Check Myfitnesspal prior to ordering!

Options
majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
OMG.

I usually just have a regular double double ( coffee here in Canada) in the morning. It's about 210 Cals.for it. I got a free coffee this morning, with it being Monday, I ordered a Large triple triple..

420 Cals later when you are under 5 feet tall is A LOT of calories for just one coffee lol

I wont be making THAT mistake again !! eep!

Anyone else have similar experiences and wish they would have checked in here prior to ordering and consuming?

Replies

• ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I actually did check MFP before ordering at Moe's yesterday. I looked up a Steak Joey Jr. burrito, but it would put me a bit over my carbs for the day, so I decided I could lower that by asking for no rice. Brilliant! However, it turns out the entry I had looked up was wrong, because when I input my order into Moe's nutrition facts on their site, the burrito without rice ended up right at the same number of carbs as the entry I had looked up in the beginning! Sigh. Next time I guess I have to do ALL the research before I even get to the restaurant.
  • majigurl
    Options
    ghimm wrote: »
    I actually did check MFP before ordering at Moe's yesterday. I looked up a Steak Joey Jr. burrito, but it would put me a bit over my carbs for the day, so I decided I could lower that by asking for no rice. Brilliant! However, it turns out the entry I had looked up was wrong, because when I input my order into Moe's nutrition facts on their site, the burrito without rice ended up right at the same number of carbs as the entry I had looked up in the beginning! Sigh. Next time I guess I have to do ALL the research before I even get to the restaurant.

I know we will get better at this, but when it something new and you really don't think it will be as much.. it's a bummer.. lol

Luckily MFP makes searching relatively easy.. but ugh.. some days it doesn't work out well for us lol

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    OMG.

I usually just have a regular double double ( coffee here in Canada) in the morning. It's about 210 Cals.for it. I got a free coffee this morning, with it being Monday, I ordered a Large triple triple..

420 Cals later when you are under 5 feet tall is A LOT of calories for just one coffee lol

Anyone else have similar experiences and wish they would have checked in here prior to ordering and consuming?

Oh yes, several times - I guess it takes a while for me to learn haha and at 5'1" I definitely understand dealing with an unexpected calorie bomb when you don't have a lot of calories to work with to begin with haha

My most recent experience was comparing two different fast food places in my head thinking one was better calorie wise than the other. After logging it, not only were they not much different but I remembered why we don't frequent fast food anymore - I was hungry about an hour later haha

• NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    At 5'1", that's like the story of my life haha.
  • majigurl
    Options
    OMG.

Oh yes, several times - I guess it takes a while for me to learn haha and at 5'1" I definitely understand dealing with an unexpected calorie bomb when you don't have a lot of calories to work with to begin with haha

My most recent experience was comparing two different fast food places in my head thinking one was better calorie wise than the other. After logging it, not only were they not much different but I remembered why we don't frequent fast food anymore - I was hungry like an hour later haha

Yes!! I'm just under 5 feet.. so I hear you! 200 cals difference is HUGE for us! It was the triple triple that killed me .. I should have stuck with double double but I was uping quantity and wanted to stick with the same taste.. I thought maybe 80 cals? nope lol

Fast food is the worse! we ate out for lunch this weekend also because we were car shopping ( oh joy ) .. I usually try and stick with the kids menu with water.

Had an adult meal with a soda ( though only had a few sips ).. but that pretty much equaled my whole day worth of calories.. ouch. There really is NOTHING nutritional in fast food meals. I get hungry soon after also but have zero allowance for anything else. Need to pack snacks and meals when I know we wont be home. But how realistically does that :/

• majigurl
    Options
    NemEhes wrote: »
    At 5'1", that's like the story of my life haha.

2 inches shorter here.. I hear you!!! lol It adds up SO fast !

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Haha I remember like 2-3 years ago, I was new to eating "healthy" and exercising. I was doing really well though, cooking most of my own meals and watching what I eat. One day I was out and about with my mom and she decided to stop at Starbucks. I thought, "what the hell, get me an old fav, a venti white mocha. Can't be that terrible."
    I drank the whole thing even though it tasted way too sweet. I think I got like a crazy sugar rush then an awful crash and I finally looked at the nutrition facts online and I actually started crying. "600 calories?? For THAT???"
  • majigurl
    Options
    Haha I remember like 2-3 years ago, I was new to eating "healthy" and exercising. I was doing really well though, cooking most of my own meals and watching what I eat. One day I was out and about with my mom and she decided to stop at Starbucks. I thought, "what the hell, get me an old fav, a venti white mocha. Can't be that terrible."
    I drank the whole thing even though it tasted way too sweet. I think I got like a crazy sugar rush then an awful crash and I finally looked at the nutrition facts online and I actually started crying. "600 calories?? For THAT???"

