Options
2»

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Depends on how much you ate.

If you sat around and ate bacon and pancakes and coffeecake and croissants for breakfast, then pizza and cheesecake and a loaf of garlic bread and a gallon of ice cream and a six-pack of coke, then a costco-sized bag of chips and a pack of fun-size snickers, and a pack of tortillas, and then a pound of pasta with butter and cheese, yes, you might be able to.

I'll take one of everything you just mentioned. Just hold the bacon and diet coke Please! lol
    The sad part is that this sounds like a daily menu for the old me :confounded:
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that one day only ruins everything if you let it. Log it and move on. Some people let one day derail them, but stay consistent and one day is only that - one day. Also, a 4 lb gain overnight on the scale is pretty normal and sounds like a fluctuation. I don't even bother weighing in on Mondays anymore because the scale always shows a weight that is 3-5 lbs heavier than it was a few days before. But by Wednesday or Thursday, that 3-5 lbs plus more is gone.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ^^ This!! Log it, learn from it, accept it, and move the heck on..... If you dwell on it and say, "screw it, I've ruined everything so I might as well not even try anymore....." Then, yes, 1 day can ruin everything.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

sanfromny wrote: »

Right??!?

When I first picked back up the MFP habit after having baby #3 I just ate as I normally did and logged, granted I didnt lose the first couple of weeks- but it was like HOLY HELL I can pack away some food. Needlessly so. Once I saw it in front of me- in "black and white" (actually white and blue) it was more than motivating to change it.
    Sometimes its easier to know where you need to go after you actually see where you've been.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    purelush wrote: »
    Yes as the title says, seems yesterday I've put up nearly 4 lbs according to today's scales!
    Grrrrrrrrrr so much for having a day off for mothers day - there goes all my hard work! #frustrating

Hi
    That happens to me if I eat Chinese Takeout or go to the Chinese Buffet. I can easily be up 4 pounds or more over the next two days, then it starts dropping off at 1 or 2 pounds a day. It is just water weight. Most food You do not make yourself is loaded with Sodium (Salt for taste)

Do Not let it worry You
    Good Luck
    Roger
  • ABHY7
    ABHY7 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reassurance! Need to get back on track & keep going
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »

If you sat around and ate bacon and pancakes and coffeecake and croissants for breakfast, then pizza and cheesecake and a loaf of garlic bread and a gallon of ice cream and a six-pack of coke, then a costco-sized bag of chips and a pack of fun-size snickers, and a pack of tortillas, and then a pound of pasta with butter and cheese, yes, you might be able to.

I'll take one of everything you just mentioned. Just hold the bacon and diet coke Please! lol

I will take your bacon and diet coke!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reassurance! Need to get back on track & keep going

Yup. The majority of your days determine the majority of your progress.

And a recommendation: Learn to do "weight management arithmetic" in your head. It's very reassuring.

You would need to eat about 3500 calories over your maintenance calorie level to gain a pound. Anything else is water weight or weight of food still in your system. If you're losing one pound a week, 3500 calories over maintenance one day translates to zero loss for the ensuing week. If you do that once a week, your weight holds steady forever. If you do it once a quarter, meh (probably). Fewer calories over maintenance, fewer days delay in reaching your ultimate goal.

If you learn to estimate the numbers in your head, you can even do the estimate before you eat, and decide whether it's worth it to you. Just watch out for the fact that we all want to make our current self happy a little bit more strongly than we want to make our future self healthy - that conceptual problem is how we ended up needing to lose weight in the first place! :wink:
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    No, as long as you get back into it the next day! I've had a lot of bad food days over the past two months for some reason. Usually on a weekend day lol. But I limit it to the day or the meal and then I pick back up the next day. I feel like for my sanity I need to have days where I can let loose a little. I try to keep logging though so I don't end up going thousands of calories over
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hope not, cuz I just ate almost 1000 calories worth of pizza. (And I don't regret a second of it!)
    Seriously, a splurge day here and there won't hurt anything. I usually stock up exercise calories or do a little extra cardio in the days after to compensate. Any 'day after bloat' is just that- water weight helping you digest and flush out all that extra food and sodium. :)

My partner can't do splurge days- He has a really hard time getting back on track afterwards.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Can one day ruin one day of hard work? Yeah. Can it ruin weeks upon weeks of hard work? No. You might lose less this week. Big whoop.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yes as the title says, seems yesterday I've put up nearly 4 lbs according to today's scales!
    Grrrrrrrrrr so much for having a day off for mothers day - there goes all my hard work! #frustrating

Although a lot of people weigh every day (I do), perhaps you just need to get back to working hard and if you know you've had an off day, don't weigh. Your defeat is emotional, not physical. It's up to you to not let it interfere with your long term goals.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    In my opinion no if you have the will power and control yourself.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options

I like the way you talk.