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    MFP naturally sets some for you (which I'm assuming that's what those are). It depends on various factors such as your height and weight, male vs. female, fitness goals etc.. It'll also likely change as you progress on your journey. For instance, I moved my protein goal up because my fitness goals are now to incorporate some strength training to build lean muscle and lose body fat. Some people are trying out low carb diets, so they move their carb goal down. Runners would most likely move it up. Things like that :)

Adding you by the way!
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information.