Scared to go to the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only pay attention to people when they don't clean the machine off when they're done with it :)

Don't be scared! your health is worth more than what people might be thinking of you - but they're not thinking of anything but themselves - promise :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I was terrified to go to the gym when I started going a year ago. Now I'm used to seeing the same people there and they're used to seeing me. Now I actually look forward to going.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't ever feel intimidated by others when you go to the gym. Be proud that you are going and putting your health at a higher standard. So what, you'll get some looks but everyone is there for the same reason (majorily; I have ran into females who just go to walk around in tight workout clothes to get noticed). Get in a zone when you are working out and you won't even notice anyone is even there.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I remember last year, I think it was last year, I went to the gym, I had took a long absence of the gym due to a injury, I headed to the gym, I had a huge panic attack for some reason, I was scared. I slowly built up my confidence, I would say the only way is to research workout splits, go to the gym and face your fears, you will feel better for it
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As hard as the first step will be, it will be worth it. FWIW You will walk past more judgmental retards on the way to and from the gym than you will meet in there , so don't worry about the others and concentrate on doing your thing.

you'll feel a lot better about yourself the more you push outside of your comfort zone

good luck and let us know how you get on

edit for clarity
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Most people are just like you and are too worried about what others are thinking about them to notice what anyone else is doing. They are also focused on working out; sometimes I'll get in a zone and you could probably walk right up to me and wave your hand in my face before I see you. So as long as you aren't doing anything ridiculous like throwing weights in the air and making loud whooping noises, no one will notice or care what you're doing.

Also; everyone I've ever spoken to at a gym has always been really cool. We're all there for the same reason so automatically have something in common to talk about.

Good luck.
  • MTurnbull406
    MTurnbull406 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well I know my way around a gym, I've just gained weight from a breakup and rolling my truck and being sedentary for 3 months, so I'm real weak and bigger than usual. Luckily my old high school (my brother goes there now) is in a super tiny town (i graduated with 5) so they are letting me use the gym and weight room in the mornings, so while I lose some weight and gain some strength back I can do it in private or with a couple people I know. My brother comes in and spots me :)

I plan to get the 'big gym' here soon, but hopefully this will help me feel better about going, and hey I'm still working out, that's the goal right??

Thank you for all the kind words!
    They are all very true!
  • DeLaFat
    DeLaFat Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    -