600 omg.. for one DRINK.. I don't drink my calories other than my one coffee in the morning.. 600 cals is half my days worth of calories!
    No wonder we so easily pack on the weight .. imagine those that have 2 of those a day?!? :o

• WifiresGettingFit
    Options

Yes!! I'm just under 5 feet.. so I hear you! 200 cals difference is HUGE for us! It was the triple triple that killed me .. I should have stuck with double double but I was uping quantity and wanted to stick with the same taste.. I thought maybe 80 cals? nope lol

Fast food is the worse! we ate out for lunch this weekend also because we were car shopping ( oh joy ) .. I usually try and stick with the kids menu with water.

Had an adult meal with a soda ( though only had a few sips ).. but that pretty much equaled my whole day worth of calories.. ouch. There really is NOTHING nutritional in fast food meals. I get hungry soon after also but have zero allowance for anything else. Need to pack snacks and meals when I know we wont be home. But how realistically does that :/

No kidding there - 200 is the difference between me getting dessert or not! and I've been trying to be better at planning so I have do have the wiggle room later in the day for my dessert haha

Good luck on the car shopping!, I can hear the excitement you have :P

There are some good choices out there - I just never make them haha

I personally would rather just eat at home - that way I can weigh my food and I know exactly how it's being made and what is going into it.
  • majigurl
    Options

No kidding there - 200 is the difference between me getting dessert or not! and I've been trying to be better at planning so I have do have the wiggle room later in the day for my dessert haha

Good luck on the car shopping!, I can hear the excitement you have :P

There are some good choices out there - I just never make them haha

I personally would rather just eat at home - that way I can weigh my food and I know exactly how it's being made and what is going into it.

was loads of fun with 2 kids haha.. If it would have been just hubby and I , we would have gone home to eat.. but with 2 kids wanting food, you get the food. Especially when home is 45 mins away.

We hardly ever get to eat out anymore so the kids were hopeful that a boring car shopping experience would be treated with eating out lol who can blame them!

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah! I hear ya.

I was recently in town for a morning meeting. Next door was a Panera Bread so I went in for a coffee and thought I'd have one of their low calorie muffins for breakfast. The calorific content stated something that was within my allowance. Unfortunately for me, I'd actually picked up a cranberry and walnut muffin and it was over 500 calories and when you're a shade under 5' 2", that is an awfully big breakfast. Sigh.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options

I had a similar thing happen - only it was a milkshake from a fast food place. I was thinking around 350 calories for it (which I made room for) nope - 715 calories later haha so that started my own milkshake shop at my house haha
  • majigurl
    Options
    Oh heck yeah! I hear ya.

I was recently in town for a morning meeting. Next door was a Panera Bread so I went in for a coffee and thought I'd have one of their low calorie muffins for breakfast. The calorific content stated something that was within my allowance. Unfortunately for me, I'd actually picked up a cranberry and walnut muffin and it was over 500 calories and when you're a shade under 5' 2", that is an awfully big breakfast. Sigh.

omg.. 500 cals for just one muffin oh no!!!

yep.. under 5 feet here.. so a muffin is a no no for me. I have dropped them from my diet completely. They are just not worth it lol

• majigurl
    Options

I had a similar thing happen - only it was a milkshake from a fast food place. I was thinking around 350 calories for it (which I made room for) nope - 715 calories later haha so that started my own milkshake shop at my house haha

715 for just one milkshake? wow.. I hope it was the yummiest milkshake ever at that "cost"

• WifiresGettingFit
    Options

was loads of fun with 2 kids haha.. If it would have been just hubby and I , we would have gone home to eat.. but with 2 kids wanting food, you get the food. Especially when home is 45 mins away.

We hardly ever get to eat out anymore so the kids were hopeful that a boring car shopping experience would be treated with eating out lol who can blame them!

haha I wouldn't blame any of you. Around here a 45 minute trip can turn into 2 hours if there is traffic (or an accident) and there is usually one or the other - especially at certain times and hungry people stuck in traffic turn into hangry people :P

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

715 for just one milkshake? wow.. I hope it was the yummiest milkshake ever at that "cost"

Easy enough. A large (32 oz) milkshake from Whataburger is 910 calories!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited March 2016
    Options

It used to be my favorite! Now, not so much haha I much prefer the ones I make at home.
    Though I will say there is this ice cream place like 30 minutes from here that make the best milkshakes so I will splurge on those when they open because we only get them once in a while. It's about the only milkshake I'll forgo my calories for now. (They don't have nutritional information available so I can only guess how many calories a small one is but I would guess around 500.)

EDIT: I just checked out of curiosity. It was 710 calories 15 grams of protein 108 carbs and 26 grams of fat.

Easy enough. A large (32 oz) milkshake from Whataburger is 910 calories!

I'm glad there isn't one of those around here - I do love my milkshakes haha

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just never buy food or drinks out, and put the money into a Hawaii fund....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, I never get anything from a place with calories posted without checking the calories.
    And I never get anything besides coffee in coffee, because it tastes better black.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It can be surprising what all is in things. Usually, I will plan out my meals for the day...starting with dinner...then lunch...then snacks. I make sure I get all my things in the green. And I stick as close to it as I can. If I make or think about making any changes I log it first to see how it changes everything.