How do people run so much

Options
I have seen people's feed who run for 60 mins daily . I can hardly go on for 60 seconds . I have been trying for a while . I sometimes run 60 sec then take 30 sec break then run again for 60 . Any suggestion how I can improve and run better

Replies

• KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I get all breathless in first few mins and have low stamina I guess
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you tried the couch 2 5k program?
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Nope what is it
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    It's a running plan for beginners. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the C25K, it builds you up gradually. I couldn't run for a minute a few weeks ago now I can go 8 minutes (I'm on week 5)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Can you walk for the desired time or the desired distance? If not, first work your way up to a brisk walk for e.g. 30 or 60 minutes or 5K or whatever is your goal. Then add running intervals. Slow running intervals, of e.g. 1 min every 3-4 min walking. Slow enough that they might be slower than your brisk walk. Then gradually increase running periods.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Couch to 5km, because of that app I ran for 20 minutes today!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    khpsrt wrote: »
    I have seen people's feed who run for 60 mins daily . I can hardly go on for 60 seconds . I have been trying for a while . I sometimes run 60 sec then take 30 sec break then run again for 60 . Any suggestion how I can improve and run better

I'd agree with the suggestion of following a plan. The main thing is running at á pace that you can sustain, rather than flat out. A common issue for new runners is going too fast.

I started with C25K about three years ago. The first day was challenging. Raced my first 10K about a year later, having been running that distance for five months or so. Then Half Marathon another six months after that. Again I was running the distance for a couple of months before the race.

Next HM is this coming Sunday with two Marathons and another four HMs this year.

All that said, personally I probably wouldn't run for an hour every day.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I also use couch 2 5k. I'm in the middle of week 5. Two 8-minute running stretches with a 5 min walk in between.

Basically, you have to build up your endurance and fitness levels. That's why c25k is a good program, it's very effective in doing just that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I'd echo the advice of getting a decent plan in place.

I would also like to add that I have run distances up to a HM and the first few minutes of every run, to this day, are always sucky. This is because you use your anaerobic system for a little while before your aerobic system kicks in and things feel more "comfortable".

I think this quite natural process puts a lot of people off because they think the first few minutes of exertion reflects what it will feel like for the entire run and they feel it will be too hard, they can never improve and so on.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I'd echo the advice of getting a decent plan in place.

I would also like to add that I have run distances up to a HM and the first few minutes of every run, to this day, are always sucky. This is because you use your anaerobic system for a little while before your aerobic system kicks in and things feel more "comfortable".

I think this quite natural process puts a lot of people off because they think the first few minutes of exertion reflects what it will feel like for the entire run and they feel it will be too hard, they can never improve and so on.

^^Agree with this. Some people call it the Toxic 10 - first 10 mins of a run that feel like hell, but after that things settle down. It's very, very rare for me to feel great running right off the bat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i started running in August 2014... i did 2 miles and thought i was going to die... last Saturday i did just short of 9 miles...

to get better at running you just need to run...
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Couch To 5K program. Last January, I could barely run for 1 minute on end. These days? 30-60 minutes a day, depending on how I'm feeling/schedule/weather.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I didn't do couch to 5k, I did Jeff Galloways training for a half marathon a few years ago. It took me twice as long but when I was ready to run again after my 4th was born I was able to jump into it. Don't compare where you are to anyone else.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I can't believe nobody has told you to slow down. It's the most important piece of advice you don't want to hear! First, you gain enough stamina to run at just barely any faster than your walking speed for the distance you want to run (or time - whichever your goal is). Once you can keep up the motion you can figure out how to get the speed that will make you feel serious about "being a real runner." C25K is great for both parts of this. First, do all those running intervals super-slow. When you have a 5k worth of running down pat, you can "jog" the entire workout with your "run" intervals a bit faster.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ^^^This. Almost all beginner runners start off way too fast. Slow down and don't be afraid of walk breaks. Movement is movement. Not every run needs to be at super-speedy race pace. I am a distance runner, My marathon pace is ~9 minute miles. I run my long runs at ~11-12 minute miles. AKA, way slower than my race pace. It's all about time on your feet.
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with c25k! The program is awesome. I have completed it twice already and am doing it for the third time. However, definitely focus on slowing down. My running/jogging pace is SUPER slow but my heart rate is way up there and it's the safest pace for me.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Take the long term view. Nobody starts off running 60 minutes a day - let yourself be a beginner. And if you enjoy it enough, and you keep going, in a year people will be asking YOU how you do it. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I can't believe nobody has told you to slow down.
    The main thing is running at á pace that you can sustain, rather than flat out. A common issue for new runners is going too fast.

• NikkiShells81
    NikkiShells81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend the C25K app. Started last July. Couldn't run for 10 seconds. Took me 6 months but was finally able to run a full mile in January. Two months later I'm up to 3 miles/30 minutes running. Not fast, but endurance is there. Speed comes with time, I guess. Good luck!