Lactose intolerant... and no soy. Dairy alternatives? (not just milk)

Options
Hi all,
I'm supposed to avoid lactose because it seriously irritates my eczema and my stomach does not agree with it. I'm also not supposed to be eating soy because of thyroid and hormone things (these are all things instructed by qualified NHS doctors and dietitians, not woo from the internet!).

As such, I'm running out of options and wondered what other people like to use as alternatives? I love Arla's Lactofree range, especially the milk, but it's expensive and only comes in 1l cartons so I need to buy a lot of it which my wallet doesn't like (and makes me look like a milk obsessive at the checkout).

I also use their lactofree cheese but it only comes in mild and I'm a mature kinda gal. They also do a fair raspberry/strawberry yoghurt pack.

But that's where it stops. I LOVE greek yoghurt, and miss it so much, but haven't yet found an alternative. What about other milk options? I've discovered almond milk is nice in porridge.

Any other recommendations that are available in the UK? Cutting out dairy just isn't an option for me, so I need to find suitable alternatives that are tasty!

Also recommendations for lactose free protein would be a fab help too; I tried pea protein but it tastes like sand.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is pretty awesome!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try coconut yogurt.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Try coconut yogurt.

I like coconut yogurt.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great as a milk alternative. Just be careful here in the UK with the "coconut yoghurts" - I LOVE the one Tesco do but it's just regular yoghurt with coconut in it. I found that out the hard way hahaha my poor tummy!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and I stick to the lactofree stuff by Arla too. I miss being able to eat different yoghurts though, they only do strawberry and raspberry lactofree yoghurt. Generally I just put up with not being able to eat certain things, it certainly helps on the diet side of things, especially like not being able to eat ice cream. If there's something that I really want to eat though, I have bought Lactase Enzyme Tablets that you take before you eat something containing lactose. It converts the lactose for you once you've consumed it.
  • VivaLaResistance9
    VivaLaResistance9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Cashew milk. And I am not sure if it will work in your case but my partner is lactose intolerant and He uses fairlife (cause he loves chocolate milk) and it is supposed to be lactose free. i would just ignore their old adverts for the product lol.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I almost envy your need to be lactose free. There seem to be more main stream like products that can be available lactose free.

I discovered my casein intolerance among others thanks to private testing, NHS experts told me repeatedly, I have no problem with milk!! Casein troubles are more common in the UK, it can mean all goat dairy may be possible because the dominant casein protein is of a different type. Goat milk is closest to human milk.

I've been on line to look into Lactose, according to the Mayo Clinic there are three different types of intolerance, primary, secondary and congenital/developmental. It seems to come down to insufficient lactase production and the milk sugars pass through undigested. Food Programme (UK Radio 4) a couple of years ago did a program on A2 milk. Interestingly A2 milk does not cause issues in many who are said to have lactose intolerance. From the A2 advertisement it seems its a1 intolerance which causes eczema, mucus, skin issues,

I found Patient.co.uk, part of the NHS network, it says cheddar, Edam, parmisan and Emental contain very little lactose. Hints a little may not cause as great an issue, obviously this would be person specific. They also say lactase supplement products can be found in health food shops. The principal here is to replace/support the lactase a lactose intolerant person is lacking. NHS Choices was less helpful.

I prefer rice milk. Oat milk seems floury to me having eliminated all dairy for 4 months. There are vegan cheeses some made from coconut oil and the like but they don't have nutritional values of dairy cheeses. Could you try nut butters? The range is increasing, I saw cashew and I think Almond the other day our main supermarkets. You may find something interesting on Vegan sites or in the niche foody sort of shops. There is, Moo Free chocolate, available in branches of Waitrose and larger Sainsbury's (purchased for grandchild)

As for your thyroid issues, you may find the information pack provided by Thyroid UK useful (it was £10 recently) available on the website. Also Stop the thyroid Madness, site US based also has information too. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis and the NHS in most areas does not differentiate hypo and hashi which is only diagnosed by the presence of antibodies but often this test is not performed. The treatment is only ever the same, t4. Reducing these antibodies does not seem to be considered, well by the endo I used to see. T4 only supplementation is the NICE treatment of choice but it does not suit everyone. Thyroid UK lists the treatment options which should be available. I have had to go outside the NHS because I have been told the only treatment is t4 and I react to both the pills and liquid and there is nothing hypo-allergenic available.

Sorting the HPAT axis could well see off all food and environmental intolerances. Endo texts.

Best of luck
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been using cashew milk for about the last year or two and really like it. I have also heard people using rice or coconut milk as an alternative. For cheese and yogurt maybe you could look into some vegan options.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Cabot brand cheeses are lactose free.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Be aware of all the aliases for soy: natural flavors, etc. Try your hand at making nut milks with your blender.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There's also hemp protein and rice protein out there that you could try. I've seen ones that come in vanilla or chocolate flavor, too.

You could try the brand Oatly, who make a lot of dairy alternatives from oats. I like their oat milks (also a chocolate one), oat cream and just last weekend I even had their cream cheese. Almond milk is fantastic, but definitely give rice milk and others a try too to see how you like them.

There's also a plant based cheese brand called Viotros/Violife and I believe the main ingredient (instead of soy) is coconut oil and some other vegetable oils. They make different cream cheeses and also cheese blocks.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Have you researched Raw Milk at all? If it's legal in your state, it could be worth a try. Goats Milk is also a great alternative. I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can make dairy alternatives yourself using nuts. You can buy them too, but they are expensive (although I honestly prefer them to the "real deal"). The Vegan Pantry is a great book.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.

Organic almonds, spring water, organic acacia gum and sea salt.

Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Filtered water, organic brown rice (partially milled), organic expeller pressed safflower and/or canola oil, tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, vitamin B12.

Sound like such unhealthy ingredients don't they :s
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »

+1
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fairlife milk, Silk Cashew milk, Chobani plain greek yogurt is 95% lactose free and I've heard oikos yogurt may be. Do you have an Aldi where you live? Their Happy Farms sliced cheddar and mozzerella have a lactose free stamp on the back. A lot of the cashew and coconut ice creams are good along with coconut whipped topping. I'm not sure what you mean about the protein because most if not all are lactose free..?
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I personally use Almond or soy milk. My daughter drinks Rice milk.

I don't have issues with soy so I am fine using things like faux cheese and things like Tofutti.

Be careful as milk is in almost every packaged item!
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you researched Raw Milk at all? If it's legal in your state, it could be worth a try. Goats Milk is also a great alternative. I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.

I've heard this many times over the years but unfortunately goats milk has lactose in it as well, even raw. Some people who are milk intolerant tolerate it better but if you are truly lactose intolerant it is a big no no.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »

+1

+2
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything like Coconut or Almond Milk or Rice Milk, they are full of additives and things that you may not want to put in to your body.

Organic almonds, spring water, organic acacia gum and sea salt.

Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Filtered water, organic brown rice (partially milled), organic expeller pressed safflower and/or canola oil, tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, vitamin B12.

Sound like such unhealthy ingredients don't they :s

Do you know what acacia gum is? Or what constitutes "natural flavor"? Do you regularly consume vegetable oils? I certainly don't want them added to my beverages.

Different strokes for different folks, I'd rather not put any of those additives in to my body and get my vitamins from whole foods, not through fortified beverages. Do you know what the ingredients in goats milk are? Goats milk.